ESPN is imploding

It’s funny that people are equating this to Disney being “woke”.

This isn’t breaking news, but Disney is not going broke. They made $86 Billion in revenue and $26 Billion in gross profits and is growing 13% year over year. They have close to $7 billion in free cash flow. I personally don’t invest in them as their operating margins aren’t great and I don’t see how Disney+ helps them grow.

The problem here is ESPN’s programming. They aren’t getting viewers on their shows outside of the games and a few programs. No one on the list is troublesome for them to lose. It has nothing to do with politics.

How dare you suggest a vocal minority of conservative sports fans can’t wish ESPN and Disney directly into bankruptcy.

They absolutely can.

Last edited:
Suzy Kolber had been with ESPN for 30 years. She was on the first show when ESPN 2 launched in 1993. It's hard not to feel bad for her. This has to hurt.

.... and her interview with Broadway Joe will never cease to be entertaining. LOL

I think she's pretty good too but is she worth $3mill/yr? I think ESPN is trying to re-set their salaries. If ESPN offered her $500K think they'd say no? Folks like her aren't worth millions. Nobody changes the channel to catch her

How dare you suggest a vocal minority of conservative sports fans can’t wish ESPN and Disney directly into bankruptcy.

They absolutely can.

Such a buying opportunity for these guys. Put those personal convictions to work by betting the farm...short Disney stock. How could it go wrong. Just look at the fortunes made by buying companies making hydroxycholoquine during the hoax.

ESPN has unfortunately been slipping slower and slower into irrelevance for years.

No more than 10 years ago my friends and I were tuning into College Gameday every Saturday. Gameday coverage and locations were great water cooler talk, and ESPN was a great way to get a temp check on your team and hear what the "experts" are saying.

Now with the emergence of message boards (like this one), people are realizing that ESPN knows their way around a handful of teams, and know next to nothing about the rest. Folks can find way quicker, more in depth info about their favorite team on a team specific message board site.

Plus ESPN's "recruiting rankings" are hilariously out of alignment with the other big hitters (247, Rivals, etc) who actually do recruiting for a living.

Tl;dr - ESPN doesn't know anything and people are starting to realize it now.

Yup. And considering what Cable subscribers pay for it, there's certainly plenty of danger that they can't stay there. They are going to need some good decisions.

“I don’t watch unless the Vols are on.”

Yeah they don’t care then. They make their money off live sports. You’ll continue to watch. And they’ll still make money. As long as ESPN shows live sports, they’ll keep trucking along.

ESPN has sucked for years. Just a bunch of guys on split screen yelling at each other, usually about comparing some NBA players on inconsequential numbers.

It's because we don't need them for anything else, except live sports. Hot takes are the best way to get attention in daytime sports talk TV. People want to put all kinds of political meaning into everything that negatively happens with sports broadcasting, but the fact of the matter is the old TV model is dying.

The NBA was supposed to go broke a minute ago. Can't wait for the next TV contract to be announced. Surely they'll be in the poor house by then. Right? Right? Now we're to believe these same people who have no business acumen and who are led by their political emotions about ESPN and Disney going bankrupt. These brands are worth way too much and they'll survive the times.

The problem at Disney has nothing to do with woke or not woke. It has to do with mismanagement. They overpaid at ESPN for “talent”, they overpaid to take over the SEC. They spent way too much for bad movies They have had to pay more to get workers at the parks. I can go on but you get the point.

The problem at Disney has nothing to do with woke or not woke. It has to do with mismanagement. They overpaid at ESPN for “talent”, they overpaid to take over the SEC. They spent way too much for bad movies They have had to pay more to get workers at the parks. I can go on but you get the point.
Haven’t noticed any layoffs on the SEC Network. Doubt they regret creating that entity. It’s what the Longhorn Network would’ve been if there had been any demand.

They absolutely can.
I realize florida sucks right now, but don't
Some are better at reading (and comprehending) than others.
I realize there isn't much to get excited about at florida these days, but surely there are a few fans on the florida board for you to talk to. I guess I wouldn't want to hang out with a bunch of idle brain floridians either. Have you checked out the LSU board? Texas and Oklahoma will be SEC soon?

I realize florida sucks right now, but don't

I realize there isn't much to get excited about at florida these days, but surely there are a few fans on the florida board for you to talk to. I guess I wouldn't want to hang out with a bunch of idle brain floridians either. Have you checked out the LSU board? Texas and Oklahoma will be SEC soon?

Bless your heart.

VN Store

Back