Electric Vehicles

I never thought I would hear someone bragging about taking only 6 hours to fill their car up with electricity.
Do you charge your phone or laptop?

That's a ridiculous comment.

I actually just filled my car up when I went out to clean the windows, and it took me exactly 10 seconds to plug it in.

Time your next trip to the gas station and get back to me.

Do you charge your phone or laptop?

That's a ridiculous comment.

I actually just filled my car up when I went out to clean the windows, and it took me exactly 10 seconds to plug it in.

Time your next trip to the gas station and get back to me.

Filled up my gas guzzling F150 today. Took 5 minutes or less.

Do rely on batteries for 2 iphones, 3 ipads, 2 Roku remotes, laptop. It's ridiculous.

That came across wrong, no offense.

A year or two ago, I made fun of EVs.

I'm a super-conservative, pro-2A, climate change denying, anti-CV19 radical (in some people's eyes).

My T M3P is by far the most fun, fastest car I've ever driven, it was relatively inexpensive, and it's already saved me tons of money in gas and maintenance.

I don't care what anyone else drives. I love vintage muscle cars. I wish a 911 GT fit my financial plan. The government has no business telling people what to drive.

But, I would really encourage a few of y'all to stop reading online BS and give it a thought. The speed and financials are literally undeniable.

Filled up my gas guzzling F150 today. Took 5 minutes or less.

Do rely on batteries for 2 iphones, 3 ipads, 2 Roku remotes, laptop. It's ridiculous.
So, why is it weird to plug a car in while you sleep?

It took you 30x longer of your own actual time to fill up your truck.

I mean, I'm too cheap to go electric but Im not going to make up stuff about fires just to make partisan points....
I don't get why EV fires are partisan. I'm fairly certain anyone around here knows where I stand. For reference, visit the 2A, Covid, or similar threads.

I'm past the age where I care what people think about my car, my politics, or how I choose to vote or raise a family.

Drive what you like. And, if you like to go like a rocketship for an affordable amount of money while saving on gas, consider an EV.

I don't get why EV fires are partisan. I'm fairly certain anyone around here knows where I stand. For reference, visit the 2A, Covid, or similar threads.

I'm past the age where I care what people think about my car, my politics, or how I choose to vote or raise a family.

Drive what you like. And, if you like to go like a rocketship for an affordable amount of money while saving on gas, consider an EV.

It's partisan because the left is attempting to mandate an EV/renewable energy future without having the infrastructure in place to do so. Some will do anything to make the other side look bad, facts be damned.

It's your money, spend it how you see fit. As long as I aint paying for it, then I don't care....

You know I conceded the performance gains a lot of pages ago. I can do math it’s easy to demonstrate the capabilities of constant peak torque from standstill to well above the speed limit. But I’m a full blown red neck F250 4x4 guy for my day driver and there just isn’t anything that could fill that role for me anyway. And I already have my toy car my 96 rag top Cobra.

Several years ago a mgr buddy at work got his dream car which was… a 911. Beautiful car and he loved it. Good for him. He was bragging on the performance to me one day and made some comment like “I could be 0 to 100 before you got to 50” or something like that. To wit I replied “yeah but I can crush your toy car, put it in the bed of my truck and it probably wouldn’t kill ride quality much, and my 0 to 60 times wouldn’t change much nor would my already lousy gas mileage.” 😂 Perspective… 🤷‍♂️

Lightning struck the house next door a couple of years ago and blew the **** out of their wiring and electronics. Somehow, I still sleep soundly.

EDIT: it hit a tree about 30 feet from my headboard around 3 a.m. If you've never experienced that, it's impressive.

Yeah, that would be an impressive experience to say the least. Been close. Maybe not that close. Maybe not quite 10 years ago we were in bed in NE GA and the house started vibrating and things slid off the dresser. It was very eerie to say the least. Come to find out it was tremors from a small earthquake in the NW TN/MO/AR area somewhere. And we got those kind of tremors 8 hours away. Lasted about 30+ seconds.

For the record I was just poking fun. I'm aware of many of your stances and i'm right there with ya.

I'm not against EV's if that's what one wants and enjoys. I'm against the false narratives that it is clean energy, that we are being forced out of vehicle choices, the dependence it puts us on china for the rare earths to make the batteries, or the african countries using child labor to harvest the metals, etc., etc. I'm against the far fringes in here that preach it as saving the planet, when you are doing as much or more harm to the planet to make the batteries and still have to rely on fossil energy to charge the cars. As a mix in the pie, EV's are fine. As a sole forced alternative, it's BS. EV's can be a great alternative for local, and short distance driving. But, if you're gonna road trip you better have a gasser in the stable.

For the record I was just poking fun. I'm aware of many of your stances and i'm right there with ya.

