'24 FL CB Cai Bates (FSU Commit)

Who cares? Normally, the best TEAM wins the game. This game demonstrates that perfectly. Most people think of Heupel as an offensive coach only, but this win show he understands it takes all three phases to be consistently successfu, and he is building a complete, three phase team. Some games the offense will light it up, some games the defense will have to dominate, and some games special teams will make the difference. This team did what was necessary to win a game that very easily could have been a loss. We broke a couple of trends yesterday. Heupel had not won a game when trailing at halftime nor when scoring less than 30 points. Scratch those two negative trends. This team continues to impress me. No, I don’t believe we’re beating Bama or UGA, largely because of QB play. But our defense will give us a chance in both of those games.
If the DL gets pressure, yes I agree they can keep us in the game In both of those games, and agree again that QB play or the lack thereof will be the difference in those 2 games.

Reactions: Big151Orange
Our secondary has shut down two of the best WRs in the SEC in consecutive games. Legette(USCe) and Smith(TAMU). Those are both future NFLers. As you can see in the above graphic from the previous post, teams have definitely targeted Hadden. He has more than stood up to the test so far as a pass defender. Yes, he's had some head scratching plays defending the run....but to say the success that the secondary is having is only due to RG and the pass rush is ludicrous. The defensive staff as a whole has done one helluva job developing and preparing those guys to this point. We'll have to see how prepared they are to play on the road and if the UF game was an anomaly, much like the South Carolina game last year.

Last edited:
Rodney Garner is making ole willie look way better than he is
Garner is doing a great job but talk about two coaches that get more credit/blame than they deserve. Isn’t Pearce and those guys coached by Ekeler. It doesn’t matter what our secondary does… some fans will never give him credit.

Garner is doing a great job but talk about two coaches that get more credit/blame than they deserve. Isn’t Pearce and those guys coached by Ekeler. It doesn’t matter what our secondary does… some fans will never give him credit.
Ekeler coaches outside linebackers. Pearce is a D-line man. That's Garner

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Ekeler coaches outside linebackers. Pearce is a D-line man. That's Garner
it is my understanding that Pearce fits the category of Edge/DE/OLB (sort of like TJ Watt for the Steelers) which would be Ekeler’s group ….. Garner is responsible the rest of the DL while Brian is responsible for the two LBs that we play.

it is my understanding that Pearce fits the category of Edge/DE/OLB (sort of like TJ Watt for the Steelers) which would be Ekeler’s group ….. Garner is responsible the rest of the DL while Brian is responsible for the two LBs that we play.
Correct, Ekeler coaches the Edge guys. But I’m pretty sure Garner and Ekeler work together on them. Regardless, the point remains. Ekeler deserves credit.

I would find it hard to believe that there is a hard division. I imagine DL drills are run together and coverage drills are run with the other backers. But I'm just an Outsider. I could have sworn I've seen the Edge players running drills with Garner in Volquest practice videos though.

I have been saying that but he has proven me wrong. Martinez has improved big time. You cannot on one hand look at Haddens growth and on the other day Martinez is terrible. Right now we are 29th in passing yards allowed.
Not likely. Probably two things. The DBs are using what they've been taught and now have experience to apply it better. Second... Banks is just being a lot more aggressive all over the field. I have been critical and frustrated that he's played DBs off too much. A&M probably has the most raw receiver talent UT has seen in a while. The DBs played them tight and shut their best guy down.

Not likely. Probably two things. The DBs are using what they've been taught and now have experience to apply it better. Second... Banks is just being a lot more aggressive all over the field. I have been critical and frustrated that he's played DBs off too much. A&M probably has the most raw receiver talent UT has seen in a while. The DBs played them tight and shut their best guy down.

If that’s what you choose to believe then fine. I am going to give credit to Martinez. I think he deserves it.

If that’s what you choose to believe then fine. I am going to give credit to Martinez. I think he deserves it.
I don't deny him credit. I just don't think he made some sudden personal improvement as a DB coach. I think he's consistently taught and coached his guys. It is starting to pay dividends in their play.

I have been critical of Banks but want to give him max credit too... and especially if he keeps coaching like the A&M game.

I don't deny him credit. I just don't think he made some sudden personal improvement as a DB coach. I think he's consistently taught and coached his guys. It is starting to pay dividends in their play.

I have been critical of Banks but want to give him max credit too... and especially if he keeps coaching like the A&M game.
The defense will need to take the crowd out of the game early this weekend. Maybe the most impressive thing for me is that the defense is performing at this level without D. Slaughter or K. Pili.

A PBU is when the DB actually knocks the ball away. Pass defended are the result of an incompletion as the result of the DB’s coverage, through no fault of the QB, but not actually deflected away.
are they exclusive of each other. so its 8 PBUs and then 11 other passes defended?

and what counts as a deflection? Is it only while the ball is in the air? But if the WR gets his hands on it and the DB swipes it away it becomes a pass defended instead? Or would that still be a deflection?

thanks for the answer btw.

Their two top WR’s are a RS senior (Smith) and a sophomore (Stewart). Stewart was a 5 star and the 6th ranked player in his class. Muhammad is a redshirt junior and a top 200 player. With Bru’s injury, their WR’s are much more highly rated than ours.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Their two top WR’s are a RS senior (Smith) and a sophomore (Stewart). Stewart was a 5 star and the 6th ranked player in his class. Muhammad is a redshirt junior and a top 200 player. With Bru’s injury, their WR’s are much more highly rated than ours.
Where did I say anything about UT's receivers being more talented or highly rated than A&M's?

Reactions: BigALWiLson
and who saw that happening?

the DB unit is playing much better and D as a whole is hitting stride.

KEEP IT UP MEN - BEAT BAMA!!!

Where did I say anything about UT's receivers being more talented or highly rated than A&M's?
I just don’t believe A&M’s WR’s are raw. UT is playing with WR’s that are even more raw. UK’s are more raw. Bama doesn’t have a senior WR. UF plays a freshman WR with Pearsall. Just perspective.

VN Store

Back