Electric Vehicles

It is the point that for interstate (and some in state) travel, EVs are far less practical. For in city use and "local area" they should be good. But for distance trips, maybe not so much.

Dodge (and I’m sure others are) are working on improving HEV. Hybrid electric vehicles make 100x more sense than pure electric.

It's the false premise of the need for EVs they are pushing and the feeling we are being forced into EVs causing people to be defensive.
I think there is a need for them. But I agree the way they are selling them is wrong. But that invites ridicule, not defensiveness. At least imo.

And I am seeing a pretty big difference in the reactions here from the typical ridicule like LG earns vs full on attack mode against EVs.

The Rivian R1T looks like a pretty decent EV truck for a new company. For the price of a small house you can get a 400 mile battery.
Yeah, isn't this the company that just announced a hefty $10k+ price increase for people that preordered one and then had to roll the price back after they got lambasted and had thousands of people cancel their order?

I think there is a need for them. But I agree the way they are selling them is wrong. But that invites ridicule, not defensiveness. At least imo.

And I am seeing a pretty big difference in the reactions here from the typical ridicule like LG earns vs full on attack mode against EVs.

Nobody likes to get “new” forced down their throat.

The new F-150 lightning advertises up to 10,000 lbs towing capacity and 2,000 lbs payload with certain configurations. What I can't find is a towing/payload weight to range anywhere on the Ford site.
And you won’t. Energy is energy and you have to expend a LOT of energy to tow that much weight. And dino energy still provides the highest energy concentration at an affordable price point.

There is no freaking way in hell these batteries will last half of that life in the southwest deserts. Normal car batteries, for instance, last 2.5-3.5 years max in the Phoenix metro area.

Well they’re giving you a 10 year window 🤣. Imagine buying a car that has a mpg rating of 10-40mpg.

Dodge (and I’m sure others are) are working on improving HEV. Hybrid electric vehicles make 100x more sense than pure electric.
Yes, this is the best option for US driving patterns. Gets you the best of both worlds

Yeah, isn't this the company that just announced a hefty $10k+ price increase for people that preordered one and then had to roll the price back after they got lambasted and had thousands of people cancel their order?
No idea, but Ford dealerships are doing the same thing with their little bare-bones hybrid truck, so it wouldn’t surprise me.

My F-250 has a 6.2L dino powered engine in it. Only because they didn’t offer me a 7.2L engine. I still can’t figure out why anybody thinks a battery powered truck makes a lick of sense. Hauling around hundreds and hundreds of pounds of dead weight just to say hey I’m Eco friendly! 🤷‍♂️

Another interesting fact that nobody talks about is mileage and weight. At least the car/truck gets lighter as you burn the fuel. With EVs you can be running on empty and you are still hauling around the same weight in dead batteries.

Well they make the frames lighter, to offset the weight. Just wrap yourself in bubble wrap for safety. Make sure it's the biodegradable kind

Reactions: AM64
My F-250 has a 6.2L dino powered engine in it. Only because they didn’t offer me a 7.2L engine. I still can’t figure out why anybody thinks a battery powered truck makes a lick of sense. Hauling around hundreds and hundreds of pounds of dead weight just to say hey I’m Eco friendly! 🤷‍♂️

Emotions run the lib mindset, no matter nonsensical it is.

Could do it like the old Pony Express back in the day. A new horse was ready at certain intervals. Car rentals could do a hub where you pull in on "empty" and switch to a fully charged vehicle to continue on your journey.
NIO is currently trying that except they are replacing the battery and not car. Come in on a drained battery and they swap to a charged one.

Reactions: McDad
I can modify an internal combustion engine to run without a battery, can you modify your EV to run without one?
I can modify my EV to run without the internal combustion aspects pretty easy.

The first cars were electric, it's not like this is some foreign new fangeled technology like cellular phones and the world wide web.

It's all a matter of access. You roll the clock back 100 years and the same argument was going on about fuel burning cars. Too expensive. Cant just pull your car over and let it eat some grass or drink some water.

You ever hear of the handy new invention called an alternator? And I drive a stick. Give me a slight grade to roll down and I will be fine (assuming the connection form the alternator to the plugs is unbroken
Well acquainted after mine went out. Powered steering to none powered steering on the interstate was not fun and I am lucky I didnt cause an accident with my car shutting down around me.

The first cars were electric, it's not like this is some foreign new fangeled technology like cellular phones and the world wide web.

It's all a matter of access. You roll the clock back 100 years and the same argument was going on about fuel burning cars. Too expensive. Cant just pull your car over and let it eat some grass or drink some water.
I don't anyone is arguing against EV's, but the infrastructure has to keep pace with the technology, and so far it isn't. It's like let's switch over to EV's, and we'll figure out the rest later.

Until they become more practical and affordable EVs shouldn’t be introduced as a cure for idiotic policies made by moronic politicians. I guess back in the day the reason that they moved on to combustion engines are the same reasons they make more sense now.

Because that's not happening. The government is essentially requiring 17% of all new car sales be electric/plug in hybrids by 2026. They just announced a $5 billion federal investment in EV charging stations.

This isn't being driven by anything resembling the market.
Now look at the government subsidy of oil and gas. Heck one of the biggest complaints against Biden is that he wont let oil and gas drilling resume on federal land.

Fact Sheet | Fossil Fuel Subsidies: A Closer Look at Tax Breaks and Societal Costs | White Papers | EESI

20 billion direct a year to oil, gas, and coal. And you want to complain about 5.

If you want to take the angle that EV shouldnt get any support than you should feel even more strongly about the larger support pill and gas get.

But instead of facing that reality the topic will just slide to the next subject and keep doing so until we end up back here.

Yes, this is the best option for US driving patterns. Gets you the best of both worlds

Sons company is working on the fuel tank for an HEV truck, it's a Dodge so it will be a piece of crap but the concept they are working on is outstanding according to him. The IC engine would be nothing more than a generator, it's supposed to have some solar charging capability and would also charge going down hill.

You can't just add a bunch of chargers to the grid and all is good. It's going to take decades to build power plants and upgrade the grid to power those battery chargers. They already have rolling blackouts in California can you image the entire country being like that?
You arent arguing any point I made. I said the infrastructure wasnt there for EV just like it wasnt there for oil and gas 100 years ago. What do you think the natives left the pipes and refineries for the white man to find and use?

You arent arguing any point I made. I said the infrastructure wasnt there for EV just like it wasnt there for oil and gas 100 years ago. What do you think the natives left the pipes and refineries for the white man to find and use?
How long did it take mass produced internal combustion engine automobiles to replace the horse and buggy? How long have EVs been offered for sale by major auto mfgrs and what is their market penetration? Ultimately that comparison will determine if the EV is an equivalent replacement for the internal combustion engine.

Last edited:
How many people actually need a truck? Especially for a daily driver? You hauling your boat to work everyday?

I get having a truck, but most people dont have a use to justify needing a truck.

Even hog with his business you really think he is hauling equipment in his truck? Rolling out to jobsites on the side of Everest for a daily debrief? Or does he use it to get to the office 75% of the time?

How many people actually need a truck? Especially for a daily driver? You hauling your boat to work everyday?

I get having a truck, but most people dont have a use to justify needing a truck.

Even hog with his business you really think he is hauling equipment in his truck? Rolling out to jobsites on the side of Everest for a daily debrief? Or does he use it to get to the office 75% of the time?
America loves their trucks/sport utes. If you want to sell automobiles in America and be successful at it you’re gonna offer trucks and sport utes.

VN Store

Back