End of Driver’s Licensing

Based on what the legal limit is, how many DUIs could you technically have if cops just waited in the parking lot of Hooters or Buffalo Wild Wings after a Super Bowl or even a typical Monday night football game?

Enough to make officer of the year.

BS I used to do walking beats sometimes and said hey to all kinds of people. Homeless, business owners, kids, etc. just an officer saying hey and chatting isn’t always a one way ticket to an investigation
I'm not talking about saying hey or just chatting people up. That's fine.

I'm talking about a cop speaking to someone in a professional, investigatory context where they are or could eventually be a suspect or person of interest. This would include most traffic stops, and would avoid answering questions like "What are you doing out this late at night" or "Why are you in this neighborhood" or "Where are you coming from/headed to" and especially "You mind if I take a look around your vehicle?"

Anybody in their right mind should say nothing to police in that context; there is nothing you can say that will help you.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Not. All. Police. Are. The. Same. And walk away. Let them violate your rights and sue their pants off. You obviously either complied or walked away without harm so you clearly protest too much

Suing them for violating your civil rights without any real damages is not worth my time.

I'm not talking about saying hey or just chatting people up. That's fine.

I'm talking about a cop speaking to someone in a professional, investigatory context where they are or could eventually be a suspect or person of interest. This would include most traffic stops, and would avoid answering questions like "What are you doing out this late at night" or "Why are you in this neighborhood" or "Where are you coming from/headed to" and especially "You mind if I take a look around your vehicle?"

Anybody in their right mind should say nothing to police in that context; there is nothing you can say that will help you.
Not true honesty does help but I agree it’s your right not to incriminate yourself especially if you are actually doing something amiss

Not true honesty does help but I agree it’s your right not to incriminate yourself especially if you are actually doing something amiss
The 5th Amendment is there for the innocent, not the guilty.

I totally fail to see how talking to the police in an investigation could help a person, innocent or guilty. Unless it is a unique circumstance like mistaken identity (like when you were pulled over because someone had stolen a car just like yours a block away).

The prospects for the profession depend upon continued public funding, which depends on how much politicians want to allocate to it year-over-year. It isn't like a normal business, obviously.

Given that context, the only thing I can figure is that they've determined that circling the wagons, even if that means defending bad behavior, is a better alternative than admitting when they screw up and removing those people from the ranks. I think they've determined that if they admit they screw up, then they're definitely losing support. If they don't admit it and circle the wagons, it's like they think they stand a better chance of protecting their reputation and continuing to get funding/support they want. Even though that can obviously backfire. I guess they think if they are going to lose support anyway, you might as well fight to try and keep it.
You did way more thinking about how they can rationalize their actions than I have. I just think the profession attracts a certain demographic of the population that enjoys following orders and giving orders. Male version of a Karen. Instead of, "Can I see the manager?" it is " Can I see you identification? "

Last edited:
Maybe because asking for your ID in most situations isn’t a violation of your civil rights and you can refuse if you want

How about searching my car after I refused to consent because he then claimed he could smell marijuana. Hint: I don't smoke and nobody smokes in my car.

And fwiw, the ID was demanded and when I refused, he got red faced and angry. Told me he was going to take me to jail if I didn't capitulate. I continued to refuse and he caved. But you think that is an acceptable interaction?

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
The 5th Amendment is there for the innocent, not the guilty.

I totally fail to see how talking to the police in an investigation could help a person, innocent or guilty. Unless it is a unique circumstance like mistaken identity (like when you were pulled over because someone had stolen a car just like yours a block away).
Do you think the officers violated my rights by pulling me over and getting me out at gunpoint? Of course not, under the circumstances given it was a totally valid detainment. Now if I lied or didn’t talk to them or I ran or tried to fight them how would that have went? That’s the issue that some anti police posters dont understand. They are also just doing their jobs even if they were “wrong” and I had done nothing wrong. Totally legal and justified and even understandable.

How about searching my car after I refused to consent because he then claimed he could smell marijuana. Hint: I don't smoke and nobody smokes in my car.

And fwiw, the ID was demanded and when I refused, he got red faced and angry. Told me he was going to take me to jail if I didn't capitulate. I continued to refuse and he caved. But you think that is an acceptable interaction?
Well you have to show your ID if you are driving but I agree that officer sounds like a jerk and the search sounded like BS but again that’s not me or thousands of other officers either. Just like you aren’t typical of all the people that get pulled over either

Do you think the officers violated my rights by pulling me over and getting me out at gunpoint? Of course not, under the circumstances given it was a totally valid detainment. Now if I lied or didn’t talk to them or I ran or tried to fight them how would that have went? That’s the issue that some anti police posters dont understand. They are also just doing their jobs even if they were “wrong” and I had done nothing wrong. Totally legal and justified and even understandable.

Yes, they did. Car was jacked and they didn't have the tag number?
You had every right not to talk to them.

Reactions: ClearwaterVol
Are you aware that officers also have legal liability if they leave an intoxicated person alone in public and they drive and kill someone or themselves after
That is a lawyer problem that the police unions should be fighting instead of protecting bad cops.

Except that police don't generally accept that answer and view that as suspicious behavior.
Not all police and not all circumstances. If you do that just walking down a neighborhood street at 2 pm on a sunny day is different if you did it as you were running down a back alley from a crime scene at 2am

Yes, they did. Car was jacked and they didn't have the tag number?
You had every right not to talk to them.
Jesus you are dense. They didn’t have a tag and it was the same exact vehicle even down to the cracked back window. I know. I saw the news story

VN Store

Back