Electric Vehicles

My commute does not lend itself to punching that accelerator ! Central Florida is not a place where you can ever really unleash that kind of pick up.

What wheels do you have ? I'm really on the fence. The standard 19 inch get best range and ride, while the 20 look much better (but at a high cost). My head says one thing. My you know what says quite another.
Price a set of replacement tires for the 19” and 20” options and go from there. As a service manager in a tire shop, I see the stunned look on people’s faces when they realize how expensive Pilot Sport Cup tires are or whatever Tesla is fitting from the factory.

It gets even worse if your car has staggered fitments.

Reactions: AM64
Price a set of replacement tires for the 19” and 20” options and go from there. As a service manager in a tire shop, I see the stunned look on people’s faces when they realize how expensive Pilot Sport Cup tires are or whatever Tesla is fitting from the factory.

It gets even worse if your car has staggered fitments.

What we looking at..$500 a tire?

Not sure. The one I may buy or lease is the Long Range. The extra 50 miles is worth it to me over the standard and the performance is overkill for the usual driving conditions in Central Florida (i.e. gridlock).

Normally I would not consider leasing but they have dropped the price on that in the last week and, although they would not offer the option to buy it at the end, in another sense it appeals to me to be looking again in 3 years when we see what advances have been made in battery tech, etc.

And I will not qualify for the tax rebate, so that's not a factor. Biggest issue for me will be mileage limits, though with the prevalence of zoom its not the issue it used to be. I can pay extra up front and get it to 15k a year, which ought to be close to sufficient.

Everybody is different. Those are just my particular issues.
Lease? Lol

Yep. DOT vehicle gross is DOT vehicle gross. Heavier, less range, longer time to refuel. Everyone is gonna love these turds. 😂

I could see them being used is LTL operations where losing the sleeper and other driver amenities can offset some of the battery weight plus they typically aren't running max gross very often. But I can't see these being used in OTR operations.

Hey look Ronald I was right! 1 MEGA Watt charging just like I said. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! 🤡

View attachment 587512
Elon Musk wants $100 million in taxpayer money just to build 9 stations to charge those suckers. Why should the gov't pay for these stations?

Good morning Cavet. Not sure what you're trying to prove.

Watch the vid, of Jay Leno driving the Tesla semi.
Not watching a 30 minute marketing video. But I did ask you to give me a time mark in the video where they addressed the charging requirements and I’d watch that Ronald. As I’d like to hear how they got around the 1MW charging. Did you read the wiki link about the megacharger? A liquid cooled charging cable. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!😂🤡

Elon Musk wants $100 million in taxpayer money just to build 9 stations to charge those suckers. Why should the gov't pay for these stations?

@UT-Rex hey Ronald if Elon’s toy truck is so viable why is he asking the government for $100M for just nine charging stations? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 😂

I could see them being used is LTL operations where losing the sleeper and other driver amenities can offset some of the battery weight plus they typically aren't running max gross very often. But I can't see these being used in OTR operations.
Nope. Limited range, charging time, and charging location limitations (and don’t forget the burden on the electrical grid!) are going to prevent them from being used OTR for a very long time if at all in any real quantities. Like Sea Ray posted Musk wants $100M government money to just address one route between Texas and Cali and each station can only charge 8 trucks at a time. This is completely stupid.

A Tesla might have a decent residual. Most used EVs have lower resale value than their ICE counterparts.

Valid point. I have priced it out and the 36 month lease with max down represents the lowest per month cost at approx. $773 per month.

To buy it at 60 months with twice that down over $1k/mo.

To outright buy it is $920/mo (assuming 60 months as comparator to be consistent).

So, buy it outright and have the car left over, but its 5 years later and who knows what the tech will be like, or for $150/mo less be out of it in three years. No residual value but able to buy the next generation.

This tech in a way reminds me of all tech in our society and the increased pace at which it improves. Phones were the same for 50 years, and now? Every two years there's a massive improvement. The race to make better EVs, with longer range, is similar, its just such a rapid pace of improvement that I don't necessarily want to feel tied into a car I buy now, which in 4 years, is essentially obsolete.

I may end up treating cars like cell phones. Just every few years go get the new one.

Reactions: tntar heel
Valid point. I have priced it out and the 36 month lease with max down represents the lowest per month cost at approx. $773 per month.

To outright buy it is $920/mo (assuming 60 months as comparator to be consistent).

So, buy it outright and have the car left over, but its 5 years later and who knows what the tech will be like, or for $150/mo less be out of it in three years. No residual value but able to buy the next generation.

This tech in a way reminds me of all tech in our society and the increased pace at which it improves. Phones were the same for 50 years, and now? Every two years there's a massive improvement. The race to make better EVs, with longer range, is similar, its just such a rapid pace of improvement that I don't necessarily want to feel tied into a car I buy now, which in 4 years, is essentially obsolete.

