Evening Scrimmage Notes

But judging on the fact that after his 98 yard run Butch was ticked at the defense tells me that it wasn't something that Raijon was expected or supposed to do.
Dumb statement Bro.
What did you expect him to do? Run down and give Neal a chest-bump in the end zone? No coach will be happy with a defense that just gave up 98 yds, no matter who the back is. Defense got beat bad at the LOS, and Neal took advantage of it.

Reactions: 1 person
Week 1 from Eugene: A few highlights from the Duck camp.
1. TE Colt Lyerla trimmed down to 250 pounds and is faster than last year
2. They say Thomas is faster than last year
3. Defensive line has been dominating the offensive line.
4. Tyner is looking really good on special teams.

Thank you for the Information :good!:

I know you're just posting info, but I highly doubt Thomas is even faster. The rest, I believe.

A 98 yd run by any back against any defense in any game or scrimmage is the fault of the defense not because the back is great.

I know you're just posting info, but I highly doubt Thomas is even faster. The rest, I believe.

It would be hard to believe, especially about Thomas, but I'm sure he trained hard during the offseason just like everyone else. Scary.

Go watch the Stanford-Oregon game. The Duck LB's flew up on almost every run play. Taylor who isn't that fast finally began bending his runs back in the 2nd half and gashed them.

Neal made a very good run. Good feet, good vision, great burst. Not sure why so many of you feel compelled to dump on him.

It's Bran, sj. :dunno:

Just imagine, our D is learning things the hard way against probably the best OL they'll play all year. I'm glad these glaring holes are being identified early.

Now we'll see how good the coaching is.

Just curious, if the vols were playing any SEC team and Neal broke for a 98 yard run for a touchdown would any self respecting vol fan really be bad mouthing him?

Trust me, pal. We got fans who live for and hunt for cause to badmouth our players. So yes, it would happen.

And if so why?

My guess is they never were properly weaned so must suck the life out of anything Vol-positive.

What value does it create to criticize someone who just performed well in practice?

The lack of values in them makes them desire to see no value in anything Vol-positive.

Yesterday ended last night. I could give a rip about what any of these guys did last year.

I'm more interested in what they are going to do about it.

That's common sense, unfortunately, it isn't common.

Fade's post sums it up perfectly. At first I get excited about Neal's run and start thinking that maybe he has figured it out. Then I start worrying that the defense just stunk it up with perhaps poor tackling. We really aren't going to know how either side measures up until they start playing for real.

If the DL was butting heads with the #1 OL, it might be that the purported best OL in CFB is powerful enough to just shove people out of the way. That's what we want from them, isn't it?

Yea, I was surprised when I read that comment on Thomas. I expected him to add maybe 10 or 15 pounds and maintain the same speed. That's what previous Oregon RBs have done over the off season.

Also, reading between the lines it sounds like Thomas has won the starting spot at RB contrary to rumors that Marshall was in the lead for the #1 spot.

Poor choice of a username by you, sir. You're anything but a brainiac. Unless, perhaps, you're like Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory and have no common sense. Seems logical.

On the other hand, maybe he is what his username says. You see, Brainiac is an evil s.o.b. Brainiac 5, however, is the good guy. Now, Sheldon and Brainiac are mutually exclusive. Sheldon at least, while an egoistical braggart, actually means well. Brainiac is a malevolent entity who just likes being a s.o.b. I hope this information has been helpful in clarifying, uh, the ahem, cough, cough, situation at hand. :)

Yea, I was surprised when I read that comment on Thomas. I expected him to add maybe 10 or 15 pounds and maintain the same speed. That's what previous Oregon RBs have done over the off season.

Also, reading between the lines it sounds like Thomas has won the starting spot at RB contrary to rumors that Marshall was in the lead for the #1 spot.

Has Thomas bulked up any? What is his reported size now? TIA

Has Thomas bulked up any? What is his reported size now? TIA

All I've heard is that he didn't try and put on weight, but he spent a lot of time working on strength and speed. Rumor is he's faster and stronger, but not bigger.

A 98 yd run by any back against any defense in any game or scrimmage is the fault of the defense not because the back is great.

What about a 50 yard run? What if Barry Sanders, in his prime, was the guy running the ball?

My guess is that the back made a few good move and the defense didn't counter it properly...isn't that how football works?

It's ok to give the RB or Oline or WRs blocking down field some props too instead of just blaming it on bad defense.

What about a 50 yard run? What if Barry Sanders, in his prime, was the guy running the ball?

My guess is that the back made a few good move and the defense didn't counter it properly...isn't that how football works?

It's ok to give the RB or Oline or WRs blocking down field some props too instead of just blaming it on bad defense.

Coach Jancek said today that they missed two tackles and he was gone after that
#VolReport: John Jancek Media Session (8/12/13) - YouTube

Neal's problem hasn't been speed. It's been making the correct read and making the first guy miss. He has had near miss home runs because he couldn't do one of those two.

I think some coaching can help with this, and I suspect he will be solid this year.

I was really surprised that Marshall was rumored to be ahead of Thomas and was hoping that would be the case at least for our game against you.

Thomas is a proven commodity. Marshall is currently, speculative. "Nuff said.

I was really surprised that Marshall was rumored to be ahead of Thomas and was hoping that would be the case at least for our game against you.

Well what it tells me is that the Ducks won't have a drop off in talent when they sub at the RB position, whether it's Thomas, Marshall, Tyner or perhaps Colt for short yardage.

Thomas is a proven commodity. Marshall is currently, speculative. "Nuff said.

I saw enough of Marshall last year that he made me smile when he got his hands on the ball. As the number 3 RB last year he got over 400 yds for the year. Tough kid with speed.

This is interesting, but hard to get a read on when its intersquad .. is the DL that good, or is the OL gonna have problems against a big physical DL? If its the latter, that might bode well for UT's matchup on the line.

I saw enough of Marshall last year that he made me smile when he got his hands on the ball. As the number 3 RB last year he got over 400 yds for the year. Tough kid with speed.

Don't think the Ducks will muck with what's known to work when it comes to Thomas.

Hey guys and girls, I have been out of circulation for a while but I am hearing there is going to be an open scrimmage this weekend in Neyland. Is there any truth to it?

VN Store

Back