Electric Vehicles

Marketing can be comprised of pros and cons (competition often attempts to point out what they consider as cons).

4-10 hours / about the usual time that most ICE machines are sitting in the garage over night.
Incorrect. A 50A NEMA 240V socket can only supply 12kW of charging power before the breaker trips. That’s it. Thus the charging time to refill a 180kWh battery is 15 hours and that’s assuming 100% efficiency which is not real. And that’s on a level 2 charger which requires a 50A 240V socket in the residential garage. Go down to a 15A duplex plug 120V and that charging time goes to 100 hours. You have to leave the EV tethered to a plug anytime you’re not using it to keep the range on an SUV sized battery pack. That isn’t realistic for the most desirable vehicle type Americans choose every year in and year out.

As I’ve said multiple times owning a battery powered EV is a lifestyle choice not an obvious solution to an already solved problem. And based on demonstrated sales data the large majority of the rest of us aren’t interested in joining your cult.

Marketing can be comprised of pros and cons (competition often attempts to point out what they consider as cons).

4-10 hours / about the usual time that most ICE machines are sitting in the garage over night.
Bonus question Ronald. If you install these new faster charging solid state lithium batteries what does that do to the charging time on a level 2 residential charger?

Incorrect. A 50A NEMA 240V socket can only supply 12kW of charging power before the breaker trips. That’s it. Thus the charging time to refill a 180kWh battery is 15 hours and that’s assuming 100% efficiency which is not real. And that’s on a level 2 charger which requires a 50A 240V socket in the residential garage. Go down to a 15A duplex plug 120V and that charging time goes to 100 hours. You have to leave the EV tethered to a plug anytime you’re not using it to keep the range on an SUV sized battery pack. That isn’t realistic for the most desirable vehicle type Americans choose every year in and year out.

As I’ve said multiple times owning a battery powered EV is a lifestyle choice not an obvious solution to an already solved problem. And based on demonstrated sales data the large majority of the rest of us aren’t interested in joining your cult.

It's actually approx 4-5-10 hours for the typical EV.

In addition, for those concerned about traveling, take a look at this --

"Estimated Charging Time (at a DC public fast charger) 10-80% in about
30 to 36 minutes"
The ID.4 from Volkswagen (vw.com)

^^ 30-36 minutes = That's about the approx time a family would visit inside of Buccee's ^^

It's actually approx 4-5-10 hours for the typical EV.

In addition, for those concerned about traveling, take a look at this --

"Estimated Charging Time (at a DC public fast charger) 10-80% in about
30 to 36 minutes"
The ID.4 from Volkswagen (vw.com)
No it’s exactly what I told you it was and I gave you the example the most popular vehicle type in America the SUV. This is your game rules. And that’s the minimum to put charge into the battery to go the published range. Yes you’re going to have to break it up into multiple charging sessions. That’s obvious from the sheer starting time. And as you get closer to max charge the charger amp profile throttles back which lengthens the charging time to peak charge. And this is for a charger type that nearly all customers will have to pay to have an electrician modify their home’s electrical service. 💵💵💵

And nice pivot to public chargers. Because we all have 500+V chargers readily available in a residential electric service that maxes out at 240V supplied voltage amirite?

Now for that bonus question Ronald.

You actually don't know that / it can actually be a very viable solution for Commuters (e.g. those traveling 50-100 miles roundtrip daily to work).

E.G. People were communicating well before the mobile telephone came about (i.e. it's likely that some persons were trying to market any possible cons of mobile telephones / made your same claim regarding tel tech).

You actually don't know that / it can actually be a very viable solution for Commuters (e.g. those traveling 50-100 miles roundtrip daily to work).

E.G. People were communicating well before the mobile telephone came about (i.e. it's likely that some persons were trying to market any possible cons of mobile telephones / made your same claim regarding tel tech).
I actually do Ronald. I’m an electrical engineer. This is all basic stuff to anybody not just swallowing EV marketing brochures 🤡

Now go read that bonus question on the new solid state batteries that accept a higher rate of charge.

Reactions: AM64
How long to charge a 180kWh on a level 2 charger Ronald? 🤡

No it’s exactly what I told you it was and I gave you the example the most popular vehicle type in America the SUV. This is your game rules. And that’s the minimum to put charge into the battery to go the published range. Yes you’re going to have to break it up into multiple charging sessions. That’s obvious from the sheer starting time. And as you get closer to max charge the charger amp profile throttles back which lengthens the charging time to peak charge. And this is for a charger type that nearly all customers will have to pay to have an electrician modify their home’s electrical service. 💵💵💵

And nice pivot to public chargers. Because we all have 500+V chargers readily available in a residential electric service that maxes out at 240V supplied voltage amirite?

