Electric Vehicles

That and some other things. If we have such a dire and extremely time sensitive emergency, it's odd that there's no urgent push for tram lines and other public transportation and to force denser urban planning to reduce the need to drive to shop. Plus all the mining for battery materials is destroying and polluting huge chunks of previously pristine land and sea. Destroying the Earth to save it.
If the concern really is for the environment then those driving are totally uncoordinated or are morons.

You sound a little defensive about the subject. He was talking about the sales pitch put out by the politicians and bureaucrats pushing EVs, it’s hypocritical. He wasn’t condemning EVs.

This isn't about offense or defense --

Who, again, are you saying he was talking about ??

If you read what he's saying, he's insinuating ("Plus") that the only raw materials ("all the mining") being harvested on this earth are now all going into the production of EV s (and I reminded him to consider the raw materials used for his computer and what he burns in his ice).

Do you own a gasoline vehicle, and how did you make the battery (what raw materials go into making it) ?

Have you ever totaled the weight of the gasoline you've burned over the life of your vehicle(s) ? Do you consider gasoline a raw material ?

It looks like you're trying to say that a) the push for EV usage is not causing widespread environmental destruction (post 2183), and b) oil drilling is as destructive as mining for EV battery materials. Neither is true.

Well, I was actually replying to the statement "those driving are totally uncoordinated or are morons" in context of

"Plus all the mining for battery materials is destroying and polluting huge chunks of previously pristine land and sea" in context of

the fact that raw materials are mined for many, many consumer and industrial products, including the batteries in our ice trucks, boats and tractors.

That and some other things. If we have such a dire and extremely time sensitive emergency, it's odd that there's no urgent push for tram lines and other public transportation and to force denser urban planning to reduce the need to drive to shop. Plus all the mining for battery materials is destroying and polluting huge chunks of previously pristine land and sea. Destroying the Earth to save it.
If the concern really is for the environment then those driving are totally uncoordinated or are morons.

It looks like you're trying to say that a) the push for EV usage is not causing widespread environmental destruction (post 2183), and b) oil drilling is as destructive as mining for EV battery materials. Neither is true.

And, I do not enjoy seeing our land and countryside damaged (caused by scraping the earth and blasting and hauling from one location to another).

Do you ever shop at Walmart ? Look at aerial photos of 3458 Dickerson Pike, Nashville TN -- 5-8 years ago, that property site was lovely, wooded hills of the old family farm, but (the land was scraped and the hills leveled, so that)

today folks can conveniently walk in and purchase computers and batteries (all of which are made from materials in part mined from locations elsewhere around the globe).

This isn't about offense or defense --

Who, again, are you saying he was talking about ??

If you read what he's saying, he's insinuating ("Plus") that the only raw materials ("all the mining") being harvested on this earth are now all going into the production of EV s (and I reminded him to consider the raw materials used for his computer and what he burns in his ice).
'Plus' there means 'and another thing'. There's a rush to open new sources of raw materials to satisfy demand because of increased EV production. I figured that was evident from the context.

Reactions: NorthDallas40
'Plus' there means 'and another thing'. There's a rush to open new sources of raw materials to satisfy demand because of increased EV production. I figured that was evident from the context.
The EV Avenger won’t recognize the obvious interpretation if that impugns battery powered plug in EVs. That is another self evident reality from our daily EV marketing blitz. 😂

Reactions: EasternVol
And, I do not enjoy seeing our land and countryside damaged (caused by scraping the earth and blasting and hauling from one location to another).

Do you ever shop at Walmart ? Look at aerial photos of 3458 Dickerson Pike, Nashville TN -- 5-8 years ago, that property site was lovely, wooded hills of the old family farm, but (the land was scraped and the hills leveled, so that)

today folks can conveniently walk in and purchase computers and batteries (all of which are made from materials in part mined from locations elsewhere around the globe).
I try to avoid Walmart but since they put a lot of the competition out of business, sometimes there's no practical option.
Losing farmland and woods is among the costs of urban sprawl. It seems like we'd stop building out spatially yesterday so as to save energy and lower emissions, since that's so extremely and urgently vital for our survival and all.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthDallas40
dated but I bet we're going to see some damage from this summer's heat wave

A heat wave will cook your EV's battery, if you let it
That article is a great illustration of just how much plug in battery powered EVs currently are a lifestyle choice and how they are not really for the masses. You pay top dollar and modify your behavior to accommodate the care and feeding for your new lifestyle decision. That isn’t a solution for the masses.

I try to avoid Walmart but since they put a lot of the competition out of business, sometimes there's no practical option.
Losing farmland and woods is among the costs of urban sprawl. It seems like we'd stop building out yesterday so as to save energy and lower emissions, since that's so extremely and urgently vital for our survival and all.

Ok. Have you ever fished a rock quarry ? Or -- have you ever been to a TVA lake (knowing, that years ago, those beautiful bottom lands and hollows were submerged for a little while) ? Where does our nice Plateau stone come from ? Or, other than the hillside, where does the chirt come from (in our Hickman and Perry County roads) ?