I'm not against EV's if that's what one wants and enjoys. I'm against the false narratives that it is clean energy, that we are being forced out of vehicle choices, the dependence it puts us on china for the rare earths to make the batteries, or the african countries using child labor to harvest the metals, etc., etc. I'm against the far fringes in here that preach it as saving the planet, when you are doing as much or more harm to the planet to make the batteries and still have to rely on fossil energy to charge the cars. As a mix in the pie, EV's are fine. As a sole forced alternative, it's BS. EV's can be a great alternative for local, and short distance driving. But, if you're gonna road trip you better have a gasser in the stable.
100%

Reactions: KptVFL

I always say Obama did more to hinder the green movement than to help.

Stymied a TON of green techs to push Solar Panels. A lot of the energy capture/recapture you see in car breaking was showing up in a lot of household appliances. About the only thing I have seen make it from the prototypes getting tested at ORNL to market are the heat pumps for air/water. But there were a lot of components getting tested to capture "free" energy and convert it into electrical going on pre 2012. Stuff like valves on sewer pipes to create enough energy to light a home. Opening doors, basically anything with a direct mechanical energy applied by a person was able to be captured and used to do something. None of it would fully power a home, but it was all things to drastically reduce energy demand. There was a term like "full capture" kitchens that would catch the waste energy from all the kitchen appliances (typically heat) and that would run the dishwasher or small countertop appliances. It all required batteries really to store it. There were even reverse heating blankets being tested, used a person's own body heat to power a fan. A lot of it was, at the time, targeted for the prepper or disaster recovery markets, where consistent power was difficult to find.

and that was just the power side of things. There was more on recycling, water capture, even some self repairing materials. You still see a little of this with concrete, and that's separate from us figuring out Roman concrete finally.

Granted no way all or even most of it would have been commercially successful, but still the drop off from what was being worked on to what we see now is disappointing, at least in my field.

He is also responsible for changing the dynamics of the users. Government mandates turned off wide swathes of people, and took great technological leaps and made them taboo almost. It takes real talent to do that.

I 100% blame him and his policies for taking a wide eyed college student drunk on the thought of the green possibilities and turned him into a cynic that has watched too much great promise die on altar of politics.

I always say Obama did more to hinder the green movement than to help.

Stymied a TON of green techs to push Solar Panels. A lot of the energy capture/recapture you see in car breaking was showing up in a lot of household appliances. About the only thing I have seen make it from the prototypes getting tested at ORNL to market are the heat pumps for air/water. But there were a lot of components getting tested to capture "free" energy and convert it into electrical going on pre 2012. Stuff like valves on sewer pipes to create enough energy to light a home. Opening doors, basically anything with a direct mechanical energy applied by a person was able to be captured and used to do something. None of it would fully power a home, but it was all things to drastically reduce energy demand. There was a term like "full capture" kitchens that would catch the waste energy from all the kitchen appliances (typically heat) and that would run the dishwasher or small countertop appliances. It all required batteries really to store it. There were even reverse heating blankets being tested, used a person's own body heat to power a fan. A lot of it was, at the time, targeted for the prepper or disaster recovery markets, where consistent power was difficult to find.

and that was just the power side of things. There was more on recycling, water capture, even some self repairing materials. You still see a little of this with concrete, and that's separate from us figuring out Roman concrete finally.

Granted no way all or even most of it would have been commercially successful, but still the drop off from what was being worked on to what we see now is disappointing, at least in my field.

He is also responsible for changing the dynamics of the users. Government mandates turned off wide swathes of people, and took great technological leaps and made them taboo almost. It takes real talent to do that.

I 100% blame him and his policies for taking a wide eyed college student drunk on the thought of the green possibilities and turned him into a cynic that has watched too much great promise die on altar of politics.
my old neighbor installed geothermal in his home. fri’m what i remember the savings were substantial but don’t know the ROI

Reactions: KptVFL
So, at current gas prices, you are getting about 9 cents per mile. Earlier in the thread, I calculated my energy costs, and I'm at 2 cents per mile.

And, I made some kid in a Mustang look like a bitch when he revved his engine at a red light tonight.

Edit: you would probably dress yours a little differently than mine.

I may have said it already (apologies) but we drove a 144 mile round trip a week ago or so, for a total cost of $3.50 (that same trip would have cost roughly $18, at 27mpg $3.50 / gal).

Regular/daily commuters (especially long-distance) will eventually start seeing the upsides to EV (or is it BEV ?).

my old neighbor installed geothermal in his home. fri’m what i remember the savings were substantial but don’t know the ROI
That should pretty well remove any heating/cooling costs, same for water too if he also ran those lines. Upfront cost is huge, ROI takes decades. Really only makes financial sense if you are going to be in the house for a LONG time or its a generational house you are passing down. It is probably the greenest option out there. No harmful metals or materials, usually it runs off water. also typically requires a lot of area.

