EJECTION !! The Penalty For 'Targeting' Hits

ACC head of officials just said the Clowney hit would likely be ok upon replay review. Everybody calm down.

Reactions: 1 person
I can see that. Billions of $$$$ the schools, networks, etc etc etc don't need. Or want.

The other half is won pre-game when the better team screams and shouts and jumps up and down the best.

Maybe we should rename it headball or deathball or warball...or warble.

:good!:

Let's get the blood on!! Where's the DEATH?

:hi:

This is some of the dumbest stuff I have ever heard.

If you really watch games, worried someone will die from head trauma, then go take an anatomy class or something, maybe that will ease your mind.

If someone is not considered defenseless, no single hit will be hard enough to kill them. It will not happen. Ever.

Repeated hits and neck breaks are a different issue that is not solved by this rule.

I mean, I don't know what else to say... Have you ever played football? A sport at all?

I have done various martial arts for 15 years. I have been knocked out 3 times. I was out before I hit the ground twice. In high school, I received atleast 4 concussions.

I have never felt like my life was in danger, and I have experienced 0 permanent symptoms. I would say those numbers are higher than the average football player.

If the sport is too violent for you, or it makes you nervous to watch, then don't.

The fact of the matter is, these players, when given proper medical care and assistance, are in no danger to their lives, outside of the tiny amount of risk to life involved in any activity...

Including: running, swimming, baseball, basketball, soccer...

And, god forbid, the sports that involve higher velocity hits than football, including: hockey, NASCAR, boxing, kickboxing, and wrestling.

Pattycake.gif

Reactions: 2 people
The fact of the matter is, these players, when given proper medical care and assistance, are in no danger to their lives, outside of the tiny amount of risk to life involved in any activity.

No, players aren't dying on the field, but many of them are having their brains permanently damaged.

If you're OK with that, so be it. But don't pretend it isn't happening.

....and next year the NCAA will be putting pink hair ribbons & lacy panties on each player, you know, just to soften up play!

No, players aren't dying on the field, but many of them are having their brains permanently damaged.

If you're OK with that, so be it. But don't pretend it isn't happening.

Apparently you missed the part where I said "given proper medical care"

Concussions are being diagnosed, and from this point moving forward, players will be shut down before there is permanent brain damage, I assure you.

Concussions are easily self-diagnosed, and playing through them offers the same clear risks as playing through any other injury.

The process of distinguishing between the garden-variety 15-yd. infraction of this rule and infractions which result in ejection will open up a very nasty can of worms. On the other hand, this rule should, at least, reintroduce an entire generation of football players to textbook tackling, as opposed to the shoulder bump and forearm shiver hits which invariably make their way on to the ESPN highlight reel films.

If hits above the shoulders will result in the defender's ejection, we should start recruiting little people. Tacklers would have to lie down on the turf for the hit to be legal and our little dude could easily change direction and run past the prone defender. Plus, it is fun to watch their short legs as they run.

Let's get that guy on the pit bull show!

yeah, i'll admit it. we're human beings. deal with it.

there's a reason people creep by a car accident on the highway and "rubbberneck". it isn't to see if everyone involved is ok. they want to see hwo cool the crash was. how jacked up the car is.

when we watch boxing, we want to see knockouts. we want to see people pummel one another. we don't want to see people jab and dance around the ring.

my anger with all this is (1) pretending we are above that, (2) determining which things are ok and which aren't on a whim (3) the people making the decision and (4) why. if people were concerned about death, we could go after equestrian before football.

so, again, let's look at auto racing. people participate in an activity that kills people yearly. far more people have died on racetracks than from football related injuries.

but, that's ok. it's ok to die on a racetrack. unless it's a famous driver like dale earnhardt, then we freak out for a while. but, otherwise, no one cares.

but, football players getting injured. we can't have that.

and these rule changes aren't going to change anything but the game.

rules have been changed to protect the qb. intentional grounding is basically legal and you pretty much are no longer allowed to hit the qb. yet, half the qb's in the league are injured during the year. there is nothing to suggest that anything they have done to protect qb's have actually protected qb's.

if we were concerned about death in football, we would focus on people playing the game not having heart conditions as the leading cause of death has been from heart related problems while on the practice field in the summer.

but, those deaths aren't from a violent hit. so, that's ok. it's ok to die during two a days.

I'd make the argument that Dale Sr.'s death may have done more for the popularity of NASCAR than any other single event in it's history. It may have just been coincidence, but the sport enjoyed a massive popularity boom in the years immediately following his death. Either way, if NASCAR's most popular driver can be killed on the final lap of it's most famous race and not only survive, but thrive in it's wake, I'm pretty sure football could survive the minuscule chance that a player would be killed during the course of a game. As you said, it's not like football players haven't been getting paralyzed or dying during summer practice for years.

I get the criticism on the enforcement, but those not happy with this seriously can't be the upset about them not allowing free shots to QBs and punters and the such.

