'24 FL CB Cai Bates (FSU Commit)

The defensive backs who are in phase with the receiver will turn and play the ball in the air. The db's that are out of phase will attempt to catch up to the receiver & play his hands. It gets repeatedly explained on here. One of these years it will make sense to them. Or maybe not.
it wont

The defensive backs who are in phase with the receiver will turn and play the ball in the air. The db's that are out of phase will attempt to catch up to the receiver & play his hands. It gets repeatedly explained on here. One of these years it will make sense to them. Or maybe not.

100%. I’ve spent a decade of my life as a DB coach and that’s 100% correct. If you’re out of phase (not in the WRs hip), you play his hands. If you’re in phase, you maintain contact with your outside hand (so you know where the WR is) while turning to play the ball.

It gets explained over and over and yet we will still hear “they don’t turn around”! Good. They shouldn’t if they’re out of phase because they’re trying to catch up to the WR and don’t want to turn their head because it will slow them down.

I explain it to my DBs like this: You wouldn’t run your forty with your turned around looking at the starting line. Why? Because it will slow you down. If we are beat, run your 40 (or intentionally playing trail man)

100%. I’ve spent a decade of my life as a DB coach and that’s 100% correct. If you’re out of phase (not in the WRs hip), you play his hands. If you’re in phase, you maintain contact with your outside hand (so you know where the WR is) while turning to play the ball.

It gets explained over and over and yet we will still hear “they don’t turn around”! Good. They shouldn’t if they’re out of phase because they’re trying to catch up to the WR and don’t want to turn their head because it will slow them down.

I explain it to my DBs like this: You wouldn’t run your forty with your turned around looking at the starting line. Why? Because it will slow you down. If we are beat, run your 40 (or intentionally playing trail man)

Basically we need better DBs aka faster DBs

Basically we need better DBs aka faster DBs

Yes, but it’s gotten better with the last class. I posted a year ago that we had the least amount of 4/5 star DBs in the SEC with the exception of Vandy. But the 2023 class had a lot of DB talent.

What Cornbread did in terms of DB recruiting may be worse than Dooley and his year without any oline men.

Also to be fair to our DBs sometimes trail coverage is intentional (2 man scheme)

View attachment 595676

Kind of funny that his composite ranking of 101 is higher than every individual ranking used for the composite.
Mathematics GIFs | Tenor

That tells you that none of the recruiting services included in the composite rankings are even remotely close to agreeing on the relative rankings of CB's within this recruiting class.

Bates rankings are very consistent. From 100-150 and 9th-18th best corner.

VN Store

Back