'24 FL CB Cai Bates (FSU Commit)

OK. Prove that they do not have the talent with development to help "turn the tide". Jalen Carter was the first interior DL taken in the draft this year. Any idea on who was 2nd? Kancey a 3* who Pitt recruited out of Miami at 6'1" 280 lbs. Benton from Wisconsin was 4th or 5th... 3*.

Broderic Martin who was drafted 96th in the 3rd round from WKU... doesn't even have a profile on On3, 247, or Rivals. The draft is littered with 3* and below guys. Even when drafted lower because they do not get the spotlight of playing at a high level program... they often go on to have very successful careers.

I don't know if the staff can find or identify underrated guys. However they are out there and there is a possibility that either or both of those guys fit the bill.

OL and DL aren't particularly easy positions for the recruiting sites to rank. Much of what makes a lineman good isn't easy to differentiate.
you’re looking for the exceptions not the rule. College teams that stack rosters with blue chip recruits will bully lesser teams. Stack the talent with a coach and we win championships. Diamond in the roughs are great. We’ve had some and I hope we keep finding more. There are plenty of studs in college who don’t pan out in the league so that’s irrelevant for winning a cfb championship. The facts show us that these teams sustaining success are recruiting at a very high level. We are finally starting to stack top classes with a top coach. More stars the better our odds.

you’re looking for the exceptions not the rule. College teams that stack rosters with blue chip recruits will bully lesser teams.
Well, no. The only two teams that has proven true for in the last few years are UGA and Bama. The recruiting sites are copying THEIR work... not the other way round. Everyone else is looking for a Dabo path. You do your own evals and find guys that Saban/Smart ignore. It is very difficult to take guys away from the top 2-4 recruiting programs. Smart did it but he did it in the most talent dense state in the country.

Stack the talent with a coach and we win championships.
Agree completely. About 60% of 5* guys will get drafted.... they'll live up to their billing. That drops to 20% for 4*. That drops to 5% for 3* but a 3* rating usually means nothing more than a kid has multiple P-5 offers.

The pond a program has to fish to rise unless they're loaded with in state talent is those underrated 3*. Fortunately, there are a lot of them. Unfortunately... they're often more difficult to find.

Diamond in the roughs are great. We’ve had some and I hope we keep finding more.
I'm actually not even talking about diamonds in the rough who get bigger or respond well to development. I'm talking about guys who for whatever reason are as good as more highly rated players but don't get the attention. Cam Sutton comes to mind. His 3* rating was an absolute joke.

There are plenty of studs in college who don’t pan out in the league so that’s irrelevant for winning a cfb championship.
That's kind of the point. If you can find those high ceiling 3* guys then you have something equal or better than programs getting all the 5* "studs". I'm not saying that you go wrong if you can beat Bama, UGA, OSU, et al for their 5* guys. There is a good chance you're getting elite talent. But you just can't make a living at it. You have to get some of those wins but you also have to find your own.

The facts show us that these teams sustaining success are recruiting at a very high level. We are finally starting to stack top classes with a top coach. More stars the better our odds.

That depends on what you mean and how you define success. Bama and UGA are getting talent and winning at a high level. Here are last year's most talented rosters according to 247 with their record:

Bama 11-2
UGA 15-0
OSU 11-2
A&M 5-7
Clemson 11-3
Texas 8-5
Oregon 10-3 and smoked by UGA
LSU 10-4
OU 6-7
ND 9-4

OSU hasn't won it since 2014 in spite of perpetually being top 3 in talent according to the recruiting sites. A&M and OU... well. Clemson appears to have declined since their last NC. Texas keeps winning on Signing Day but can't seem to win on gameday. That goes back a couple or 3 coaches.

Basically it is UGA and Bama and EVERYONE else chasing.

One more thing. Saban is 71 and just bought a $17 million retirement home in Florida. He's lining up for a landing. When he retires... the whole dynamic changes because UGA can't sign them all.
The dude is gonna coach for atleast 5-7 more years

Well, no. The only two teams that has proven true for in the last few years are UGA and Bama. The recruiting sites are copying THEIR work... not the other way round. Everyone else is looking for a Dabo path. You do your own evals and find guys that Saban/Smart ignore. It is very difficult to take guys away from the top 2-4 recruiting programs. Smart did it but he did it in the most talent dense state in the country.

Agree completely. About 60% of 5* guys will get drafted.... they'll live up to their billing. That drops to 20% for 4*. That drops to 5% for 3* but a 3* rating usually means nothing more than a kid has multiple P-5 offers.

The pond a program has to fish to rise unless they're loaded with in state talent is those underrated 3*. Fortunately, there are a lot of them. Unfortunately... they're often more difficult to find.

I'm actually not even talking about diamonds in the rough who get bigger or respond well to development. I'm talking about guys who for whatever reason are as good as more highly rated players but don't get the attention. Cam Sutton comes to mind. His 3* rating was an absolute joke.

That's kind of the point. If you can find those high ceiling 3* guys then you have something equal or better than programs getting all the 5* "studs". I'm not saying that you go wrong if you can beat Bama, UGA, OSU, et al for their 5* guys. There is a good chance you're getting elite talent. But you just can't make a living at it. You have to get some of those wins but you also have to find your own.

