'24 FL CB Cai Bates (FSU Commit)

I used to know his brother Watson really well. What’s funny is Mack is the least cerebral in terms of a football mind, than Watson. However Mack is excellent at being the head coach and manages people and the game and the program.

His family are legends in Tennessee and Mack is genuinely a great guy.

Watson Brown is on Tony Basilio show every Wednesday during Football season. You can tell he is a great Football mind. Just never had a great situation to succeed as a Head Coach.

The improvement of this secondary has to impress Bates. Much as Vol fans have criticized Martinez, it’s hard to deny the job he’s done this season. And he’s done it with his top CB coming into the season (Slaughter) injured for most of the year. Kamal Hadden doesn’t look like the same player. He’s playing at a really high level.

If I’m Bates, I’m looking at that and thinking Tennessee will turn me into a high draft pick.

The improvement of this secondary has to impress Bates. Much as Vol fans have criticized Martinez, it’s hard to deny the job he’s done this season. And he’s done it with his top CB coming into the season (Slaughter) injured for most of the year. Kamal Hadden doesn’t look like the same player. He’s playing at a really high level.

If I’m Bates, I’m looking at that and thinking Tennessee will turn me into a high draft pick.

No way you can look at Kamal Hadden’s growth and our improved cornerback play and conclude Martinez is a good coach. That’s ridiculous

No way you can look at Kamal Hadden’s growth and our improved cornerback play and conclude Martinez is a good coach. That’s ridiculous
Tennessee's defense held aTm to one offensive running TD and collected 2 interceptions. That was a very talented SEC team. Tell us again how Martinez is not a very good coach. Also, explain how he has gotten players into the NFL.

Tennessee's defense held aTm to one offensive running TD and collected 2 interceptions. That was a very talented SEC team. Tell us again how Martinez is not a very good coach. Also, explain how he has gotten players into the NFL.

Oh I was totally kidding. Post above was dripping with sarcasm

He is a terrible coach. There you go.

Reactions: Deebowbear
The secondary is still not very good. The improved DL play is making them look better than they really are. A good to great pass rush is always gonna help the secondary out and that's what we've been seeing lately.

This is just a general truth. A good pass rush will make a secondary look better than it is. That's not unique to us.

💯

Through 3 SEC games, this secondary has allowed as many pass TDs to opposing QBs as they’ve scored off of them. How anyone can think that is acceptable at Tennessee is beyond me.

The secondary is still not very good. The improved DL play is making them look better than they really are. A good to great pass rush is always gonna help the secondary out and that's what we've been seeing lately.
What secondary have you seen that was elite with a below average pass rush? I'm not saying our secondary is elite by any means, but to continue to degrade those guys after holding USCe and TAMU to their lowest offensive outputs of the season is just hating at this point.

What secondary have you seen that was elite with a below average pass rush? I'm not saying our secondary is elite by any means, but to continue to degrade those guys after holding USCe and TAMU to their lowest offensive outputs of the season is just hating at this point.
It's not hating. It's pointing out the facts. The secondary has been below average Heupels entire tenure. And I will say that a great DL has more impact on a below average secondary than does a great secondary on a below average DL, but let's get real, our defensive pressure so far this year, when it's been on, has greatly impacted the opposing teams passing attack and it has nothing to do with the secondary.

It's not hating. It's pointing out the facts. The secondary has been below average Heupels entire tenure. And I will say that a great DL has more impact on a below average secondary than does a great secondary on a below average DL, but let's get real, our defensive pressure so far this year, when it's been on, has greatly impacted the opposing teams passing attack and it has nothing to do with the secondary.
Who cares? Normally, the best TEAM wins the game. This game demonstrates that perfectly. Most people think of Heupel as an offensive coach only, but this win show he understands it takes all three phases to be consistently successfu, and he is building a complete, three phase team. Some games the offense will light it up, some games the defense will have to dominate, and some games special teams will make the difference. This team did what was necessary to win a game that very easily could have been a loss. We broke a couple of trends yesterday. Heupel had not won a game when trailing at halftime nor when scoring less than 30 points. Scratch those two negative trends. This team continues to impress me. No, I don’t believe we’re beating Bama or UGA, largely because of QB play. But our defense will give us a chance in both of those games.

VN Store

Back