Electric Vehicles

Buddy of mine loves his Lightning.
I was kind of joking. The lightning does look like a good option for a pickup. Even the entry line has a good amount of get up and go with a solid tow capacity. They get really expensive once you go to the high end model.

I was kind of joking. The lightning does look like a good option for a pickup. Even the entry line has a good amount of get up and go with a solid tow capacity. They get really expensive once you go to the high end model.

He hauls his boat back and forth to the lake with his, only about a 10 mile round trip but he says it does just fine.

Reactions: AM64 and kiddiedoc
He hauls his boat back and forth to the lake with his, only about a 10 mile round trip but he says it does just fine.

I’m curious how towing affects his mileage. Has he talked to you about that at all? Obviously it’s going to hurt it, but by how much? And what size of a boat?

I’m curious how towing affects his mileage. Has he talked to you about that at all? Obviously it’s going to hurt it, but by how much? And what size of a boat?

Only towing he’s talked to me about is his boat, it’s a 24’ Malibu so I’m guessing around 5K lbs and he’s only about 5 miles each way. If he’s doing any other towing with it he’s never mentioned it.

He’s got an F450 to pull his toy hauler.

Only towing he’s talked to me about is his boat, it’s a 24’ Malibu so I’m guessing around 5K lbs and he’s only about 5 miles each way. If he’s doing any other towing with it he’s never mentioned it.

He’s got an F450 to pull his toy hauler.
A 24 footer loaded up and gassed is actually close to 8000 lbs

Reactions: jp1 and AM64
I don't see how this is a violation of the commerce clause, producers should simply stop selling non-compliant product in California. Until an industry as a whole stands up and says piss off this country will continue to allow a select few states make the rules for all of us. When Nixons administration allowed CA to set it's own emissions standards all vehicle manufactures should have just stopped selling cars in CA or made a select few for CA and priced them accordingly. The private sector needs to stop asking for federal intervention and bite the bullet to stop this madness.

I absolutely oppose this move by CA but IMO it's well within their rights to make it and it's none of the federal government's business.
Amen.

Cobalt Slavery, Child Labor, Ecological Destruction and Death

308e9113-24f8-4e1b-a3e0-5231330ec427@news.ap.org-1052x615.jpg

Global cobalt demand soared with the advent of cell phones and laptop computers. It exploded with the arrival of electric vehicles and now is skyrocketing in tandem with government EV mandates and subsidies. Cobalt improves battery performance, extends driving range and reduces fire risks.

Demand will reach stratospheric heights if governments remain obsessed with climate change and Net Zero. States and nations would have to switch to electric cars, trucks, buses and tractors; end coal and gas electricity generation; convert gas furnaces, water heaters and stoves to electricity; and provide alternative power for windless, sunless periods. Electricity generation would triple or quadruple.

Weather-dependent wind turbines and solar panels would require billions of battery modules, to stabilize power grids and avoid blackouts every time wind and sunshine don’t cooperate.

All that Net Zero transformation equipment – plus transmission lines, substations and transformers – will require billions of tons of cobalt, lithium, copper, nickel, graphite, iron, aluminum, rare earths and other raw materials at scales unprecedented in human history. That will necessitate mining, ore processing, manufacturing, land disruption and pollution at equally unprecedented levels.

Cobalt Slavery, Child Labor, Ecological Destruction and Death

Reactions: davethevol and AM64
The Senate Appropriations Committee said it was “concerned” that electric helicopter technology isn’t being tested and utilized by the Air Force, according to the committee’s report on the draft of the 2024 Department of Defense Appropriations bill issued Friday.

The Airforce has 90 days to release current research and development progress on electric vertical take-off and landing vehicles (eVTOLs), as well as a timeline for when the service plans to utilize the technology operationally, according to the committee report. eVTOLs, which mimic the vertical take-off and landing ability of helicopters, are powered by electric energy and produce zero emissions – but also have a much lower payload capacity and travel range, according to a report from Amprius Technologies.

Senate Committee ‘Concerned’ That Air Force Isn’t Using Electric Helicopters

Reactions: StarRaider
Not only do EVs require an astonishing amount of mining—an estimated 500,000 pounds of rock and minerals must be upturned to make a single battery, physicists point out—but their carbon footprint isn’t much smaller than gas-powered cars.

yeah I noticed that too.... it read something like 70k before the ev has an even carbon footprint vs ICE.... and then where does the power to charge the battery come from? Holes in the wall lol? New battery? Add another 50k to the carbon footprint

Last edited:
This is crazy to me. Ford patenting a charging trailer to extend the range of the Lighting P/U because hauling/towing severally cuts the range.

Ford's Portable Charging Trailer Could Be A True Game Changer
Dang! (From the full article on a different site):

The Ford F-150 Lightning saw its range drop to 91 miles when attached to a 10,000-pound trailer, which is less than one-third of its 320-mile EPA rating. With the same trailer attached, the Rivian R1T saw its range capacity drop to 84 miles, despite boasting an initial 314 miles on paper.

In fairness, it does say that the battery trailer is meant to haul and serve as a charger for power tools, etc, as well, so there could be a niche in construction, especially in remote areas.

I'm curious as to how much that trailer will weigh. If towing 10k lbs cuts the range to say 100 miles how much will the trailer extend the range?

VN Store

Back