'24 FL CB Cai Bates (FSU Commit)

I doubt Bates signs here if Martinez is let go after the season.
Martinez won’t be let go. For all the criticism, the defense is better than last year at least when all position groups are healthy. Martinez may choose to leave on his own. If he does there is a succession plan already in place.

Reactions: HalfullVol
I'm not a fan of Banks I believe his design limits what the secondary can do. However I think Heupel knows more than I do. We will see what happens
I’m with you on some criticism BUT outside Hadden who is just supremely athletic in that secondary right now? Maybe Gibson who is a true freshman. We’ve got some solid players and a few elite athletes; we need to get to elite everywhere. This class and last class are what we need every year in the secondary.

Martinez won’t be let go. For all the criticism, the defense is better than last year at least when all position groups are healthy. Martinez may choose to leave on his own. If he does there is a succession plan already in place.
Martinez was the one coach who didn't get a contract extension. This season is the last season on his contract. Hard not to see that as a "perform or else" type of moment.

I’m with you on some criticism BUT outside Hadden who is just supremely athletic in that secondary right now? Maybe Gibson who is a true freshman. We’ve got some solid players and a few elite athletes; we need to get to elite everywhere. This class and last class are what we need every year in the secondary.
I agree. But we can't have freshmen everywhere especially on the road in SEC games. I think 2 years from now we are singing a different tune. I do think some staff changes are warranted. It doesn't matter how athletic they are with 10 yd cushions. Hopefully that changes in the near future but I fear this is what Banks wants to do defensively.

I agree. But we can't have freshmen everywhere especially on the road in SEC games. I think 2 years from now we are singing a different tune. I do think some staff changes are warranted. It doesn't matter how athletic they are with 10 yd cushions. Hopefully that changes in the near future but I fear this is what Banks wants to do defensively.
Yeah I think it's hard to say the blame is solely on Martinez. He very well may be teaching technique based on the scheme Banks has put together. I do know they seem to look a lot better when they're playing aggressively (press man, etc.) rather than the soft cushion zone.

Reactions: #Vol4Life1991
Yeah I think it's hard to say the blame is solely on Martinez. He very well may be teaching technique based on the scheme Banks has put together. I do know they seem to look a lot better when they're playing aggressively (press man, etc.) rather than the soft cushion zone.
Don’t you think there are just some fundamental techniques that every DB coach should coach regardless of scheme though? Turning your head around, be physical at the line of scrimmage you know those types of things?

AP's full quote:
Tennessee has continued to do a phenomenal job in this one but FSU is pushing hard. He is set to be here this weekend and that will be a real opportunity to close this one out. While I think many things are trending in the right direction, I don’t believe it’s some lay down and FSU is very much in play here.

Don’t you think there are just some fundamental techniques that every DB coach should coach regardless of scheme though? Turning your head around, be physical at the line of scrimmage you know those types of things?
Yeah some things should be fundamental. I’ve heard and read that some DB coaches also teach DB’s to play the receiver moreso than the ball as well so who knows. Also, can’t be physical at the line of scrimmage if you’re 10 yards off of it lol

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I’m pretty sure our DB’s are taught to turn their head only when they are even or slightly behind the WR. When you turn your head, a person normally slows down. When our DB’s are behind the WR, they don’t turn so that that they can catch up and swat the WR’s hands. The only ball you can catch if you are behind is an underthrown ball. You attack the WR’s hands when you are behind. I would guess an experienced DB would agree as well.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
I’m pretty sure our DB’s are taught to turn their head only when they are even or slightly behind the WR. When you turn your head, a person normally slows down. When our DB’s are behind the WR, they don’t turn so that that they can catch up and swat the WR’s hands. The only ball you can catch if you are behind is an underthrown ball. You attack the WR’s hands when you are behind. I would guess an experienced DB would agree as well.
The defensive backs who are in phase with the receiver will turn and play the ball in the air. The db's that are out of phase will attempt to catch up to the receiver & play his hands. It gets repeatedly explained on here. One of these years it will make sense to them. Or maybe not.

VN Store

Back