That depends on what you mean and how you define success. Bama and UGA are getting talent and winning at a high level. Here are last year's most talented rosters according to 247 with their record:

Bama 11-2
UGA 15-0
OSU 11-2
A&M 5-7
Clemson 11-3
Texas 8-5
Oregon 10-3 and smoked by UGA
LSU 10-4
OU 6-7
ND 9-4

OSU hasn't won it since 2014 in spite of perpetually being top 3 in talent according to the recruiting sites. A&M and OU... well. Clemson appears to have declined since their last NC. Texas keeps winning on Signing Day but can't seem to win on gameday. That goes back a couple or 3 coaches.

Basically it is UGA and Bama and EVERYONE else chasing.
How do you find the time to type this all out when you live in such a fascinating state?!

He wants one more title. That said last year was hard on him, he aged more in that season than any other. He has coaching in his blood but I could see the frustration getting to him this year. Hopefully we beat their ass at home this year and give him a good send off into retirement.

I would add to this more than any other regular season game they have Tennessee circled. It’s in their craw and they hate it. Had to choke on that loss for a year. It’s in the player comments it’s in Steele’s comments, it’s in Saban’s comments as well. They want more than anything to win that game and embarrass us. We beat them at home I think it breaks them.

Maybe. But there are multiple reasons he may not. He could think he's losing a step... and he's probably not wrong. He could and probably does have health issues that we don't know about that cause him a lot of discomfort doing his job.

He's also seen great coaches go out bad like Paterno.

Then you have to think about that house. Why buy a house considering the schedule he keeps at Bama. He won't have time to go to it.

Maybe. But there are multiple reasons he may not. He could think he's losing a step... and he's probably not wrong. He could and probably does have health issues that we don't know about that cause him a lot of discomfort doing his job.

He's also seen great coaches go out bad like Paterno.

Then you have to think about that house. Why buy a house considering the schedule he keeps at Bama. He won't have time to go to it.
To your last line, its not like this is the first time this exact same argument has been made. this is his third home, he has an 11 million dollar lake house already, and people were saying he was bound to retire shortly after he got that one.....back in 2013.

his wife would have time, maybe for his daughter. He infamously spent some time in Italy this summer. maybe its something they have been looking for for a while, and it finally came on the market. maybe its just an investment property.

great coaches generally aren't worried about going out like Paterno unless they know something behind the scenes. we know the NCAA won't go after him, so it would have to be something actually illegal to chase him off. they all think they are better, they all have that drive that constantly pushes them, especially the best ones.

we have been using these exact same arguments for a decade, at least. Eventually some Nostradamus will get it right, but it will only be after another couple thousand of their predictions miss. Nothing particularly compelling about the current circumstances to think he is gone.

His previous "down years" have all been followed with his better runs. I wouldn't count him out, especially if he is going back to a ground and pound offense that he prefers. That simplifies his job a lot, and probably removes a lot of the ego from the offensive coordinators he has had to put up with running a spread offense.

Reactions: sjt18
To your last line, its not like this is the first time this exact same argument has been made. this is his third home, he has an 11 million dollar lake house already, and people were saying he was bound to retire shortly after he got that one.....back in 2013.

his wife would have time, maybe for his daughter. He infamously spent some time in Italy this summer. maybe its something they have been looking for for a while, and it finally came on the market. maybe its just an investment property.

great coaches generally aren't worried about going out like Paterno unless they know something behind the scenes. we know the NCAA won't go after him, so it would have to be something actually illegal to chase him off. they all think they are better, they all have that drive that constantly pushes them, especially the best ones.

we have been using these exact same arguments for a decade, at least. Eventually some Nostradamus will get it right, but it will only be after another couple thousand of their predictions miss. Nothing particularly compelling about the current circumstances to think he is gone.

His previous "down years" have all been followed with his better runs. I wouldn't count him out, especially if he is going back to a ground and pound offense that he prefers. That simplifies his job a lot, and probably removes a lot of the ego from the offensive coordinators he has had to put up with running a spread offense.
My only answer to that is that he has never been 71 before and hopefully... never been pushed like Heupel, Smart, and others are about to push him.

FWIW, I would much rather beat him before he retires...

Reactions: MadWorld and 67Vol
My only answer to that is that he has never been 71 before and hopefully... never been pushed like Heupel, Smart, and others are about to push him.

FWIW, I would much rather beat him before he retires...
It is also a new world of free transfers via portal and NIL that he has never had to deal with.

Previously coaches could sell swamp land to players and they would either suck it up and sit the bench for 3 years waiting their turn or sit out a year, those days are gone.

He wants one more title. That said last year was hard on him, he aged more in that season than any other. He has coaching in his blood but I could see the frustration getting to him this year. Hopefully we beat their ass at home this year and give him a good send off into retirement.

I would add to this more than any other regular season game they have Tennessee circled. It’s in their craw and they hate it. Had to choke on that loss for a year. It’s in the player comments it’s in Steele’s comments, it’s in Saban’s comments as well. They want more than anything to win that game and embarrass us. We beat them at home I think it breaks them.
It's a damn shame they don't still have Bryce Young this year. We should hand them a real beating this year, and it will be on their home field.

VN Store

Back