Electric Vehicles

Lolol
But…..
And hear me out on this…
Let’s say generation isn’t the issue in Tennessee (TVA sells more than we use) But rather transmission infrastructure is near capacity already with out adding a shitload (pun intended ) of load to the line. Annnnddd there’s no plan to increase infrastructure…..does this sound like a workable situation?

yes I know you were joking but there are a lot of people who think that’s the answer.

Well the good news is the wind from all the policy blow hard idiots is significant so if we can get them to speak their stupidity near a wind farm we can try to harness that stupidity for some good 🤷‍♂️
Don’t get me started on what the off shore farms are doing to the bass population.

I was asked the other day, and I **** you not, “why do you care about that when climate change is killing the planet?”

There’s still some big ones in the North Atlantic. For now.

“I gotta stop wishing, I gotta go fishing, I’m down to rock bottom again “ (pictures)

this is a great article to supplement this discussion...for those who might think that a megawatt is a megawatt regardless of source I encourage you to digest what they are saying when they state.....

The EPA didn’t consider the grid operators’ need for various grid services and attributes needed to maintain reliability, such as inertia, primary frequency response, reactive power support, system stability, system strength, frequency regulation, ramping, flexibility, dispatchability, black start capability, fuel and energy assurance, and extreme weather performance. Currently, those attributes are generally supplied by thermal power plants, according to the grid operators.

PJM, MISO, others warn of ‘significant power shortages’ from EPA’s power plant carbon rule

Lolol
But…..
And hear me out on this…
Let’s say generation isn’t the issue in Tennessee (TVA sells more than we use) But rather transmission infrastructure is near capacity already with out adding a shitload (pun intended ) of load to the line. Annnnddd there’s no plan to increase infrastructure…..does this sound like a workable situation?

yes I know you were joking but there are a lot of people who think that’s the answer.

The easiest solution is to slam one riiiiight in the middle of your yard. That way you can just plug right into it. Easy peezy lemon squeeze, mate.

On a more realistic note, the scale up of all areas rarely happens lock step in any industry. The .gov just wants to check off a box and not think things through.

Don’t get me started on what the off shore farms are doing to the bass population.

I was asked the other day, and I **** you not, “why do you care about that when climate change is killing the planet?”

“I gotta stop wishing, I gotta go fishing, I’m down to rock bottom again “ (pictures)
I am getting a really good chuckle out of this uninformed tool expecting government to make his life better and solve his problems 😂

Reactions: AM64
The easiest solution is to slam one riiiiight in the middle of your yard. That way you can just plug right into it. Easy peezy lemon squeeze, mate.

On a more realistic note, the scale up of all areas rarely happens lock step in any industry. The .gov just wants to check off a box and not think things through.
😂
1692022793101.gif

I’ve read some articles lately covering Toyota supposedly testing and showing some solid state batteries showing a range of up to ~750 miles. Also, quicker charging (don’t remember those numbers, though). IMO, this is where EV’s should already be.

I’ve read some articles lately covering Toyota supposedly testing and showing some solid state batteries showing a range of up to ~750 miles. Also, quicker charging (don’t remember those numbers, though). IMO, this is where EV’s should already be.
Yep. Those are the solid state lithium batteries and as batteries go they will aid the EV range and charging issue but it’s back to forcing people to use public DCFC stations to realize the charging rate increase which erodes the EV operating cost advantage significantly. Thus public charger peak power draw will get even worse. Remember that exchange we just had on the government not thinking things thru? 😂

Don’t these behemoths also affect bird populations, too? It’s like we are telling the birds “Hey, just think of it as agility training!”

Yep. Those are the solid state lithium batteries and as batteries go they will aid the EV range and charging issue but it’s back to forcing people to use public DCFC stations to realize the charging rate increase which erodes the EV operating cost advantage significantly. Thus public charger peak power draw will get even worse. Remember that exchange we just had on the government not thinking things thru? 😂

Top 2 issues here:

1) Source of the electricity (nuclear)
2) Infrastructure update/addition

No matter what they come up with if they want a “clean” energy generation society then nuclear HAS to increase. Big time. And the idea of roads charging your car via shortwave or whatever they want to call it is cool and all, but how is that going to work when you don’t have the infrastructure?

