'24 FL CB Cai Bates (FSU Commit)

sll I’m saying is, maybe all the db’s are looking better now that we are getting pressure on the qb

Yes if you don’t get pressure, can’t expect DBs to cover forever. Team game. But Hadden does look better. He’s keeping it together between the ears. That alone is development.

sll I’m saying is, maybe all the db’s are looking better now that we are getting pressure on the qb
Kamal Hadden has made individual improvement. And I'm not just talking about his INTs the last couple of games. I've focused on him in coverage while watching at he games. Jeudy-Lally has come along this season, as well. Tennessee has been playing without its top CB, Slaughter, because he's not healthy, but those 2 have stepped up recently.

Yes, a pass rush makes a secondary look better, but their individual improvement is a reflection of good coaching and also a credit to them.

Kamal Hadden has made individual improvement. And I'm not just talking about his INTs the last couple of games. I've focused on him in coverage while watching at he games. Jeudy-Lally has come along this season, as well. Tennessee has been playing without its top CB, Slaughter, because he's not healthy, but those 2 have stepped up recently.

Yes, a pass rush makes a secondary look better, but their individual improvement is a reflection of good coaching and also a credit to them.
Well said.

maybe we are getting more pressure because the DL has extra time because we are covering longer.

or maybe here is a wild and crazy idea....both the DL and the secondary actually improved. woh, mind blown.

its a team sport. every positions play impacts all the other positions. if there is a bust in the coverage on one play, a great pass rush may erase it if they can pressure the qb. If the DL gets walled off from the QB but the DBs are in great coverage, then the DL get the time they need to make the play. it goes both ways.

we are clearly improved on all parts of the defense. only VN would sit here and try to bad mouth a position that has improved nationally by 100 spots, and is giving up almost 100 fewer yards a game, and more interceptions than they did a year ago.

I thought the rumor was for CWM to be out at the end of this season? The whole “Wait till he catches it then tackle him.” type of play isn’t very encouraging.

Reactions: Deebowbear
The “rumor” 😂 you mean people talking on VN

I don’t want to put words in anyone’s mouth. I couldn’t remember if it was AP on Volquest or one of our trusted insiders here. In my memory it was that CJH wanted low turnover among staff for the rebuild, but at the end of this year would be a time to make changes with CWM being alluded to in that discussion.

Reactions: VolNash17
I thought the rumor was for CWM to be out at the end of this season? The whole “Wait till he catches it then tackle him.” type of play isn’t very encouraging.
it was a rumor because he was the only coach that didn't get a contract extension.

the play of the DBs wasn't encouraging either, which added fuel to the fact of his stagnant contract.

It's not hating. It's pointing out the facts. The secondary has been below average Heupels entire tenure. And I will say that a great DL has more impact on a below average secondary than does a great secondary on a below average DL, but let's get real, our defensive pressure so far this year, when it's been on, has greatly impacted the opposing teams passing attack and it has nothing to do with the secondary.
Hadden has been in great position much more this year. It’s kind of funny, when we struggled in year one, it was stated by many (including me) that the lack of pressure greatly affects the secondary. You can’t expect the DB’s to cover for more than a few seconds in today’s game. The entire defense all works together, and you have to praise the units when they succeed.

it was a rumor because he was the only coach that didn't get a contract extension.

the play of the DBs wasn't encouraging either, which added fuel to the fact of his stagnant contract.
Heupel also hired some grad assistant/analyst type who is a DB coach. Can't recall his name. Some consider him a rising star in the business and it's been speculated that he's going to be Willie's replacement. So that, combined with WM being the only assistant without an extension this offseason, has contributed to the rumors. But I haven't seen anything that makes me believe they're anything more than rumors.

I don’t want to put words in anyone’s mouth. I couldn’t remember if it was AP on Volquest or one of our trusted insiders here. In my memory it was that CJH wanted low turnover among staff for the rebuild, but at the end of this year would be a time to make changes with CWM being alluded to in that discussion.
It was… a few people alluded to staff changes likely at seasons end. Add in the fact of DBs being clueless and their position coach not getting an extension. Anyone could put together those dots. We’ll see… just half the season left with Missouri, Bama, Georgia still on the docket all with capable offenses

no you beat me to it lol
Was directed more at the people saying the Dline improving is why the secondary doesn’t suck and not giving those DBs any credit. Coverage is only built to be good for so long, so of course if the Dline never gets pressure the secondary will get exposed. The DBs were in great position most of the night, this was by far their best game. We gave up some third and longs but for the most part that secondary unit was solid.

It's not hating. It's pointing out the facts. The secondary has been below average Heupels entire tenure. And I will say that a great DL has more impact on a below average secondary than does a great secondary on a below average DL, but let's get real, our defensive pressure so far this year, when it's been on, has greatly impacted the opposing teams passing attack and it has nothing to do with the secondary.
This isn't true. First db's can only cover so long. Pass rush needs to give no longer than 4 seconds max. We have had issues last year with abysmal pass rush. We have greatly improved everywhere defensively and the dbs are not losing coverage. Sometimes other teams make some plays.

Reactions: bigl3327

VN Store

Back