I get the enforcement will be bad, but I'm not going to call players sissies for them taking away the chance to get blindsided. That's just stupid and lot of armchair athletes are talking a lot of crap they know they couldn't back up.

Why don't we just get "death row athletes" to play the game. Then we don't care how bad they get hurt. And a really good hit gets you $5 at the prison commisary!

And put spikes on the football so it will be easier to catch.

This is some of the dumbest stuff I have ever heard.

If you really watch games, worried someone will die from head trauma, then go take an anatomy class or something, maybe that will ease your mind.

If someone is not considered defenseless, no single hit will be hard enough to kill them. It will not happen. Ever.

Repeated hits and neck breaks are a different issue that is not solved by this rule.

I mean, I don't know what else to say... Have you ever played football? A sport at all?

I have done various martial arts for 15 years. I have been knocked out 3 times. I was out before I hit the ground twice. In high school, I received atleast 4 concussions.

I have never felt like my life was in danger, and I have experienced 0 permanent symptoms. I would say those numbers are higher than the average football player.

If the sport is too violent for you, or it makes you nervous to watch, then don't.

The fact of the matter is, these players, when given proper medical care and assistance, are in no danger to their lives, outside of the tiny amount of risk to life involved in any activity...

Including: running, swimming, baseball, basketball, soccer...

And, god forbid, the sports that involve higher velocity hits than football, including: hockey, NASCAR, boxing, kickboxing, and wrestling.

Actually you may not know for a while if you have permanent damage or not. What we know about all this is just now starting to come out.

So to say for certain they aren't in any danger or not doing any permanent damage is silly to say at this point because the growing evidence states otherwise.

If all this is TRULY about safety, then on the other side of the ball they need to implement an automatic ejection for any receiver who leaves his feet to catch a pass. Eliminating that would advance safety light years farther and be infinitely easier to enforce than trying to split hairs about how a defender hit somebody. But, of course this won't ever happen because IMO this whole issue has very little to do with actual player safety.

I would have liked seeing you take VolFanHill's head off...

Nah. First off, I have socks that are older than him.

Next, he owns guns. Don't want to get the "Trayvon Treatment".

Thirdly, he's smarter than anyone else here...especially me.

Best if I give him a wide berth.

Go Vols.

Actually you may not know for a while if you have permanent damage or not. What we know about all this is just now starting to come out.

So to say for certain they aren't in any danger or not doing any permanent damage is silly to say at this point because the growing evidence states otherwise.

I just can't wrap my head around people being appalled by potential concussion injuries when we've seen before our very eyes players get paralyzed on the field, a fate far worse IMO than any sort of brain damage that might appear at least 10-20 years down the road. How many people if presented with the option of either never moving another muscle in their body below their neck EVER again, or POSSIBLY suffering some side effects of from multiple concussions years later would choose the paralysis to avoid the concussion symptoms?

My point of course being that for years we've made our peace with occasional catastrophic neck injuries simply being an unfortunate by-product of a violent game, so why are we now unable to do the same with concussions?

so, again, let's look at auto racing. people participate in an activity that kills people yearly. far more people have died on racetracks than from football related injuries.

One difference being that race drivers are being paid to take the risk, while student athletes aren't being paid anything to risk their future health.

One difference being that race drivers are being paid to take the risk, while student athletes aren't being paid anything to risk their future health.

True, but the watering down of football clearly began at the top with Goodell trying to eliminate the violence from the NFL, a league where the players ARE being paid to take those risks.

Why don't we just get "death row athletes" to play the game. Then we don't care how bad they get hurt. And a really good hit gets you $5 at the prison commisary!

And put spikes on the football so it will be easier to catch.

No it might be nice to have a game show like "The Running Man" for Death Row inmates. If they survive Their death sentence could be reduced to life or possibility of Parole.

I just can't wrap my head around people being appalled by potential concussion injuries when we've seen before our very eyes players get paralyzed on the field, a fate far worse IMO than any sort of brain damage that might appear at least 10-20 years down the road. How many people if presented with the option of either never moving another muscle in their body below their neck EVER again, or POSSIBLY suffering some side effects of from multiple concussions years later would choose the paralysis to avoid the concussion symptoms?

My point of course being that for years we've made our peace with occasional catastrophic neck injuries simply being an unfortunate by-product of a violent game, so why are we now unable to do the same with concussions?

Because the long term effects of concussions are being better understood and can be mitigated to a degree.

Because the long term effects of concussions are being better understood and can be mitigated to a degree.

GA, I'm all for anything that makes the game safer. At every level. Meanwhile, back at the college level...

If, for sake of argument, the penalty would apply to a defender who makes contact with a ball carrier...either leading with his helmet, or making initial contact above the shoulders of the ballcarrier...

...then will the same penalty be called on the ballcarrier who lowers his helmet to meet a defender head-first?

If so, then I'm good with it. Level playing field.

Go Vols.

VN Store

Back