I may end up treating cars like cell phones. Just every few years go get the new one.
Oof. Those payments look oppressive. We are the exact opposite we keep a vehicle over a decade minimum and pay a big chunk down at purchase or just buy it our right. I might look up the EV lease residuals vs actual resale to see if the auto makers are taking it in the shorts here to subsidize the technology. It’s fairly well documented at this point that other than Tesla the rest generally track lower resale values than their ICE model equivalents

Oof. Those payments look oppressive. We are the exact opposite we keep a vehicle over a decade minimum and pay a big chunk down at purchase or just buy it our right. I might look up the EV lease residuals vs actual resale to see if the auto makers are taking it in the shorts here to subsidize the technology. It’s fairly well documented at this point that other than Tesla the rest generally track lower resale values than their ICE model equivalents

Let me know your thoughts, genuinely curious.

One other point I neglected to mention is that Teslas have a 50k mile essentially bumper to bumper. The battery is 120k, which is the main thing.

But at 3 year lease I'm out of it before any warranty issue arises. That also has indeterminate value.

Holy smokes batman!

Let me know your thoughts, genuinely curious.

One other point I neglected to mention is that Teslas have a 50k mile essentially bumper to bumper. The battery is 120k, which is the main thing.

But at 3 year lease I'm out of it before any warranty issue arises. That also has indeterminate value.
My personal opinion on any EV including Tesla is don’t be driving around in an EV with a battery you own. It just isn’t worth the financial risk I think. I don’t view the fire risk associated with Li-ion as any real actionable issue they are outliers. It’s just that if it happens to you it’s a guaranteed total loss but that’s why you have insurance so don’t even factor that in. Not even on parking it in the garage it’s just such an outlier.

As long as you’re driving an EV where the battery is owned by someone else and as long the lease residual isnt oppressive (I’d guess they aren’t on Teslas) and a lease fits your vehicle ownership profile I’d submit an EV is a very valid option for a lease. I just don’t do leases and as you’ve seen I’m not really a fan of the current technology point.

And they are an absolute hoot to drive. Very low CG with AWD and traction control and they are rocket ships.

I am pretty sure Tesla includes a level 2 charger. That’s a must.

TLDR an EV is a very good vehicle type for a lease I think as long as the battery is covered over the whole lease term and the residual isn’t so oppressive that the lease payment gets out of control.

Well, I'm not sure what kind of money down you're talking about but it seems to me you're looking at at least $10K/yr depreciation on that lease deal. The way I buy cars, a mediocre depreciation is $2K/yr. If you have about a thousand a month to put into a Tesla, God bless you but it's not my thing.

Well, I'm not sure what kind of money down you're talking about but it seems to me you're looking at at least $10K/yr depreciation on that lease deal. The way I buy cars, a mediocre depreciation is $2K/yr. If you have about a thousand a month to put into a Tesla, God bless you but it's not my thing.
Eh I have friends that do nothing but leases and have for decades. It’s not my thing. The cars we buy at this point in our lives are over $50K MSRP and keep decent value. We drive them for over a decade and put extended warranties on them. Every warranty has paid for itself. I drive a 2012 F250 that has a factory warranty till mid 2025. The wife drives a 2021 RX 350 with a 7 year warranty. They were both paid off within a year of purchase. Hell the wife’s car was paid off in two months. We are fortunate that we have that flexibility of course but it didn’t happen by accident and took time to get that buying power.

Lease vs own is a lifestyle choice and he’s a lawyer he can afford it.

Reactions: AM64 and hog88
Eh I have friends that do nothing but leases and have for decades. It’s not my thing. The cars we buy at this point in our lives are over $50K MSRP and keep decent value. We drive them for over a decade and put extended warranties on them. Every warranty has paid for itself. I drive a 2012 F250 that has a factory warranty till mid 2025. The wife drives a 2021 RX 350 with a 7 year warranty. They were both paid off within a year of purchase. Hell the wife’s car was paid off in two months. We are fortunate that we have that flexibility of course but it didn’t happen by accident and took time to get that buying power.

I'm not banging on leases here. I think leases make a lot of sense with emerging technology like EV and hybrids. I am just saying that you're living high on the hog if you've got $10K/yr to spend on a vehicle that builds no equity

I'm not banging on leases here. I think leases make a lot of sense with emerging technology like EV and hybrids. I am just saying that you're living high on the hog if you've got $10K/yr to spend on a vehicle that builds no equity
Don’t disagree but as a lawyer he probably has good coin. I’m not a fan of either leases or EVs but that’s just my own preference. If I were to ever consider an EV I’d guess a lease is about the only way I’d buy one. I tend to think they’re largely disposable vehicles at this point in time with the battery cost liability and the rate of technology advances

If you're in a position to write off lease payments and can stay within the mileage cap they make a lot of sense. We're like you with personal vehicles, pay cash or no more than a 36 month note and keep them for 7-10 years if not longer. Took awhile to get into that position but man I hate car notes. Highest note we ever had was a little over $600 on a 36 month loan and that bugged the shot out of me.

VN Store

Back