Electric Vehicles

I'm curious as to how much that trailer will weigh. If towing 10k lbs cuts the range to say 100 miles how much will the trailer extend the range?
if the government is involved, probably 10% less what it was without the trailer. If the government isn't involved 10% more.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

The sticker range on our vehicle is approx 250 ; surprisingly, after 1 year of use, the actual range is 300-330.

There are probably folk out there who would bring a lawsuit for ^ these results (i.e. as battery tech progresses and no matter what class they're in, anyones can bring a suit for anythings).

EV maker Lucid slashes prices of Air sedan as part of offer amid heating competition (yahoo.com)

Charging into the future: the transition to electric vehicles : Beyond the Numbers: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (bls.gov)

Improved vehicle range is another factor that should encourage higher uptake of EVs. Range anxiety—the fear of running out of battery power before reaching a charging location—has long deterred consumers from purchasing an EV.8 However, battery capacity and range have greatly improved (from a median of 68 miles on a single charge in 2011 to 234 miles in 2021) and is expected to continue to increase with further advances in battery technology.

Furthermore, studies have found that switching to EVs saves consumers money, especially over the long run. For example, in addition to saving on fueling costs, EVs yield about $8,000 to $12,000 worth of savings on maintenance over the lifetime of the vehicle.10 Moreover, battery pack costs should continue to fall, bringing EV prices closer to those of conventional cars..

Charging into the future: the transition to electric vehicles : Beyond the Numbers: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (bls.gov)

Improved vehicle range is another factor that should encourage higher uptake of EVs. Range anxiety—the fear of running out of battery power before reaching a charging location—has long deterred consumers from purchasing an EV.8 However, battery capacity and range have greatly improved (from a median of 68 miles on a single charge in 2011 to 234 miles in 2021) and is expected to continue to increase with further advances in battery technology.

Furthermore, studies have found that switching to EVs saves consumers money, especially over the long run. For example, in addition to saving on fueling costs, EVs yield about $8,000 to $12,000 worth of savings on maintenance over the lifetime of the vehicle.10 Moreover, battery pack costs should continue to fall, bringing EV prices closer to those of conventional cars..
I have already saved about $900 in gas and first service since April.

Oh, and fast as balls.

Reactions: UT-Rex
The sticker range on our vehicle is approx 250 ; surprisingly, after 1 year of use, the actual range is 300-330.

There are probably folk out there who would bring a lawsuit for ^ these results (i.e. as battery tech progresses and no matter what class they're in, anyones can bring a suit for anythings).

EV maker Lucid slashes prices of Air sedan as part of offer amid heating competition (yahoo.com)
My cousin has a Tesla and lives in Denver. She doesn't get the range. The plaintiffs will have to prove the usage wasn't in a more challenging environment . I am guessing here.

My cousin has a Tesla and lives in Denver. She doesn't get the range. The plaintiffs will have to prove the usage wasn't in a more challenging environment . I am guessing here.

Yeah, surely there are many factors regarding EV and gasoline-fuel range. Best of results to the plaintiffs (hopefully each side can be satisfied at the end) !

Reactions: rekinhavoc
I have already saved about $900 in gas and first service since April.

Oh, and fast as balls.
So I think for an apples to apples comparison you’ve got to remove the fuel taxes on the cost of gas to get to true peer costs. You’re still going to come out ahead but it will be a closer margin. This is the most common marketing ploy in EV sales. At the end of the day you bought what you wanted and are enjoying the car so who gives a damn just enjoy your car.

So I think for an apples to apples comparison you’ve got to remove the fuel taxes on the cost of gas to get to true peer costs. You’re still going to come out ahead but it will be a closer margin. This is the most common marketing ploy in EV sales. At the end of the day you bought what you wanted and are enjoying the car so who gives a damn just enjoy your car.
I'm not following. I'm simply calculating what comes out of my pocket for gas vs the increase in electricity cost for charging. Am I missing something?

And yes, I agree 100% on the latter. Wish they would hurry up and get Flat Rock ready!

