Electric Vehicles

Could do it like the old Pony Express back in the day. A new horse was ready at certain intervals. Car rentals could do a hub where you pull in on "empty" and switch to a fully charged vehicle to continue on your journey.
Kind of like how they do the pit stops in Formula E

Reactions: McDad
I think they E Tron only gets up to 200 or 250 miles at full charge. Is that correct?
EPA rates it at 205. Of course it varies with driving styles, terrain, climate systems, etc

Not routinely. But probably 5 or 6 times a year. Am i supposed to rent a car for a whole week to go to Disney. Or rent a car for that Thanksgiving trip to visit out of state family?
Why not? With the ability of many to work remotely the main need for cars will drop dramatically. Maybe the attitude of having multiple cars in the driveway can change. I know Elon has talked about cars working for you during the day while they're not used. We may need a different model

Just my opinion, but Democrats are going to have to drop their aversion to nuclear power if we want to get serious about using cleaner energy. We should have been building plants since the 70s but Three Mile Island scared the crap out of everybody and here we are.

They are going to have to drop their aversion to a lot of clean energy methods...

Wind? Can't harm birds!

Solar? Taking up forested land!

Hydro? OMG! Dams?!?!?!

Geothermal? Sulfur dioxide emissions!

Natural Gas? More greenhouse gasses!

You already mentioned nuclear, so...

Seems like every time an idea to move away from traditional oil and coal power comes up, the enviro-nazi crowd gets worked up.

They are going to have to drop their aversion to a lot of clean energy methods...

Wind? Can't harm birds!

Hydro? OMG! Dams?!?!?!

Seems like every time an idea to move away from traditional oil and coal power comes up, the enviro-nazi crowd gets worked up.
We should propose to them Conservatives forced into labor on treadmills to power turbines which generate electricity. They would fund that tomorrow.

Not routinely. But probably 5 or 6 times a year. Am i supposed to rent a car for a whole week to go to Disney. Or rent a car for that Thanksgiving trip to visit out of state family?
And if I am going to the Smokey’s for a camping trip and I have the extra weight of tents, bicycles, maybe kayaks, not to mention the weight of the family members themselves then that stated 300 miles might not be achievable. And don’t even CONSIDER towing a camper, even a light pop up
You just need to hop on your Delta electric plane and fly down, and then rent a car for the whole week.

Reactions: AM64 and OrangeTsar
Who routinely needs 500-700 miles/day?

I go between Nashville and Columbus atleast once a month. I honestly can’t tell you The Who but I know they exist because every time I am on the road I am surrounded by traffic no matter the time.

Wind? Can't harm birds!

Hydro? OMG! Dams?!?!?!

That is because their ultimate goal (which they will never state out loud) is to eventually DECREASE the energy used by mankind. They already think there are too many humans and that we are too affluent and wasteful. So why not force their preferred goals on everyone by starving the world economies of energy. That accomplishes much of the progressive/Marxist agenda without a single vote or election. Everyone will be equal. Equally poor and energy deprived)

Wind? Can't harm birds!

Hydro? OMG! Dams?!?!?!

You aren't wrong. And don't even get me started on the NIMBYs in that crowd.

I go between Nashville and Columbus atleast once a month. I honestly can’t tell you The Who but I know they exist because every time I am on the road I am surrounded by traffic no matter the time.
For me, traffic jams are the biggest concern for electric vehicles. If I am stuck in Atlanta in August, I am sitting in traffic using the battery to run AC. Well, that may severely shorten my range and could leave me stranded. No bueno.

How long if you charge at home?
They claim it can charge at 150 kw on a DC fast charger. For your standard wall outlet, multiply the fast charging time by about 100, so about 2 days. Of course, 240 volt chargers will knock that down significantly to probably 10-12 hours. These are just rough estimates.

Reactions: AM64
You aren't wrong. And don't even get me started on the NIMBYs in that crowd.

I know lol

But in seriousness, we should be looking at a huge increase in geothermal. It could, provided your station doesn't get swallowed up by a volcano, provide somewhat unlimited power in those areas that can get it.

Reactions: AM64
It is the point that for interstate (and some in state) travel, EVs are far less practical. For in city use and "local area" they should be good. But for distance trips, maybe not so much.
The new plug in hybrids that are coming out would be the best of both worlds for most people. They get around 40 miles of range on electric and then switch over to a gas engine once the battery is depleted. I'd actually buy one if I could find one somewhere and if I could find one I could afford after the stealer markups.

The new plug in hybrids that are coming out would be the best of both worlds for most people. They get around 40 miles of range on electric and then switch over to a gas engine once the battery is depleted. I'd actually buy one if I could find one somewhere and if I could find one I could afford after the stealer markups.
Do they make a 3500 version?

But that's made of lead and acid not some rare earth mineral mined by starving preteens
Ah yes, the wonderful health and environmental benefits of lead and acid.....

And I guess while they arent mining those rare earth minerals for your car you are fine with them mining those same minerals for your phone, computer, household electronics, OIL REFINING, or did you think those catalytic converters ran off magic?

Gasoline, TVs, cars: The surprising things rare earths help make

I know lol

But in seriousness, we should be looking at a huge increase in geothermal. It could, provided your station doesn't get swallowed up by a volcano, provide somewhat unlimited power in those areas that can get it.
I tend to be "all hands on deck" when it comes to energy sources. Diversification is good for the energy grid, as opposed to picking one thing and saying do that everywhere. Regions of the country need to use what is most applicable for their area.

Good thing about nuclear is it can be used in many different types of geographies with huge output and a relatively small footprint. We can go all Fallout 4 and put a reactor in everything down to refrigerators.

The Audi E tron I am looking at claims a 30 min charge up to 80%. That may be possible under optimal conditions but I don't know if it is routine.

Is that on their charger or any charging station?

The Rivian R1T looks like a pretty decent EV truck for a new company. For the price of a small house you can get a 400 mile battery.

VN Store

Back