Top 2 issues here:

1) Source of the electricity (nuclear)
2) Infrastructure update/addition

No matter what they come up with if they want a “clean” energy generation society then nuclear HAS to increase. Big time. And the idea of roads charging your car via shortwave or whatever they want to call it is cool and all, but how is that going to work when you don’t have the infrastructure?
Honestly i think battery powered EVs need to be kicked to the curb and hydrogen fuel cell designs developed in earnest. The final electric drive is the same. The 1000+ lb battery pack is jettisoned. You still have to provide power for electrolysis but you install that at the hydrogen/oxygen generating plant. And I linked an article to an electrolysis plant that runs on sea water, not fresh, water the other day. Sea water… the most abundant resource on the planet and doesn’t require the current level of raping the planet with lithium mines.

Honestly i think battery powered EVs need to be kicked to the curb and hydrogen fuel cell designs developed in earnest. The final electric drive is the same. The 1000+ lb battery pack is jettisoned. You still have to provide power for electrolysis but you install that at the hydrogen/oxygen generating plant. And I linked an article to an electrolysis plant that runs on sea water, not fresh, water the other day. Sea water… the most abundant resource on the planet and doesn’t require the current level of raping the planet with lithium mines.

I’m in agreement with you. Plus, you can mine for U while bringing in the sea water to the plant. Sounds like a 1-2 punch to me. But it’s too good to be true for us to have 🤷🏻

I’m in agreement with you. Plus, you can mine for U while bringing in the sea water to the plant. Sounds like a 1-2 punch to me. But it’s too good to be true for us to have 🤷🏻
You still have a battery pack in a fuel cell EV because they don’t like the dynamic varying power loads. But it’s several times smaller than the pure BEV approach and is charged by the onboard fuel cell. So it isn’t zero impact from a mining standpoint but it takes the battery pack away as the major cost driver and then might even make recycle lithium a viable option to use as it isn’t a much of a budget item in the vehicle build materials. So yeah the battery pack would cost a bit more on a per kWh basis in the vehicle budget but the total kWh requirement is several times smaller so it has more wiggle room on the total cost. Right now it’s significantly cheaper to mine elemental lithium than recycle it.

Hydrogen is the future. It's a hell of a lot more green than any of this so-called "green" energy the tards in charge are trying to jam down our throats.

Hydrogen is the future. It's a hell of a lot more green than any of this so-called "green" energy the tards in charge are trying to jam down our throats.
Literally just warm air, not even hot, and water coming out the exhaust pipe.

And as long as we have plastics fossil fuels aren’t going anywhere either.

@gcbvol do you have a level 2 residential charger for your Rivian? It has a 130kWh battery pack so I’m assuming so. Do you have access to DCFC chargers near you? If so how often do you use them?
We do! We're actually still using our Tesla charger with adapter.

We do almost all our charging at home. We have a 10.4 kW solar system with battery, and charge near entirely from solar at home. There are fast chargers nearby, but we never use them. We only do additional charging at the freebies. One at the gym mostly.

Reactions: NorthDallas40
Fossil fuels bring us waaaay more than the average person knows. Way more. But hey, plastics are bad?

Many people don't have the ability to think critically. The roads you drive on? If it's asphalt and not concrete, fossil fuels. The shoes you wear, fossil fuels. The tires on the leftists electric cars as well as all the plastics in the cars, fossil fuels. Probably a T-Rex worth of fossil fuels for each electric car.

Doc,

Approx how many hours or minutes does it take to charge your EV, at your house ? I suspect approx 5-10 hrs (from 10 to 100% e.g.),

How inconvenient (if any inconvenience) have you found this process to be ?
4-6 hours, depending on how low the battery is, to get to 90%.

I don't consider it a burden to plug it in before I go to bed. Def takes less time than getting gas.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
We do! We're actually still using our Tesla charger with adapter.

We do almost all our charging at home. We have a 10.4 kW solar system with battery, and charge near entirely from solar at home. There are fast chargers nearby, but we never use them. We only do additional charging at the freebies. One at the gym mostly.
Sounds like a pretty sweet setup and virtually free on charging costs. Did you get some offset/rebate money on the install?

Reactions: gcbvol
4-6 hours, depending on how low the battery is, to get to 90%.

I don't consider it a burden to plug it in before I go to bed. Def takes less time than getting gas.
So that sounds like a level 2 charger right? And as long at it fits your needs then it will obviously work for you.

VN Store

Back