I was simply responding to someone describing EV drivers as "morons" regarding perspective of "Destroying the Earth" << in other words, invision a guy in his F-450, leaving his nice stone cottage at 4:50am pulling a boat with 4-batteries to go fishing in a rock quarry (< he complaining of EV drivers destroying the land).

Losing farmland and woods is among the costs of urban sprawl. It seems like we'd stop building out yesterday so as to save energy and lower emissions, since that's so extremely and urgently vital for our survival and all.

This is a powerful message --

Ok. Have you ever fished a rock quarry ? Or -- have you ever been to a TVA lake (knowing, that years ago, those beautiful bottom lands and hollows were submerged for a little while) ? Where does our nice Plateau stone come from ? Or, other than the hillside, where does the chirt come from (in our Hickman and Perry County roads) ?

I was simply responding to someone describing EV drivers as "morons" regarding perspective of "Destroying the Earth" << in other words, invision a guy in his F-450, leaving his nice stone cottage at 4:50am pulling a boat with 4-batteries to go fishing in a rock quarry (< he complaining of EV drivers destroying the land).
I mean those who drive our policy on such things. What car a person drives is their own business.

Last edited:
That’s already happening on the public charging stations. It’s the home charging where the majority of charging occurs that’s more problematic. TN is approaching it with an EV extra registration fee. It scales up thru I believe 2026

As a person who owns both gas and electric vehicles, I think the most reasonable approach is to charge by the mileage driven as well as weight of the vehicle. The current system or approach of charging for the fuel whether gas or electric, doesn't account for the efficiency of the vehicle in terms of mileage driven per unit of energy. This is why mileage driven makes more sense in my opinion.

Miles driven as well as weight of the vehicle are directly related to highway wear and tear so taxing should take into account both of these elements. Yes, that means boats, RVs, etc.

Reactions: EasternVol
As a person who owns both gas and electric vehicles, I think the most reasonable approach is to charge by the mileage driven. The current system or approach of charging for the fuel whether gas or electric, doesn't account for the efficiency of the vehicle in terms of mileage driven per unit of energy. This is why mileage driven makes more sense in my opinion.

Miles driven as well as weight of the vehicle are directly related to highway wear and tear so taxing should take into account both of these elements. Yes, that means boats, RVs, etc.
That’s basically the current method with the fuel tax of course. The issue with that for plug in EVs is how do you determine it? If someone gathers the info at registration that’s one thing. In TX we have yearly inspections as well as registration and the odometer is one of the data items collected. But if instead you have the car narcing on its owner to the government via say the cell network that likely won’t fly. That was part of the proposal on OBD III and was met with stiff resistance. It still is not implemented and has been proposed for years.

Reactions: AM64
What is the message there? She's wise or she's backwards or...?

Under the Lake waters, was her family's livelihood (i.e. previously pristine land).

In what ways do you consider the flooding of the lands as being beneficial to the pristine land ?

The ICE trucks/suvs and boats driving to the Lake are battery powered (not electric), enjoying the water which was once bottom-land and hollows to support the financial lives of many people -- the decision was made long before you and I started driving, to essentially embark on " destroying " huge chunks of once pristine land so that we could have electricity.

In what ways to you differentiate or equate as the same the flooding of the pristine land (rending it non-visible and non-tillable) with the mining of minerals ?

Under the Lake waters, was her family's livelihood (i.e. previously pristine land).

In what ways do you consider the flooding of the lands as being beneficial to the pristine land ? The ICE trucks/suvs and boats driving to the Lake are battery powered (not electric), enjoying the water which was once bottom-land and hollows to support the financial lives of many people -- the decision was made long before you and I started driving, to essentially embark on " destroying " huge chunks of once pristine land so that we could have electricity.

In what ways to you differentiate or equate as the same the flooding of the pristine land (rending it non-visible and non-tillable) with the mining of minerals ?
The completely baseless and patently wrong situations you put forth are ridiculous as hell and pure comedy to read. At this point you’ve got to be trying up convince yourself more than anyone else here. And the bolded ridiculous statement is simply hilarious 😂

Anyone want to race?
That is THE singular reason to buy an EV. Especially one outfitted for performance. You’ve stated that was a if not the driver in your choice. From that stance you chose wisely.

Put a fuel cell energy source in a final electric drive EV and that is the pinnacle of vehicle development I believe.

i have been to Supercross with 2 strokes. If I can’t taste and smell it I don’t want it.
I agree actually. I completely respect the technology development bed that formula e provides for EV technology development. It’s great for the concept. But I can’t get past the lack of a screaming engine. Regardless there is serious technology to appreciate. Just like Formula 1 this isn’t direct to street technology but it’s a technology incubator for sure.

Reactions: Orangeburst
I agree actually. I completely respect the technology development bed that formula e provides for EV technology development. It’s great for the concept. But I can’t get past the lack of a screaming engine. Regardless there is serious technology to appreciate. Just like Formula 1 this isn’t direct to street technology but it’s a technology incubator for sure.
I went to Indy once and it just wouldn’t be the same

Reactions: AM64

VN Store

Back