Electric Vehicles

I have a gas powered Honda CR-V. Thought a couple of years ago of checking into a hybrid version but as is I get 31 mpg overall and the hybrid version they said only got 34, so in my view the extra price was not worth it.

I'd consider an EV now except for two things. First, the prices keep coming down and as more models are introduced it seems like that might continue. Second, I worry that if I bought one now with a range of 300 miles on a charge, two years later the tech would be better and for the same price I might get 600 miles on a charge.

Seems about right.

Reactions: DC_Vol
EVs simply aren't for everyone. There really needs to be a breakthrough in battery tech to get beyond the environmental/labor issues. We also need more nuclear energy production.

We're able to fully charge our vehicle via home solar and it works great for our needs.

EVs simply aren't for everyone. There really needs to be a breakthrough in battery tech to get beyond the environmental/labor issues. We also need more nuclear energy production.

We're able to fully charge our vehicle via home solar and it works great for our needs.
I think batteries should be thrown to the curb and development of hydrogen fuel cell electricity generation and hydrogen production and distribution begin in earnest.

A hydrogen fuel cell car is an EV. Everything downstream from the battery terminals is largely the same. But batteries are simply an atrocious power supply.

My only problem with E/Vs is the government financed push for them. If my wife commuted to work daily I think she would be happy with one.

I think batteries should be thrown to the curb and development of hydrogen fuel cell electricity generation and hydrogen production and distribution begin in earnest.

A hydrogen fuel cell car is an EV. Everything downstream from the battery terminals is largely the same. But batteries are simply an atrocious power supply.

If the people pushing E/Vs were truly interested in the environment they would be pushing natural gas.

If the people pushing E/Vs were truly interested in the environment they would be pushing natural gas.
Not entirely. That just incrementally increases the ICE operating point and doesn’t address the gripes of ICE technology. A fuel cell vehicle leverages all of the technology development of battery powered EVs while also addressing the lack of a viable recharging solution via the national grid. And all that comes out the tailpipe is water. It is a zero emissions vehicle.

Reactions: Caculator
Not entirely. That just incrementally increases the ICE operating point and doesn’t address the gripes of ICE technology. A fuel cell vehicle leverages all of the technology development of battery powered EVs while also addressing the lack of a viable recharging solution via the national grid. And all that comes out the tailpipe is water. It is a zero emissions vehicle.

NGVs are near net zero emissions and isn't that their stated goal?

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Thanks for the CNG marketing brochure 😂

I only read it quickly but question the results statement. And it completely ignores the 💩 efficiency of ICE vehicles. Fully electric final drive is over 3X more efficient than any ICE vehicle.

You should have read it since it mainly talks about renewable natural gas, methane mainly which for the most part is released into the atmosphere. By capturing and using that gas these vehicles are near NET zero emissions. Sure, you couldn't power every vehicle in the country with RNG but when the stated goal is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions capturing and using one of the big "greenhouse" gasses should be a top priority.

You should have read it since it mainly talks about renewable natural gas, methane mainly which for the most part is released into the atmosphere. By capturing and using that gas these vehicles are near NET zero emissions. Sure, you couldn't power every vehicle in the country with RNG but when the stated goal is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions capturing and using one of the big "greenhouse" gasses should be a top priority.
Yep it does. That was the questioning their results comment I made. They took credit for the carbon footprint lowering by the recovered gas to juice the vehicle results. Like I said marketing brochure. Instead let’s keep the recovered gas process, get rid of crappy efficiency vehicle engines, and put a true zero emissions vehicle in place that actually has better performance than any ICE engine ever made 🤷‍♂️

Yep it does. That was the questioning their results comment I made. They took credit for the carbon footprint lowering by the recovered gas to juice the vehicle results. Like I said marketing brochure. Instead let’s keep the recovered gas process, get rid of crappy efficiency vehicle engines, and put a true zero emissions vehicle in place that actually has better performance than any ICE engine ever made 🤷‍♂️

I don't like the idea of being forced to get rid of anything and hydrogen fuel cells are still a long way off from being viable in the mass market. Not to mention the production of hydrogen isn't exactly cheap or carbon neutral unless you produce it by splitting water molecules using renewable fuel electricity. And then your using fresh water on a massive scale or building desalinization plants. Either way your using up water.

Reactions: AM64
I don't like the idea of being forced to get rid of anything and hydrogen fuel cells are still a long way off from being viable in the mass market. Not to mention the production of hydrogen isn't exactly cheap or carbon neutral unless you produce it by splitting water molecules using renewable fuel electricity. And then your using fresh water on a massive scale or building desalinization plants. Either way your using up water.
I don’t support getting rid of any of them either. Let the free market decide. And yank the EV subsidies today.

And water is the ultimate renewable resource

I don't like the idea of being forced to get rid of anything and hydrogen fuel cells are still a long way off from being viable in the mass market. Not to mention the production of hydrogen isn't exactly cheap or carbon neutral unless you produce it by splitting water molecules using renewable fuel electricity. And then you’re using fresh water on a massive scale or building desalinization plants. Either way you’re using up water.
Take a look at this. Fuel cells are the future

Seawater-to-Hydrogen Tech Makes a New, Blue H2

This is crazy to me. Ford patenting a charging trailer to extend the range of the Lighting P/U because hauling/towing severally cuts the range.

Ford's Portable Charging Trailer Could Be A True Game Changer

This is exactly why I asked you about your buddy who owns a new Lightning. I remember some people in the beginning going all the way down to 40 miles of range when towing. Makes no sense for a truck. “Hey guys, if we add any more to the load I can only make it to the next gas statio……what a minute….”

VN Store

Back