That should pretty well remove any heating/cooling costs, same for water too if he also ran those lines. Upfront cost is huge, ROI takes decades. Really only makes financial sense if you are going to be in the house for a LONG time or its a generational house you are passing down. It is probably the greenest option out there. No harmful metals or materials, usually it runs off water. also typically requires a lot of area.
he owns a engineering company..so that explains it

Reactions: AM64

Should electric car owners be TAXED? Row breaks out over plan to charge eco motorists in Texas a new $400 registration fee - which is EIGHT times higher than gas drivers pay​

Texans who buy an electric vehicle will have to pay $400 to register their car - eight times the fee paid by gas motorists - under a new policy.

Residents who already own an EV will have to pay a smaller $200 registration fee under the regulation which comes into effect on September 1.

The measure, which is expected to bring in about $38 million in revenue, is being imposed to ensure EV drivers contribute to highway expenses which the state typically pays for through fuel tax.

1693505508969.png

Department of Energy announces $12 Billion to retrofit auto facilities for Electric Vehicles​

The Department of Energy is allocating more than $15 billion to automakers to support the industry’s transition to electric vehicles — but prioritizing certain funding to projects that pay higher wages for workers and maintain bargaining agreements with unions. This move comes as the United Auto Workers has granted union leaders authorization to call strikes during ongoing contract negotiations.

The DOE, which announced the move on Thursday, said that it would be allocating $2 billion in grants and $10 billion in loans to support automakers and part suppliers to retrofit existing facilities and expand the production of electric vehicles and their components. Preference for funding, however, will be given to projects that “commit to high wages for production workers and maintain collective bargaining agreements,” and projects in “longstanding” auto manufacturing communities.

We are at least a decade from a workable F350 to meet the work truck needs.
However if you get the 150 in a 4door electric you can put a diesel generator in the bed and your traveling problems are over.

That came across wrong, no offense.

A year or two ago, I made fun of EVs.

I'm a super-conservative, pro-2A, climate change denying, anti-CV19 radical (in some people's eyes).

My T M3P is by far the most fun, fastest car I've ever driven, it was relatively inexpensive, and it's already saved me tons of money in gas and maintenance.

I don't care what anyone else drives. I love vintage muscle cars. I wish a 911 GT fit my financial plan. The government has no business telling people what to drive.

But, I would really encourage a few of y'all to stop reading online BS and give it a thought. The speed and financials are literally undeniable.
I can see this as a second vehicle, although I am still leery of the resale value of an EV. However, my main thing is if I absolutely have to go more than the EV range in a freaking hurry, the ICE will get me there.

Someone offered to race pages back. When I suggested a race from Chattanooga to Austin, never got a response. That is why we have two ICEs in the garage.

'Manly' men won't buy electric cars because they think it will dent their macho image, study claims​

Electric vehicles (EVs) are often deemed the future of transport, with titans like Ford and Tesla racing to make them.

But a new study reveals that 'more macho' men may not see this the same way, in the bizarre belief that EVs will harm their image.

Dr Michael Parent, a researcher at the University of Texas at Austin (UT), claims that men who prioritise acting 'like a real man' are more likely to frown upon electric-powered cars.

High-performance gasoline vehicles are instead preferred as a marker of masculinity, he says, raising an alarming and unexpected uncertainty for efforts against climate change.

'That is related to a broad set of negative behaviours including sexism, homophobia, aggression, and others.'

Chinese Owners of Planned Michigan EV Plant Make Staff in the Communist State Pledge Allegiance to The Party and Wear Red Army Uniforms on bizarre field trips in China​

• Gotion Inc is developing a taxpayer-subsidized $2.4 billion electric vehicle battery facility in Michigan
The Chinese owners of a company developing a taxpayer-subsidized $2.4 billion electric vehicle battery facility in Michigan make staff pledge allegiance to the Chinese Communist Party and wear Red Army uniforms, reports suggest.

During the trips workers wore Red Army outfits and pledged to 'fight for communism to the end of my life' footage posted on the Chinese battery manufacturer's website shows.

It comes amid rising concerns surrounding Chinese investment in US industries and increased fears Communist spies are infiltrating top businesses and educational institutions.

Gotion Inc, the California-based company which is 'wholly owned and controlled' by Gotion High-Tech, according to a Foreign Agents Registration Act filing.

1693617870856.png
PLANNED MICHIGAN EV PLANT: The planned factory will occupy a swathe of land just outside the Big Rapids area, and will cost $2.4 Billion to make

Reactions: Orangeburst

VN Store

Back