'24 FL CB Cai Bates (FSU Commit)

So we shouldn’t expect Martinez to improve what’s already here? The only way he can be any good is if he has much better talent? Is that it?
Doesn’t the talent available typically correlate to the amount of production that we can expect especially in the secondary.. one breakdown is all it takes….. they also rely on the linebackers and defensive line to do their job.

So we shouldn’t expect Martinez to improve what’s already here? The only way he can be any good is if he has much better talent? Is that it?
Coaching has it's limits. There are 3 or 4 that would not have played on any other SEC team last year....they were not good enough. But they started here....

I like your takes but I’m higher on banks than you I think the overall jump from the defense last year was very good from year 2 I think heup transforming the offense to number 1 puts unfair criticism on banks… talent n depth was questionable and he was still learning strengths and weaknesses… I think the clemson game is the turning point… I think banks will match Heup’s aggression and blitz early n often that seems to be the best recipe for us… may give up a few more big plays but will create much more negative plays… I think Beasley has an AA type season… we will see though this is the money year for banks.

Agreed. Tennessee was #22 or #23 in the country in stop rate last year, that's impressive. With the most depleted roster on defense, injuries and having one of the fastest moving offenses in the country, Banks did what he had to do to try to help win games. And I don't care how you slice it or how he's criticized, we won 11 games and that could not have happened if we couldn't stop anybody. If we were #50 in stop rate, we would not have won that many games. We were in the 60's in stop rate Banks first year and we won 7 games.

Now with an upgraded roster on D, Banks will be able to open up the play book and the D will be much improved.

The only reason there was ever a "Banks hire", is because Top DC's in the country didn't want to risk their reputation coming here because they KNEW how bad the D could be. When Heupel was hired, they threw the bank at some BIG name DC's and our DC would be the top 5 paid DC in country, but everybody turned us down.

I'd much rather go to battle with someone that is confident and willing to sacrifice himself, than a coward that runs in fear to save him self......GBO. Banks took a chance and we're better for it.

Coaching has it's limits. There are 3 or 4 that would not have played on any other SEC team last year....they were not good enough. But they started here....

I stay confused, we have those advocating get rid of Martinez because he ain’t coaching up the talent to compete in SEC and some maybe some of those same ones are saying you will never compete in SEC and NC without a lot better talent. On the surface almost conflicting statements…..

I stay confused, we have those advocating get rid of Martinez because he ain’t coaching up the talent to compete in SEC and some maybe some of those same ones are saying you will never compete in SEC and NC without a lot better talent. On the surface almost conflicting statements…..
I believe that Martinez was a polarizing hire for Vols fans due to his previous tenure here. I had the “ughhh!” reaction but have kept an open mind because this was a Heupel hire all the way…one of his guys that he brought from UCF. Year one was an overall defensive travesty from all working parts…save the DL which represented well. If Martinez’s group makes the jump that the linebackers did last year (without much of an influx of talent but Beasley representing), you’ll hear some (not all) of the rabble dissipate. Pretty straightforward. No surge and I could see the recently hired analyst replacing him. Would be slightly disheartening because it would be the first fail hiring wise…so I’m not personally pulling for it to happen. There are those who felt Burns wasn’t impressive (tho the same checked for sky fragments when he bolted for the Saints), but we upgraded from within. I’ll end the loop I voluntarily entered and let the season results speak…yay or nay.

I believe that Martinez was a polarizing hire for Vols fans due to his previous tenure here. I had the “ughhh!” reaction but have kept an open mind because this was a Heupel hire all the way…one of his guys that he brought from UCF. Year one was an overall defensive travesty from all working parts…save the DL which represented well. If Martinez’s group makes the jump that the linebackers did last year (without much of an influx of talent but Beasley representing), you’ll hear some (not all) of the rabble dissipate. Pretty straightforward. No surge and I could see the recently hired analyst replacing him. Would be slightly disheartening because it would be the first fail hiring wise…so I’m not personally pulling for it to happen. There are those who felt Burns wasn’t impressive (tho the same checked for sky fragments when he bolted for the Saints), but we upgraded from within. I’ll end the loop I voluntarily entered and let the season results speak…yay or nay.
Gibson and Matthews may help in this regard, as well.

I think you are spot on saying the new hired analyst would take his place. I think Heupel sees it

Reactions: butchna
True…but will he play (i.e TRUST) them?
True. I imagine they may play backup reps or in case or emergency, but I think we have some talent (and experience) ahead of them, which is a good problem to have. Not many times you want to run freshman out there as your first option, so not needing them is a good thing, but having them and getting them some live reps heading into 2025 would be beneficial.

Agreed. Tennessee was #22 or #23 in the country in stop rate last year, that's impressive. With the most depleted roster on defense, injuries and having one of the fastest moving offenses in the country, Banks did what he had to do to try to help win games. And I don't care how you slice it or how he's criticized, we won 11 games and that could not have happened if we couldn't stop anybody. If we were #50 in stop rate, we would not have won that many games. We were in the 60's in stop rate Banks first year and we won 7 games.

Now with an upgraded roster on D, Banks will be able to open up the play book and the D will be much improved.

The only reason there was ever a "Banks hire", is because Top DC's in the country didn't want to risk their reputation coming here because they KNEW how bad the D could be. When Heupel was hired, they threw the bank at some BIG name DC's and our DC would be the top 5 paid DC in country, but everybody turned us down.

I'd much rather go to battle with someone that is confident and willing to sacrifice himself, than a coward that runs in fear to save him self......GBO. Banks took a chance and we're better for it.
Better but not grateful

Reactions: knoxvol52
I was looking at his official visits and saw that Florida St & Alabama have 0(zero) CB's. How is that possible? We have 11 and their 0 play better than our 11. Seems strange to me. I guess they could play a lot of "athletes" there but not to have any seems strange. Do we know when he is announcing?

VN Store

Back