'24 FL CB Cai Bates (FSU Commit)

No one cares about your feelings

If Bates picks LSU I’ll go along with my day like nothing happened because my entire identity doesn’t revolve around Tennessee football. Recruiting is something I follow when I’m trying to kill time. I don’t let it get me down because it’s ridiculous to be so emotionally invested in the decisions of teenagers. Go ahead and clutch your pearls until 7:30 tonight, then come in here and post a bomb gif when Matthews commits like you knew all along.

You wanna be here for the good news but you can’t take the bad, that’s soft. Get a grip.
This whole post is so utterly stupid I'm not even gonna post a rebuttal.

I wish more folks had the ability to be reasonable. Recruiting is like hitting in baseball. Even the greatest are successful much less than 50% of the time... and effectiveness is far better measured by the ultimate result than the initial "hit".

The staff can do everything right and a kid choose another offer. For that matter, some other factor may outweigh a lot of mistakes by a staff in recruiting a kid. Miami has an appeal. If Franklin simply loves Miami and has a competitive NIL offer then he may choose a lesser coaching staff and opportunity to win.

Every kid has things that influence them. Some are common from one recruit to another. Some need to be sold over others. And some are so "nuanced" as you put it that you can do little about it.

I am certainly not as smart as most of these people that say staff can’t close but here is my simple question that will help me be smarter if someone can answer it.

If it is we can’t close when we don’t get the recruit, since a lot of these recruits are choosing between UT, Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, and tOSU is it those staff that can’t close when they chose UT?

If Matthews choses UT is it because Clemson, USC and Georgia staffs could not close?

I commend this staff for shooting for the moon. They will hit more of those moon shots as the program gets more consistent and proves last year is not a flash in the pan. Heck, I bet a lot of those “can’t close” are the same one that were not happy with the Josh hire and I am sure that the fact that Josh has not won the SEC or SECCG or CFP is what is being told to recruits. Staff’s cred will come with every consistent year here on out.

I wish... but won't hold my breath. I suspect you will continue to whine and complain and post anything negative you can find.

BTW, that IS the only rational way to approach recruiting. Appreciate the kids you get knowing that the staff's survival will depend heavily on finding, evaluating, and signing the talent needed to win. It is the end product we need to "get excited" about... or demand change over.
Nobody is whining. And it's funny you can't stand complaining so bad that you posted a response where you whined and complained. This place is over run with smart @sses. It's exhausting.

What is it with these "where should he go" twits? Egos needing even more stroking? Worst thing about the portal is that coaches can't un-recruit some of these prima donnas for fear they'll be offended and hit the portal.

No one cares about your feelings

If Bates picks LSU I’ll go along with my day like nothing happened because my entire identity doesn’t revolve around Tennessee football. Recruiting is something I follow when I’m trying to kill time. I don’t let it get me down because it’s ridiculous to be so emotionally invested in the decisions of teenagers. Go ahead and clutch your pearls until 7:30 tonight, then come in here and post a bomb gif when Matthews commits like you knew all along.

You wanna be here for the good news but you can’t take the bad, that’s soft. Get a grip.
Well said.

I am certainly not as smart as most of these people that say staff can’t close but here is my simple question that will help me be smarter if someone can answer it.

If it is we can’t close when we don’t get the recruit, since a lot of these recruits are choosing between UT, Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, and tOSU is it those staff that can’t close when they chose UT?

If Matthews choses UT is it because Clemson, USC and Georgia staffs could not close?

I commend this staff for shooting for the moon. They will hit more of those moon shots as the program gets more consistent and proves last year is not a flash in the pan. Heck, I bet a lot of those “can’t close” are the same one that were not happy with the Josh hire and I am sure that the fact that Josh has not won the SEC or SECCG or CFP is what is being told to recruits. Staff’s cred will come with every consistent year here on out.
Perfect take.

The staff has "closed" on recruits that were heavily pursued by top programs... programs with more current credibility than UT... without even considering the NCAA's shadow that has recently lifted.

But more important IMO is that they have "found" some guys. John Slaughter was one of those 2nd level recruits last year. Nice offer list... not great. UT got him over UK and Ole Miss primarily. Nothing flashy in his recruitment. No big recruiting site love. He did get some praise in the Alabama-Mississippi all star game for being physical, a good closer, and having good coverage skills. He has the right measurables... yet just a ho-hum 3*.

He made a big impression in the spring. He's big and physical and appeared to be ahead of the curve mentally.

Those kinds of "wins" are the ones the staff needs even more than taking 5* players away from top programs.

I’ve said this a million times before Clemson swung big in the early Dabo years, they finished second a lot until they started winning those recruiting battles. Heupel just needs to keep winning on the field and swinging big in recruiting. Things are turning around with kids they just aren’t turning around quick enough for some people.

Then why are you?
Brian-Fantana-Easy-Champ-Anchorman.gif

I would be surprised if NIL deals do not... or at least in the future will not... include some "deliverables" from the player. If a guy is a bust then he can't draw anyone for signature day at a car dealership. He literally has no value from an NIL perspective.

Now if that doesn't happen then the programs taking these big swings will likely get burned. That was the gist of my post. You also have to be really careful what a big NIL deal for a player who doesn't perform will do to the locker room... and especially if some 3* guy becomes a star and is told "we don't have NIL money for you".
You can’t make the deals tied to performance in a literal sense unfortunately

Nobody is whining. And it's funny you can't stand complaining so bad that you posted a response where you whined and complained. This place is over run with smart @sses. It's exhausting.
Well. Since all of us smart @$$es exhaust you. You can go hang out with the dumb @$$es in Ignore Land. Bye.

Arion Carter chose UT after being subjected to the full court press by Saban. Also comes from an area that has hardly been UT loyal.
Daevin Hobbs chose UT over UGA, Ohio St, Bama, and practically any other relevant program. I believe cited the way the staff recruited him as a big part of why.
Leacock- UT found him before anyone else then held off pursuers.
Nico chose UT in spite of apparently being Saban's top QB target. Loved the staff.
Caleb Herring chose UT... and UGA was 2nd.
The staff "closed" with Cam Seldon who chose the Vols over numerous offers.
The staff "closed" with Jordan Matthews after he had been long considered a Texas lock... and with LSU making a charge at the end.
Heupel and crew took Ethan Davis away from Kiffin and others.

There are many others but those are examples of the staff "closing strong" in just one class.
I really thought the can’t close and have to get in state talent would for the most part go away after Carter/AL. No, they could not wait to find just one to start up that whole narrative again.

I honestly don’t think NIL plays as big of a role for many recruits as the people on the outside think. Sure there are players where NIL is the deciding and most important factor, but I don’t think that is for the majority.

True, but I just listened to an interview with a guy who covers Louisiana sports for ESPN and he said LSU is behind on NIL…

VN Store

Back