'24 FL CB Cai Bates (FSU Commit)

Top 10 currently. Commitments from eight 4 stars and one 5 star since beginning of May. I’d say they’re doing very well. Have they lost some battles to other bigtime programs? Yes. That’s how recruiting works. Not sure why that’s surprising to you since you’ve been following for many years.

I’ve been following long enough to know a blind homer and will put a positive spin on no matter what happens.

“This is fine.” 😉

I’m of the belief we’d have about the same type of class ranking wise if we’d gone 7-5/8-4 last year. I hoped we would parlay the 11-2 season into a top 5 class. This class is still very good, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed we aren’t trending that way.

If that makes me a negavol, or “staff can’t close guy” then so be it.

Gonna take more than one season of 11-2. Throw up 10 wins again, it’s more likely. Thrice, even more likely.

Tennessee for the last 15 years (not counting last year) has been a mid tier level winning program that lost star credibility with the elite prospects. One year does not get you to the level you need to be at to get several of these super recruits that you are looking for. The biggest thing getting us looks in addition to last year, is the NIL money. It will take three or four years of 9 plus wins a year, before the five stars automatically think of Tennessee. Sorry but high end recruiting will not be an instant gratification process. It will take several years of high level winning. The current staff is doing one hell of a job all the way around , when you consider what they walked into.
I thought it was obvious enough where I didn't need blue font. This is a really good class and we will finish strong.

At the end of the day there are approximately 25 spots and hundreds of good prospects. We are filling those spots with good prospects and I'm not worried about the ones we missed on.

I'm ready for football. Fall camp reports will satisfy the itch for a week

I’ve been following long enough to know a blind homer and will put a positive spin on no matter what happens.

“This is fine.” 😉
I’m personally fine with a top ten class for now. But if the staff keeps winning and it stays around the ten range then it becomes an issue. But for now I would consider this class “adequate” but needing improvement over time

Reactions: BADGER_VOL
I thought it was obvious enough where I didn't need blue font. This is a really good class and we will finish strong.

At the end of the day there are approximately 25 spots and hundreds of good prospects. We are filling those spots with good prospects and I'm not worried about the ones we missed on.

I'm ready for football. Fall camp reports will satisfy the itch for a week
Sorry about my lack of sarcasm detector. While you were blue fonting , there is others in here that are not. My post was just a reaction to some unrealistic expectations I have been seeing. My blood runs orange and I hope to live long enough to see us beat Alabama, Florida and Georgia all in the same year without a blame South Carolina misstep.

I’m of the belief we’d have about the same type of class ranking wise if we’d gone 7-5/8-4 last year. I hoped we would parlay the 11-2 season into a top 5 class. This class is still very good, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed we aren’t trending that way.

Know what you mean. After an 11-2 season I expected everybody with your expectations to kick in an xtra 100k to SPYRE. Obviously a cause and effect in play here. If all you guys had come through we could be full by now with A-listers.

Isn’t playing forum fun!

Good Lawd…

Tennessee for the last 15 years (not counting last year) has been a mid tier level winning program that lost star credibility with the elite prospects. One year does not get you to the level you need to be at to get several of these super recruits that you are looking for. The biggest thing getting us looks in addition to last year, is the NIL money. It will take three or four years of 9 plus wins a year, before the five stars automatically think of Tennessee. Sorry but high end recruiting will not be an instant gratification process. It will take several years of high level winning. The current staff is doing one hell of a job all the way around , when you consider what they walked into.
Thanks for the reasonable take. Exactly how I feel. While Heupel and company can turn it around quickly with X's and O's, development, culture, etc. Recruiting is going to take the longest by far. Kids like a winner, and most still don't associate Tennessee with "elite" or "winner." That takes time, unfortunately. Need a couple more big years.

If you think we went 7-5 last year yet would still be 4th in the SEC then you are mistaken. Dude it’s late July. There is still almost 5 months left until ESD. Your post doesn’t make you a nega or staff can’t close guy. It just makes you dumb.

It’s like people totally wiped their brain clean of where we were just two years ago.

People acting like this staff isn’t having issues getting kids across the finish line reminds me of the “this is fine” meme.

I make jokes about it, but it's like basketball.

Once you're able to operate at volume you're going to miss more shots than you make, guaranteed.

If this season goes sideways and we lose our recruiting class, then I'll be critical of the staff. If this season goes better than expected and we flip everyone, then I'll be the first in line to cheer them on.

I don't see the point on being critical in July/August yet.

Sometimes I miss the days before we had all this recruiting Info and we just pulled for the guys that wanted to wear orange. This board would have lost their mind over the Peyton Manning recruitment
IMG_2942.gif
first year I recall recruiting info being compiled was 2000. Gridscape/Scout. I was in HS in 1994 (when he committed). First year I recall following any info about it was Dec of 99. We recruited some noodle armed Golden boy from Thousand Oaks...

Your post got me to recall getting my first signed football in 1997, my step sister had a class with Peyton - got his signature. My son will be beneficiary of that one.

Anyway, cool story. My brother used to see Peyton on his way to the Law School. They'd nod.

Years later, sitting in skybox. My brother was relaxing, watching the game. Guess who plopped in the seat next to him? Peyton. Said he just likes to talk ball and watch games like a normal dude.

Will always be one of my faves.

Tennessee 2000 Football Commits

Last edited:
Also, saying we’re too 10 nationally sounds good but in reality that’s still like 6-7th in the SEC.
If this weren't totally false it would be true. But it's not true, so you should probably stop saying it.
2021: 4 SEC teams in Top 10 (Vols at #22)
2022: 3 SEC teams in Top 10 (Vols at #17)
2023: 3 SEC teams in Top 10 (Vols at #10)
2024: 4 SEC teams in Top 10 (Vols at #10)

VN Store

Back