Electric Vehicles

This is exactly why I asked you about your buddy who owns a new Lightning. I remember some people in the beginning going all the way down to 40 miles of range when towing. Makes no sense for a truck. “Hey guys, if we add any more to the load I can only make it to the next gas statio……what a minute….”
That's just simply not their niche.

Not much different from the idiots that ignore their gas lights and let their tanks go to E before hitting traffic. Know your vehicle.

Reactions: zhangliao04
If the people pushing E/Vs were truly interested in the environment they would be pushing natural gas.
That and some other things. If we have such a dire and extremely time sensitive emergency, it's odd that there's no urgent push for tram lines and other public transportation and to force denser urban planning to reduce the need to drive to shop. Plus all the mining for battery materials is destroying and polluting huge chunks of previously pristine land and sea. Destroying the Earth to save it.
If the concern really is for the environment then those driving are totally uncoordinated or are morons.

That and some other things. If we have such a dire and extremely time sensitive emergency, it's odd that there's no urgent push for tram lines and other public transportation and to force denser urban planning to reduce the need to drive to shop. Plus all the mining for battery materials is destroying and polluting huge chunks of previously pristine land and sea. Destroying the Earth to save it.
If the concern really is for the environment then those driving are totally uncoordinated or are morons.

"Your computer is made up of a fantastic array of different materials, including steel, glass, silica sand, iron ore, gold, bauxite and a lot of others. All of those raw materials have to come from somewhere, such as mines.
Once the raw materials are gathered, they're transported to a factory, ..."
From Design to Factory Lines - How Are Computers Made? | HowStuffWorks

^ Having read this, now you're possibly ready to give up your computer (all future ones).

have you ever compared photos, of Barringer Crater (Arizona) vs a topical cobalt mine.

Do you own a gasoline vehicle, and how did you make the battery (what raw materials go into making it) ?

Have you ever totaled the weight of the gasoline you've burned over the life of your vehicle(s) ? Do you consider gasoline a raw material ?

"Your computer is made up of a fantastic array of different materials, including steel, glass, silica sand, iron ore, gold, bauxite and a lot of others. All of those raw materials have to come from somewhere, such as mines.

^ Having read this, now you're possibly ready to give up your computer (all future ones).

have you ever compared photos, of Barringer Crater (Arizona) vs a topical cobalt mine.

You sound a little defensive about the subject. He was talking about the sales pitch put out by the politicians and bureaucrats pushing EVs, it’s hypocritical. He wasn’t condemning EVs.

there may be 5 pounds of hardware in a computer tower. more if you are running a gaming rig. probably the heaviest thing is the power supply, sounds familiar.
a car battery is literally several hundred times more material than a computer. also you can easily recycle 99% of those computer parts. not so much with the batteries.

also willing to bet with EVs there is at least as many "computer" parts in them, especially in a tesla, than there are in an actual computer.

So I feel about 1000 times less worried about my computer than you do your car.

you really need to stop with all these red herrings.

or do you want to throw in cell phones too, as if people with EVs don't have other electronic devices.

You know what else is odd, public city transportation ran on electricity at one time. And apparently ran without incident. Returning to electric public transportation powered by connection to overhead power shouldn't be difficult.

there may be 5 pounds of hardware in a computer tower. more if you are running a gaming rig. probably the heaviest thing is the power supply, sounds familiar.
a car battery is literally several hundred times more material than a computer. also you can easily recycle 99% of those computer parts. not so much with the batteries.

also willing to bet with EVs there is at least as many "computer" parts in them, especially in a tesla, than there are in an actual computer.

So I feel about 1000 times less worried about my computer than you do your car.

you really need to stop with all these red herrings.

or do you want to throw in cell phones too, as if people with EVs don't have other electronic devices.

Plus absolutely no one is trying to force computers on the public under the guise they are good for the environment.

