Electric Vehicles

My background would be to design to be demolished by a train and then figure an accident with a car or semi are probably survivable. If the NRC got into the act, the design basis would be a car stalled at a RR crossing demolished in a head on collision of two speeding trains.
Nothing wrong with a little engineering overkill.

Reactions: AM64
How Long does it take to Charge YOUR electric car?

The amount of time that it takes to charge an electric car can vary significantly between models - making it an important consideration for any buyer.

While it only takes a few minutes to fill a gas tank, electric vehicles take hours to charge - and the total time varying depending on the strength of the energy source.

'The slowest way to charge an EV is Level 1, which is a household outlet - just like you would plug a lamp into,' Matt Degen, senior editor for research company Kelley Blue Book told DailyMail.com. 'This would typically only add around three to four miles of range per hour.'

'Level 2 are the higher outlet systems that you can have installed in your home or find at most charging stations. Generally that will add 10 to 20 miles of range per hour,' he said.

'Level 3, or fast chargers,' he continued, 'which include some Tesla superchargers, are only found in public.

'These can charge an EV in ideal conditions from 10 percent capacity to 80 percent capacity in as little as 15 to 20 minutes.'

Experts recommend charging a battery to 80 percent to preserve the battery and extend the car's lifespan.

It is the amount of charge that the car can get to safely, without overheating the battery, in the shortest amount of time, Degen added.

The Tesla Model Y - the most popular electric vehicle in the US - and the Model 3, which cost around $48,000 and $40,000 respectively, both take a minimum of 4 hours and 31 minutes to charge.

While the size of the car's battery and the strength of the power source can make the charge time differ substantially, it is important to remember that other external factors including weather can have an impact, Degen added.

How long does it take to charge YOUR electric car? | Daily Mail Online

'Level 2 are the higher outlet systems that you can have installed in your home or find at most charging stations. Generally that will add 10 to 20 miles of range per hour,' he said.

Experts recommend charging a battery to 80 percent to preserve the battery and extend the car's lifespan.

It is the amount of charge that the car can get to safely, without overheating the battery, in the shortest amount of time, Degen added.

While the size of the car's battery and the strength of the power source can make the charge time differ substantially, it is important to remember that other external factors including weather can have an impact, Degen added.

How long does it take to charge YOUR electric car? | Daily Mail Online

Some owners actually have seen their range getting longer with age (what we've seen, even charging to 100% daily)

This is definitely inaccurate. When I read stuff like this, I wonder who is pushing such a false narrative.

My car easily charges to 90% from near- empty in 6 hours. That's 275ish miles. If I only add 240 miles, that's 40 miles per charging hour.

Plus you do it while you sleep. So, in reality, it  saves time because I don't have to drive to a gas station and pray the idiot smoking next to me doesn't blow us all up.

Reactions: tntar heel
This is definitely inaccurate. When I read stuff like this, I wonder who is pushing such a false narrative.

My car easily charges to 90% from near- empty in 6 hours. That's 275ish miles. If I only add 240 miles, that's 40 miles per charging hour.
It can be accurate for piss poor designed EVs that limit AC charging rate. Or the 20 can be not the 10 that’s too low. Your Tesla accepts around 11kW of charging power going from memory. One of the cheap EVs put forward by the resident cultist only accepted a 5kW AC power charging rate.

Again Tesla raises the bar for everyone else on the detail to systems design.

LMAO the laws of physics and chemistry don’t apply to your EV huh Ronald?

Ronald Reagan

we're not the only ones seeing this amazing EV feat Bozo // it's real (the Displayed Range has increased / is greater than mfr's estimated range at time of purchase)

Presidential and Clown names aside / they add nothing to the real discussion (you're referring to me by the name of an esteemed president is unnecessary, ok ?)

LMAO the laws of physics and chemistry don’t apply to your EV huh Ronald?

Explain how this context (achieving more than EPA estimated range) relates to laws of physics.

Based on our driving habits (and perhaps this has something to do with the System calculating the re-generative breaking habits customary to our vehic (????)) , we are actually seeing daily estimates in the range of 320-330 (orig estimates of approx 260)

Here's more testimony, to "more than its EPA estimate" ,

"At the end of a long day of driving, we had traveled a total of 278 miles in the 2022 Bolt, 7.3% more than its EPA estimate and a single mile more than we managed in the 2020 model last year. That's a solid result, ..."
  • The 2022 Bolt outperformed its EPA-estimated range of 259 miles, covering 278 miles on Edmunds' real-world EV range loop

Based on our driving habits (and perhaps this has something to do with the System calculating the re-generative breaking habits customary to our vehicle
That's the only thing that really makes sense. I can't imagine a scenario where a battery gets stronger or the motor becomes more efficient.

That's the only thing that really makes sense. I can't imagine a scenario where a battery gets stronger or the motor becomes more efficient.

Edmunds, "but real-world EV range can vary significantly". Never meant to confuse anyone from Dallas (especially elect engineers) into thinking the battery just became stronger (the point is, that somehow we're achieving a reported estimated range significantly higher than mfr's own estimated range -- where the engineer continues to doubt and refer to me as an esteemed president by name, even while I provide other sources who've noticed the same) ;

if it's reg-braking, then perhaps they should include such tech on ice machines .

Explain how this context (achieving more than EPA estimated range) relates to laws of physics.

Based on our driving habits (and perhaps this has something to do with the System calculating the re-generative breaking habits customary to our vehic (????)) , we are actually seeing daily estimates in the range of 320-330 (orig estimates of approx 260)

"At the end of a long day of driving, we had traveled a total of 278 miles in the 2022 Bolt, 7.3% more than its EPA estimate and a single mile more than we managed in the 2020 model last year. That's a solid result, ..."
  • The 2022 Bolt outperformed its EPA-estimated range of 259 miles, covering 278 miles on Edmunds' real-world EV range loop
  • l

It’s simple Ronald if you see an increase in range then you changed your driving habits. Remember all that light show the EVs have to show you your energy consumption? Your battery isn’t a unicorn battery that magically found more energy storage 🤡

And as usual Ronald your marketing hype doesn’t support your claim. This started with owners seeing longer range as the batteries aged. That is a load of bull 💩

Last edited:

“EPA estimates”

Edmunds, "but real-world EV range can vary significantly". Never meant to confuse anyone from Dallas (especially elect engineers) into thinking the battery just became stronger
Then you should probably avoid making bull 💩 claims stating that very thing Ronald. The only person confused here is you 🤡

Some owners actually have seen their range getting longer with age (what we've seen, even charging to 100% daily)

Plus you do it while you sleep. So, in reality, it  saves time because I don't have to drive to a gas station and pray the idiot smoking next to me doesn't blow us all up.
No, but you do have to sleep, hoping your car battery don't flame out the house.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
No, but you do have to sleep, hoping your car battery don't flame out the house.
Lightning struck the house next door a couple of years ago and blew the **** out of their wiring and electronics. Somehow, I still sleep soundly.

EDIT: it hit a tree about 30 feet from my headboard around 3 a.m. If you've never experienced that, it's impressive.

Reactions: tntar heel and GVF
My Honda CRV gets 400 miles on a 12 gallon fill up. If an EV at $50k could do the same on a full charge I'd be tempted.
So, at current gas prices, you are getting about 9 cents per mile. Earlier in the thread, I calculated my energy costs, and I'm at 2 cents per mile.

And, I made some kid in a Mustang look like a bitch when he revved his engine at a red light tonight.

Edit: you would probably dress yours a little differently than mine.

Reactions: GVF

I never thought I would hear someone bragging about taking only 6 hours to fill their car up with electricity.

VN Store

Back