Electric Vehicles

Here we go / more and more applications ; this is no different, for example, than Hilton having on-site full-service diesel or gasoline (or hydrgon) fill-ups for Guests, as soon as they pull up off the Highway (Guest wouldn't have to drive to the BP).

We're talking innovations / the things that practical, logical engineers involve themselves in.

Some 2,000 Hilton locations in the United States, Canada, and Mexico will welcome Tesla’s Universal Wall Connector charging points, with 20,000 chargers delivered in total.

Way cheaper to put in and maintain the superchargers versus holding tanks for gas and diesel.

If they are superchargers, it only takes 30 min to fill up.

The last few hotels I've stayed in with chargers all have the 48 amp Tesla Wall Chargers mounted on a pole, so looking at a few hours for a full charge. They have the other type of chargers available, too.

6 chargers per hotel. I see some fights in Hilton’s future.

do you ? while there are many folks driving by pointing out problems, it seems that Hilton and Musk are simply trying to provide service --

remember when your g-g-parents purchased gasoline in a can, from their local pharmacist / were they fighting ?

focus: "culture" (that is, not all citizens and not all companies are hogs / get the point)

If history of vehicle fuel-charging etiquette repeats itself, and if you weren't fighting with your neighbors over the pumps and (under normal circumstances) if there weren't excesive lines at those pumps and if you weren't hogging ALL of the pumps (/ keeping neighbors from sharing in the riches) at your most recent gas-diesel fill-up station, then

you can logically expect things to smooth out over time with Ev filling stations (e.g. 6 today, 10 next year, IF that's your beef) --

"The first drive-in service station opened in Pennsylvania on this day in 1913. American motorists had been able to pump their own gas at filling stations since 1905, but those were little more than a pump at the curbside. Before that, motorists bought gasoline in cans from places like pharmacies and blacksmith shops and filled up themselves. With the opening of this service station at the corner of Baum Boulevard and St. Clair Street in Pittsburgh, a cultural institution was born."

Wonder how long it'll take the tractor trailers to charge.

" Semi can travel up to 500 miles on a single charge. Recover up to 70 percent of range in 30 minutes using Tesla’s Semi Chargers."

"Three independent motors provide instant torque and unmatched power at any speed so drivers can merge safely and keep pace with traffic. Accelerate from 0-60 mph in 20 seconds, fully loaded, and maintain highway-level speeds even up steep grades."

• Energy Consumption
    Less than 2 kWh per mile

"this is no different, for example, than Hilton having on-site full-service diesel or gasoline (or hydrgon) fill-ups for Guests"

Way cheaper to put in and maintain the superchargers versus holding tanks for gas and diesel.

Interesting point, which I'm sure hundreds of logical engineers are factoring daily.

Also, what is the (US) Annual Cost of transporting diesel / gasoline across or within States / from Refinery-to-Filling Stations (in comparison, e.g., to costs of Grid upgrades and maintenance) ?

Think about: A Single tanker truck-operation drives up the mountain, unloads her 10,000 gallons of gasoline, then drives back down the mtn for 10k more, then drives back up, repeat repeat repeat-- seems like it's less expensive to simply delivery that energy Via an elect power line(s).

" Semi can travel up to 500 miles on a single charge. Recover up to 70 percent of range in 30 minutes using Tesla’s Semi Chargers."

"Three independent motors provide instant torque and unmatched power at any speed so drivers can merge safely and keep pace with traffic. Accelerate from 0-60 mph in 20 seconds, fully loaded, and maintain highway-level speeds even up steep grades."

• Energy Consumption
    Less than 2 kWh per mile
500 miles, Interesting. By contrast, the truck I used to drive had two 150-gallon tanks. Both could be filled in less than 10 minutes. With a 6 mpg average, I could travel 1500 to 1750 miles between fill ups.

500 miles, Interesting. By contrast, the truck I used to drive had two 150-gallon tanks. Both could be filled in less than 10 minutes. With a 6 mpg average, I could travel 1500 to 1750 miles between fill ups.

Compare the cost per mile?

Compare the cost per mile?
Factor in the cost of a Tesla truck and the ROI over an ICE becomes an issue. Fuel powered vehicles at least pay fuel taxes and commercial vehicles get taxed multiple ways.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for alternative fuels and EVs. But a 500 mile range severely limits the utility of the Tesla truck.

Factor in the cost of a Tesla truck and the ROI over an ICE becomes an issue. Fuel powered vehicles at least pay fuel taxes and commercial vehicles get taxed multiple ways.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for alternative fuels and EVs. But a 500 mile range severely limits the utility of the Tesla truck.
And then you have vocational trucks that sometimes are running for hours powering pumps, drills ext. Would take an awfully big battery pack to handle that work.

Reactions: AM64

• Energy Consumption
    Less than 2 kWh per mile
So the battery is somewhere just under 1000kWh huh Ronald? To charge 70% of that in 30 minutes takes (1000 x 0.7 ) / 0.5 = 1400 kW or 1.4 MW

Coming soon to a Hilton near you… 🤡

So the battery is somewhere just under 1000kWh huh Ronald? To charge 70% of that in 30 minutes takes (1000 x 0.7 ) / 0.5 = 1400 kW or 1.4 MW

Coming soon to a Hilton near you… 🤡
Like I have said countless times, the only thing green about green energy is the green that goes from consumer pockets into the pockets of the investors and politicians that are pushing this crap. Our overloaded electric grid can't survive EV semi truck charging and everyones private vehicles being on the grid. Oh....unless we build a bunch more nuclear power plants, but we all know that's not happening.

Like I have said countless times, the only thing green about green energy is the green that goes from consumer pockets into the pockets of the investors and politicians that are pushing this crap. Our overloaded electric grid can't survive EV semi truck charging and everyones private vehicles being on the grid. Oh....unless we build a bunch more nuclear power plants, but we all know that's not happening.
The grid could never deliver the capacity to power the charging stations required to support a fleet of over land trucks that have a significant percentage of EV tractors. It isn’t feasible. There are likely opportunities for yard tractors and limited use/range applications like that.

VN Store

Back