'24 FL CB Cai Bates (FSU Commit)

I really don’t understand why anyone would follow recruiting if you can’t handle being let down. It’s going to happen…a lot! Just wait for the commitment. Then hope it sticks. Then hope they stay. If you can handle it, enjoy the fun of “maybe” along the way to signing day. Maybe we get this one. Maybe they end up being an Al Wilson. Maybe they end up being a player that helps the team, but we never remember their name. Maybe we get players from this class that help as true freshmen. Maybe we keep building a better team. There’s the sunshine! You can also focus on the maybe we didn’t get the perfect OL class or the perfect class to beat GA’s perfect class or the perfect LB or…..and just walk around with a black cloud over your head imagining everything that could go wrong.

Neither way of looking at it will change anything. So, yeah, I am a sunshine pumper focusing on anything good. A player chooses somewhere else, and he is immediately forgotten.

My recruiting advice. Don't listen to any fake insiders on here.

If a recruit chooses us, great.
If he doesnt, great. There's always someone else.

I also like that this LSU mod replied to a comment about NIL and said, “I honestly don't think Bates has much to do with NIL. My two cents.”

I honestly don’t think NIL plays as big of a role for many recruits as the people on the outside think. Sure there are players where NIL is the deciding and most important factor, but I don’t think that is for the majority.

I honestly don’t think NIL plays as big of a role for many recruits as the people on the outside think. Sure there are players where NIL is the deciding and most important factor, but I don’t think that is for the majority.
The better players know that if they show up and represent, the money will be there.

The majority of recruits nationwide aren't getting deals at all, and those that are, only the upper echelon are getting the kind of deals that should even be a reasonable consideration with regards to their school choice (school X's collective is offering $50k, while school Y's collective is offering $300k). Everything between those schools being relatively equal, school Y makes sense. But I think those scenarios are few and far between across the entire landscape of college football.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
It doesn’t but it’s an easy thing to blame when the specific truths seldom come out and are always nuanced.

I also like that this LSU mod replied to a comment about NIL and said, “I honestly don't think Bates has much to do with NIL. My two cents.”
I think it’s hilarious that they literally got the commitment date wrong, 26th not 28th. It’s the main detail of this breaking news

I talked to a guy associated with Georgia Tech recruiting, and he said high schoolers didn’t focus on NIL so much, but almost all of the transfers are completely NIL-focused. Although we are recruiting in different high school waters than them, so maybe our high school targets can demand more NIL talk.

wednesday-lebowski.gif

The better players know that if they show up and represent, the money will be there.
This is absolutely true.

I would like to know more about the details of some of these NIL agreements. I don't get the idea that any program or co-op is interested in just throwing money at an unproven player without some kind of out if the player flops. Seems that would be an incredibly stupid thing to do. And... imagine if someone is doing it and then has a bunch of NIL busts. They've invested limited resources in players that can't win which will drive down NIL investment and interests.

Essentially, you can tank your program by making big NIL payments to the wrong players.

I suspect however that there is some way in those contracts to end the agreement if the value of a player's name/image/likeness does not have some type of marketable value. Especially if we're talking "life changing" money. I don't think any of these groups can just throw a million at a kid and get nothing back.

It doesn’t but it’s an easy thing to blame when the specific truths seldom come out and are always nuanced.
I wish more folks had the ability to be reasonable. Recruiting is like hitting in baseball. Even the greatest are successful much less than 50% of the time... and effectiveness is far better measured by the ultimate result than the initial "hit".

The staff can do everything right and a kid choose another offer. For that matter, some other factor may outweigh a lot of mistakes by a staff in recruiting a kid. Miami has an appeal. If Franklin simply loves Miami and has a competitive NIL offer then he may choose a lesser coaching staff and opportunity to win.

Every kid has things that influence them. Some are common from one recruit to another. Some need to be sold over others. And some are so "nuanced" as you put it that you can do little about it.

Last edited:
How many times have we thought that before getting kicked in the balls? I'll get excited when they commit. Tired of getting excited then get let down lol
I wish... but won't hold my breath. I suspect you will continue to whine and complain and post anything negative you can find.

BTW, that IS the only rational way to approach recruiting. Appreciate the kids you get knowing that the staff's survival will depend heavily on finding, evaluating, and signing the talent needed to win. It is the end product we need to "get excited" about... or demand change over.

I wish more folks had the ability to be reasonable. Recruiting is like hitting in baseball. Even the greatest are successful much less than 50% of the time... and effectiveness is far better measured by the ultimate result then the initial "hit".

The staff can do everything right and a kid choose another offer. For that matter, some other factor may outweigh a lot of mistakes by a staff in recruiting a kid. Miami has an appeal. If Franklin simply loves Miami and has a competitive NIL offer then he may choose a lesser coaching staff and opportunity to win.

