Electric Vehicles

Which trim?

Not sure. The one I may buy or lease is the Long Range. The extra 50 miles is worth it to me over the standard and the performance is overkill for the usual driving conditions in Central Florida (i.e. gridlock).

Normally I would not consider leasing but they have dropped the price on that in the last week and, although they would not offer the option to buy it at the end, in another sense it appeals to me to be looking again in 3 years when we see what advances have been made in battery tech, etc.

And I will not qualify for the tax rebate, so that's not a factor. Biggest issue for me will be mileage limits, though with the prevalence of zoom its not the issue it used to be. I can pay extra up front and get it to 15k a year, which ought to be close to sufficient.

Everybody is different. Those are just my particular issues.

Not sure. The one I may buy or lease is the Long Range. The extra 50 miles is worth it to me over the standard and the performance is overkill for the usual driving conditions in Central Florida (i.e. gridlock).

Normally I would not consider leasing but they have dropped the price on that in the last week and, although they would not offer the option to buy it at the end, in another sense it appeals to me to be looking again in 3 years when we see what advances have been made in battery tech, etc.

And I will not qualify for the tax rebate, so that's not a factor. Biggest issue for me will be mileage limits, though with the prevalence of zoom its not the issue it used to be. I can pay extra up front and get it to 15k a year, which ought to be close to sufficient.

Everybody is different. Those are just my particular issues.
Do you know if the sun/heat and salt air affect the battery life? I've briefly looked and not really found to much? I just know with regular batteries they never make it through the warranty period since we moved here.

Do you know if the sun/heat and salt air affect the battery life? I've briefly looked and not really found to much? I just know with regular batteries they never make it through the warranty period since we moved here.

I know that big time cold can, which is not an issue here, obviously. I'm 50 miles from the coast so salt air not an issue for me.

Reactions: tntar heel
I know that big time cold can, which is not an issue here, obviously. I'm 50 miles from the coast so salt air not an issue for me.
Salt air is pretty much bad for any battery pack. However the cooling system on these cars should utilize an air to air or liquid to air heat exchanger to minimize exposure of the actual cells to the corrosive salt air.

Water immersion is another issue, especially salt water immersion. It can cause a “rapid uncontrolled exothermic reaction” 😜. Of course water immersion on any car is bad news and will give you a salvage title most likely. But with the battery pack on these cars riding so low you need to be aware of the issue and avoid any significant water.

Reactions: tntar heel
The grid could never deliver the capacity to power the charging stations required to support a fleet of over land trucks that have a significant percentage of EV tractors. It isn’t feasible. There are likely opportunities for yard tractors and limited use/range applications like that.
Agreed local electric trucks only could possibly be successful.

Reactions: NorthDallas40
Factor in the cost of a Tesla truck and the ROI over an ICE becomes an issue. Fuel powered vehicles at least pay fuel taxes and commercial vehicles get taxed multiple ways.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for alternative fuels and EVs. But a 500 mile range severely limits the utility of the Tesla truck.
Time and money are equal in many situations.
The down time is very expensive

Like I have said countless times, the only thing green about green energy is the green that goes from consumer pockets into the pockets of the investors and politicians that are pushing this crap. Our overloaded electric grid can't survive EV semi truck charging and everyones private vehicles being on the grid. Oh....unless we build a bunch more nuclear power plants, but we all know that's not happening.

Overloaded, from what ?

EV accounts for <5-10% of total vehicles on US roads.

Ok, so here is my report:

I tested 2023 Model Y with induction wheels.

The regenerative braking took about 15 minutes to get used to it. It is definitely a new experience but really easy to grow accustomed to.

Acceleration is off the hook. Not that you'd ever need it. But I admit, it's fun.

The ability of the car to sense all the cars around you and display them to you is freaky cool.

Very comfortable car.

Smooth drive.

The turn signal stalk I'd have to work on. It's not as intuitive as I'd prefer.

The rear view mirror at first seems very small and limited. But then you realize it is showing the full view of rear window. Just not what I'm used to

Sound sytem was excellent.

Tesla is playing with the batteries. The 4680 they have stopped putting in to the model y. There are various reports about why this is. Everything from cost to production problems.

This makes me more inclined to lease for 2 to 3 years, see if a major upgrade is in the works for 2025. Will pay for extra miles up front.

Ok, so here is my report:

I tested 2023 Model Y with induction wheels.

The regenerative braking took about 15 minutes to get used to it. It is definitely a new experience but really easy to grow accustomed to.

Acceleration is off the hook. Not that you'd ever need it. But I admit, it's fun.

The ability of the car to sense all the cars around you and display them to you is freaky cool.

Very comfortable car.

Smooth drive.

The turn signal stalk I'd have to work on. It's not as intuitive as I'd prefer.

The rear view mirror at first seems very small and limited. But then you realize it is showing the full view of rear window. Just not what I'm used to

Sound sytem was excellent.

Tesla is playing with the batteries. The 4680 they have stopped putting in to the model y. There are various reports about why this is. Everything from cost to production problems.

This makes me more inclined to lease for 2 to 3 years, see if a major upgrade is in the works for 2025. Will pay for extra miles up front.
Do you know if yours had the Dolby immersive sound system they put in the performance models?

It is ridiculously awesome.

I think the 0-60 in the LR Y is like 4.8s. Not bad for a hatchback. My 3 is 3 flat. Now you know why I can't wait to drive to work every morning.

Do you know if yours had the Dolby immersive sound system they put in the performance models?

It is ridiculously awesome.

I think the 0-60 in the LR Y is like 4.8s. Not bad for a hatchback. My 3 is 3 flat. Now you know why I can't wait to drive to work every morning.

My commute does not lend itself to punching that accelerator ! Central Florida is not a place where you can ever really unleash that kind of pick up.

What wheels do you have ? I'm really on the fence. The standard 19 inch get best range and ride, while the 20 look much better (but at a high cost). My head says one thing. My you know what says quite another.

My commute does not lend itself to punching that accelerator ! Central Florida is not a place where you can ever really unleash that kind of pick up.

What wheels do you have ? I'm really on the fence. The standard 19 inch get best range and ride, while the 20 look much better (but at a high cost). My head says one thing. My you know what says quite another.
Is the Y all wheel drive like the Model 3?

20" uberturbine are standard on the M3P

I know I rag on the whole cost once the infrastructure is included to support the cars but their AWD cars with traction control are serious performance. Buying one for the performance aspects makes complete sense to me.
I'm glad you've reached that point. I have full confidence that I could take anything short of a 911 GT, Lamborghini, Ferrari, McLaren, Bugatti, or Demon. And some would be toss ups, depending on the driver's skill.

Reactions: AM64
I'm glad you've reached that point. I have full confidence that I could take anything short of a 911 GT, Lamborghini, Ferrari, McLaren, Bugatti, or Demon. And some would be toss ups, depending on the driver's skill.
Oh I conceded that when you and I first started talking if you think back. Their performance numbers on the AWD Teslas speak for themselves. But “others” trying to piss on us with all the marketing BS and tell us it’s raining is a non starter.

VN Store

Back