Now for that bonus question Ronald.

Keep going --

Charging
AC Level 2 charging time (240V at 32A, from Low Battery Light to 100%) *
~9.5 HOURS
~9.5 HOURS

DC Fast Charging time (from Low Battery Light to 80%, in ideal conditions) * *
~30 MIN (WITH 150 KW OR ABOVE DCFC)

2023 Toyota bZ4X Full Specs | Toyota.com

I actually do Ronald. I’m an electrical engineer. This is all basic stuff to anybody not just swallowing EV marketing brochures 🤡

Now go read that bonus question on the new solid state batteries that accept a higher rate of charge.

That's great.

Toyota has electrical engineers --

Charging
~9.5 HOURS
~9.5 HOURS

Keep going --

Charging
~9.5 HOURS
~9.5 HOURS

DC Fast Charging time (from Low Battery Light to 80%, in ideal conditions) * *

2023 Toyota bZ4X Full Specs | Toyota.com
Oh I will.

Minimum charging time in hours = battery capacity in kWh / charger power in kW

Minimum. Because as you approach max charge the amperage profile throttles back to prevent battery overheating and damage and prolong battery life.

And a 150kw or above DCFC. So let’s see for a residential charger that’s 150,000/240 = 600A 😂

So you will never have those available for residential use and it will take very specific installations in public chargers to see that. It’s a pipe dream for any near term wide spread usage Ronald.

That's great.

Toyota has electrical engineers --

Charging
~9.5 HOURS
~9.5 HOURS
Yeah and they don’t write the marketing brochures. The marketing people won’t let them. 😂

That is a 72kWh MAX battery pack and is common for the current small passenger vehicle installations. The light bulb should be going on about now. What is the most popular vehicle type sold in America today? What is the highest selling vehicle model?

Anyone want to race?

That is THE singular reason to buy an EV. Especially one outfitted for performance. You’ve stated that was a if not the driver in your choice. From that stance you chose wisely.

Put a fuel cell energy source in a final electric drive EV and that is the pinnacle of vehicle development I believe.

You certainly ought to agree with this --

"Today, automakers are still providing engines, components and sponsorship money to race teams-and to a larger extent than ever-in order to convince the buying public that their engines and vehicles will go faster, last longer and outperform those of their competitors."

Racing Technology: The trickle-down effect > ENGINEERING.com

You certainly ought to agree with this --

"Today, automakers are still providing engines, components and sponsorship money to race teams-and to a larger extent than ever-in order to convince the buying public that their engines and vehicles will go faster, last longer and outperform those of their competitors."

Racing Technology: The trickle-down effect > ENGINEERING.com
I’ve already covered it Ronald
Do you follow Formula E racing?

ETA: full disclosure DC fast charging and AC charging are two different animals. Yes the bZ4x supports DCFC at the higher rates but it has to be at a DCFC public charger. For AC residential charging the vehicle will only accept up to 6.6kW. So that won’t even fully utilize a 50A 240V level 2 charger. Just wanted to clarify that. Additionally only the newest BEVs can utilize DCFC chargers.

@UT-Rex hey Ronald about your own chosen example. So about those rapid DCFC public chargers that supply 150kW for your chosen vehicle here.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! 😂😂

IMG_3548.jpeg

Last edited:
@gcbvol do you have a level 2 residential charger for your Rivian? It has a 130kWh battery pack so I’m assuming so. Do you have access to DCFC chargers near you? If so how often do you use them?

Under the Lake waters, was her family's livelihood (i.e. previously pristine land).

In what ways do you consider the flooding of the lands as being beneficial to the pristine land ?

The ICE trucks/suvs and boats driving to the Lake are battery powered (not electric), enjoying the water which was once bottom-land and hollows to support the financial lives of many people -- the decision was made long before you and I started driving, to essentially embark on " destroying " huge chunks of once pristine land so that we could have electricity.

In what ways to you differentiate or equate as the same the flooding of the pristine land (rending it non-visible and non-tillable) with the mining of minerals ?
You didn't get close to answering the question.

VN Store

Back