Every kid has things that influence them. Some are common from one recruit to another. Some need to be influenced over others. And some are so "nuanced" as you put it that you can do little about it.
Always been my favorite comparison for recruiting. Sure a 5* might be a slow fast ball right over the middle of the plate, but it’s still a strike if you have a bad eye and don’t know how to swing.

This is absolutely true.

I would like to know more about the details of some of these NIL agreements. I don't get the idea that any program or co-op is interested in just throwing money at an unproven player without some kind of out if the player flops. Seems that would be an incredibly stupid thing to do. And... imagine if someone is doing it and then has a bunch of NIL busts. They've invested limited resources in players that can't win which will drive down NIL investment and interests.

Essentially, you can tank your program by making big NIL payments to the wrong players.

I suspect however that there is some way in those contracts to end the agreement if the value of a player's name/image/likeness does not have some type of marketable value. Especially if we're talking "life changing" money. I don't think any of these groups can just throw a million at a kid and get nothing back.
yep. there's an NIL bubble building....and at some point this thing is going to level out on it's own when it eventually bursts. but early on, these kids are, and should, take advantage of what they can, while they can.

because the flipside is also true, kids that do prioritize NIL over all else, will also figure out that's not the only thing that should matter either.
some programs have already figured out, and i'd like to think we're one of those working with our collectives, that NIL is a value add. not the only value. i'm sorry, while Miami in and of itself is intriguing because of location etc...(i mean S Fl doesn't suck), from a football perspective these days it's just not the same as many other big time programs. there are better football situations than Miami, and long term, there are better NIL and post football/graduate opportunities at other programs. that's the truth. so in my opinion, programs like Miami that do have the capability of being elite at football again, have to be at the forefront of NIL and probably over pay early on to take advantage of it while they can. may work out, may not.

i just think long term, NIL settles down and every big program that has any semblance of a quality NIL program goes back to competing on a somewhat even playing field, just like they've done with coaching salaries, facilities etc....NIL will settle in to that mode as well.

This is absolutely true.

The more practical way this plays out is every kid wants to play. If they're not playing, they're not going to hang around for some extra money. Also while NIL deals can't be rescinded, scholarships are year to year.

yep. there's an NIL bubble building....and at some point this thing is going to level out on it's own when it eventually bursts. but early on, these kids are, and should, take advantage of what they can, while they can.

because the flipside is also true, kids that do prioritize NIL over all else, will also figure out that's not the only thing that should matter either.
some programs have already figured out, and i'd like to think we're one of those working with our collectives, that NIL is a value add. not the only value. i'm sorry, while Miami in and of itself is intriguing because of location etc...(i mean S Fl doesn't suck), from a football perspective these days it's just not the same as many other big time programs. there are better football situations than Miami, and long term, there are better NIL and post football/graduate opportunities at other programs. that's the truth. so in my opinion, programs like Miami that do have the capability of being elite at football again, have to be at the forefront of NIL and probably over pay early on to take advantage of it while they can. may work out, may not.

i just think long term, NIL settles down and every big program that has any semblance of a quality NIL program goes back to competing on a somewhat even playing field, just like they've done with coaching salaries, facilities etc....NIL will settle in to that mode as well.
Someone in the building has a funny line.. "kids don't need to come for all the right reasons, but they've gotta come for some of the right reasons."

If we don't get all three will you say they can't close?
Arion Carter chose UT after being subjected to the full court press by Saban. Also comes from an area that has hardly been UT loyal.
Daevin Hobbs chose UT over UGA, Ohio St, Bama, and practically any other relevant program. I believe cited the way the staff recruited him as a big part of why.
Leacock- UT found him before anyone else then held off pursuers.
Nico chose UT in spite of apparently being Saban's top QB target. Loved the staff.
Caleb Herring chose UT... and UGA was 2nd.
The staff "closed" with Cam Seldon who chose the Vols over numerous offers.
The staff "closed" with Jordan Matthews after he had been long considered a Texas lock... and with LSU making a charge at the end.
Heupel and crew took Ethan Davis away from Kiffin and others.

There are many others but those are examples of the staff "closing strong" in just one class.

The more practical way this plays out is every kid wants to play. If they're not playing, they're not going to hang around for some extra money. Also while NIL deals can't be rescinded, scholarships are year to year.
I would be surprised if NIL deals do not... or at least in the future will not... include some "deliverables" from the player. If a guy is a bust then he can't draw anyone for signature day at a car dealership. He literally has no value from an NIL perspective.

Now if that doesn't happen then the programs taking these big swings will likely get burned. That was the gist of my post. You also have to be really careful what a big NIL deal for a player who doesn't perform will do to the locker room... and especially if some 3* guy becomes a star and is told "we don't have NIL money for you".

VN Store

Back