This is not true. Highway consumption is much lower than when I'm rocketing from stop lights to stop signs around town. Acceleration is what drains it the most.

I have a 2023 model Y Tesla, I took possession in Nov 2022. As for highway energy consumption Wednesday we went to PDX on a shopping trip, used 232 miles of battery charge (according to the Tesla charge indicator), the trip indicator said we traveled 199 miles. Most of this was interstate driving so we probably averaged around 75 mph. This is sort of like comparing the manufacturers estimated miles per gallon with what your actual miles per gallon works out to. We didn't use auto pilot, outside temps were in the 80s, used the AC all the time.

Side note: We do have a gas vehicle, so far this year we've spend $186 on premium gas for that vehicle.

Last edited:
You know what else is odd, public city transportation ran on electricity at one time. And apparently ran without incident. Returning to electric public transportation powered by connection to overhead power shouldn't be difficult.
shouldn't be, but will be. Atlanta has a street car. Took several years and several hundred million dollars to build less than 3 miles.

Atlanta Streetcar: Grand Plans and Failed Ambitions.

There is an incredibly strong lobby for wheels and gas on everything. There are a LOT of double dealings that go into a lot of this stuff.

Reactions: McDad

I have five honest to goodness computers in my home not including cell phones and other items that innately have computers in them. Nobody had to bribe me to buy them their value and usefulness were self apparent.

Do you own a gasoline vehicle, and how did you make the battery (what raw materials go into making it) ?

Have you ever totaled the weight of the gasoline you've burned over the life of your vehicle(s) ? Do you consider gasoline a raw material ?
It looks like you're trying to say that a) the push for EV usage is not causing widespread environmental destruction (post 2183), and b) oil drilling is as destructive as mining for EV battery materials. Neither is true.

It looks like you're trying to say that a) the push for EV usage is not causing widespread environmental destruction (post 2183), and b) oil drilling is as destructive as mining for EV battery materials. Neither is true.
Dude clearly owns at least one EV and is a walking talking EV marketing brochure

The Senate Appropriations Committee said it was “concerned” that electric helicopter technology isn’t being tested and utilized by the Air Force, according to the committee’s report on the draft of the 2024 Department of Defense Appropriations bill issued Friday.

The Airforce has 90 days to release current research and development progress on electric vertical take-off and landing vehicles (eVTOLs), as well as a timeline for when the service plans to utilize the technology operationally, according to the committee report. eVTOLs, which mimic the vertical take-off and landing ability of helicopters, are powered by electric energy and produce zero emissions – but also have a much lower payload capacity and travel range, according to a report from Amprius Technologies.

Senate Committee ‘Concerned’ That Air Force Isn’t Using Electric Helicopters
I say the Senate Appropriations committee should, as a group, take a tour ride on an EV helicopter over the ocean.

In fairness, it does say that the battery trailer is meant to haul and serve as a charger for power tools, etc, as well, so there could be a niche in construction, especially in remote areas.
Don't forget to take a gas powered generator to those remote areas so the crew gets to come home in the morning after charging the truck all night.

Last edited:
There are a ridiculous amount of federal and state taxes on fuel to pay for maintenance on the national highway system. Right now you are cost advantaged on the EV as you don’t pay that. Have you seen the various proposals to tax on vehicle mileage vs fuel costs? That is the attempt to close this tax receipts discrepancy as more EVs get on the road. Your observation is correct for your personal example. It doesn’t represent the actual cost of the energy nor does it recognize the eventual tax that will in some form be levied on EVs to maintain the Highway system as well as public charging network.
Only way I can see it working is a tax on the charging. When that hits...

EDIT: saw this was already answered is either in place or in the process of it. I regret the error.

Only way I can see it working is a tax on the charging. When that hits...
That’s already happening on the public charging stations. It’s the home charging where the majority of charging occurs that’s more problematic. TN is approaching it with an EV extra registration fee. It scales up thru I believe 2026

VN Store

Back