I'm not following. I'm simply calculating what comes out of my pocket for gas vs the increase in electricity cost for charging. Am I missing something?

And yes, I agree 100% on the latter. Wish they would hurry up and get Flat Rock ready!
There are a ridiculous amount of federal and state taxes on fuel to pay for maintenance on the national highway system. Right now you are cost advantaged on the EV as you don’t pay that. Have you seen the various proposals to tax on vehicle mileage vs fuel costs? That is the attempt to close this tax receipts discrepancy as more EVs get on the road. Your observation is correct for your personal example. It doesn’t represent the actual cost of the energy nor does it recognize the eventual tax that will in some form be levied on EVs to maintain the Highway system as well as public charging network.

BTW just to clarify I agree yes you will see lower energy costs in your EV over its life. That’s a valid argument. All I was trying to highlight is the costs are in transition now due to how taxes are levied and charging vs fuel stations are available and maintained.

There are a ridiculous amount of federal and state taxes on fuel to pay for maintenance on the national highway system. Right now you are cost advantaged on the EV as you don’t pay that. Have you seen the various proposals to tax on vehicle mileage vs fuel costs? That is the attempt to close this tax receipts discrepancy as more EVs get on the road. Your observation is correct for your personal example. It doesn’t represent the actual cost of the energy nor does it recognize the eventual tax that will in some form be levied on EVs to maintain the Highway system as well as public charging network.

Check you recent statements: There are already Service and Grid Access charges upwards of 20- 30% associated with some TN electric Provider billings (equivalent to federal and state taxes on fuel , above the actual charge for kWh).

BTW just to clarify I agree yes you will see lower energy costs in your EV over its life. That’s a valid argument. All I was trying to highlight is the costs are in transition now due to how taxes are levied and charging vs fuel stations are available and maintained.

Check you recent statements: There are already Service and Grid Access charges upwards of 20- 30% associated with some TN electric Provider billings (equivalent to federal and state taxes on fuel , above the actual charge for kWh).
So I find that very hard to believe that electricity taxes in the TVA area are on a percentage basis higher than fuel taxes. The TN valley has some of the cheapest electricity in the nation. Living in TX electricity is significantly higher here and it’s still cost advantaged over fuel costs including taxes on EVs

I did learn than there is an added registration cost in TN for EVs to help offset the lost tax revenue for roads. I think it's $100/ annually
Ah yeah I’ve heard that proposal also to offset the loss of fuel sales tax receipts. The gubmint isn’t gonna just let that revenue stream dry up even though they are currently the ones pushing the switch over the hardest.

So I find that very hard to believe that electricity taxes in the TVA area are on a percentage basis higher than fuel taxes. The TN valley has some of the cheapest electricity in the nation. Living in TX electricity is significantly higher here and it’s still cost advantaged over fuel costs including taxes on EVs

quick search: "The average residential electricity rate in Dallas is 10.98¢/kWh."

quick search: "The average residential electricity rate in Knoxville is 9.95¢/kWh."

Even if we all stop driving, let's hope the Grid remains stable for our houses and office buildings and industrial complexes (as well as all of the ones coming on line near future).

As kiddiedoc says, he's already saved $900 since April.

quick search: "The average residential electricity rate in Dallas is 10.98¢/kWh."

quick search: "The average residential electricity rate in Knoxville is 9.95¢/kWh."

Even if we all stop driving, let's hope the Grid remains stable for our houses and office buildings and industrial complexes (as well as all of the ones coming on line near future).

As kiddiedoc says, he's already saved $900 since April.
Quick check of my bill. 2869kWhr for $567 or $0.20 per kWhr which includes all taxes and fees which was my entry point into this conversation. And I’ve already stated that there is still an energy cost advantage to an EV even when factoring in all taxes and fees.

And grid capacity is another looming issue. Here ERCOT is on the edge of capacity as we’ve had double digit days over 100 degrees now with no end in sight.

VN Store

Back