Electric Vehicles

Quick check of my bill. 2869kWhr for $567 or $0.20 per kWhr which includes all taxes and fees which was my entry point into this conversation. And I’ve already stated that there is still an energy cost advantage to an EV even when factoring in all taxes and fees.

And grid capacity is another looming issue. Here ERCOT is on the edge of capacity as we’ve had double digit days over 100 degrees now with no end in sight.

Comparison - Middle Tenn Electric Membership Co-op for July (4000 sq ft - 2 people, NG water heaters)
1691366513935.png

Comparison - Middle Tenn Electric Membership Co-op for July (4000 sq ft - 2 people, NG water heaters)
View attachment 568237
This is my shocked face that TVA generated power is cheaper than our largely natural gas fired power plants in TX 😬

We are also 4000 sq Ft AC space with NG water heaters. 7 tons of cooling on an Energy Star certified home.

So I find that very hard to believe that electricity taxes in the TVA area are on a percentage basis higher than fuel taxes. The TN valley has some of the cheapest electricity in the nation. Living in TX electricity is significantly higher here and it’s still cost advantaged over fuel costs including taxes on EVs

To make it simpler (more simple?),

Here is a Sample statement (that's an older, 2019 kWh rate, but the Service and Access charges are the same in 2023):

NES BILL (nespowernews.com)

Service Charge: $14.90
TVA Grid Access Charge: $6.66
Energy Charge (476 kWh @ $0.09616): $45.77

Total: $67.33 ($21.56 fees charged / $45.77 actual kWh charge )

To make it simpler (more simple?),

Here is a Sample statement (that's an older, 2019 kWh rate, but the Service and Access charges are the same in 2023):

NES BILL (nespowernews.com)

Service Charge: $14.90
TVA Grid Access Charge: $6.66
Energy Charge (476 kWh @ $0.09616): $45.77

Total: $67.33 ($21.56 fees charged / $45.77 actual kWh charge )
Make it as “more simple” as you like. Your numbers are horse **** on the cost of electricity in TX.

TX sucks and so does it's electricity.
In July and August you’re right on both counts dude. Our peak summer electricity usage is 3x our winter usage or more. And it isn’t cheap as you can see from my bill data I posted. Of that $567 bill around $113 were taxes and fees and that leaves around $434 for actual usage costs. That’s $0.15 per kWhr not including the extras that pushes it up to $0.20

Reactions: StarRaider
In July and August you’re right on both counts dude. Our peak summer electricity usage is 3x our winter usage or more. And it isn’t cheap as you can see from my bill data I posted. Of that $567 bill around $113 were taxes and fees and that leaves around $434 for actual usage costs. That’s $0.15 per kWhr not including the extras that pushes it up to $0.20

Here's the highest for my house with CEMC.

Customer Charge $33.00
Energy Charge 2,550 kWh @ 0.07654 $195.18
TVA Fuel Cost 2,550 kWh @ 0.02657 $67.75
100W HPS Security Light (Quantity: 1) $7.46
Current Charges $303.39

Here's the highest for my house with CEMC.

Customer Charge $33.00
Energy Charge 2,550 kWh @ 0.07654 $195.18
TVA Fuel Cost 2,550 kWh @ 0.02657 $67.75
100W HPS Security Light (Quantity: 1) $7.46
Current Charges $303.39
That’s a great comparison to my bill as we were at $567 for 2869 kWhrs. Again here’s my shocked face that TX ERCOT can’t compete with TVA electricity generation costs. When I moved to TX in 1988 I was in sticker shock at the electric bill amount.

Make it as “more simple” as you like. Your numbers are horse **** on the cost of electricity in TX.

You said "Right now you are cost advantaged on the EV as you don’t pay that" and I showed you a sample 40% surcharge on electr in TN (for electric shavers / smoothie blenders / EV charge of any kind) as comparable to fuel "taxes".

There are a ridiculous amount of federal and state taxes on fuel to pay for maintenance on the national highway system. Right now you are cost advantaged on the EV as you don’t pay that. Have you seen the various proposals to tax on vehicle mileage vs fuel costs? That is the attempt to close this tax receipts discrepancy as more EVs get on the road. Your observation is correct for your personal example. It doesn’t represent the actual cost of the energy nor does it recognize the eventual tax that will in some form be levied on EVs to maintain the Highway system as well as public charging network.

You said "Right now you are cost advantaged on the EV as you don’t pay that" and I showed you a sample 40% surcharge on electr in TN (for smoothie blenders or EV) as comparable to fuel "taxes".
And I stand by that statement. The tax on each gallon of fuel ranges from at least $0.20 to over $0.70. Your chump change example doesn’t close the gap of the taxes per gallon of fuel. I’ve already said multiple times there is indeed a cost advantage currently however the 800 lb gorilla in the room is the government is not going to let that revenue stream dry up they will find a way to recoup those losses due to EV taking on a larger percentage of vehicles on the road over time.

IMG_3543.jpeg

Reactions: StarRaider
What will become of the EV batteries after they wear out? Millions of solar panels are now worn out, and there is no way to dispose of them.

VN Store

Back