'24 FL CB Cai Bates (FSU Commit)

It seems we keep clawing backwards needing to rely on portal more every year.

I like Huep. But if there is a knock on this staff its not widening the net wide enough, and not grabbing the ones close to the boat when they have a chance.

They do struggle to close big fish.
Unfortunately true. A lot of us used to get dragged for doubting our defensive recruiting, but it's blatantly obvious these kids know that Martinez sucks. I really hope he moves on after the season. Banks ain't much better either.

Unfortunately true. A lot of us used to get dragged for doubting our defensive recruiting, but it's blatantly obvious these kids know that Martinez sucks. I really hope he moves on after the season. Banks ain't much better either.
I dont know that Martinez sucks. In fact, to the reverse. I think he's a good coach with 30 years of SEC experience. I think he's overly reliant on 'development.' Which he has middling success with. Recruiting has to get better, and that goes for Rodney also. The entire staff has to make it happen.

I’m starting to have some real doubts they get it done long term.
do what? they just need to close some deals. we have good coaches.

it is frustrating that they havent done as well as we thought theyd do on the trail or in the portal for that matter.

do what? they just need to close some deals. we have good coaches.

it is frustrating that they havent done as well as we thought theyd do on the trail or in the portal for that matter.
Heupel has never been an elite recruiter. That was one of the louder gripes when he was hired. He’s honestly done better than I expected, but we won’t win anything meaningful as it stands

Heupel has never been an elite recruiter. That was one of the louder gripes when he was hired. He’s honestly done better than I expected, but we won’t win anything meaningful as it stands
Offensive skill players he is an elite recruiter I'd say. That's about it though.

I think it's entirely fair to question some of the misses this staff has had, but I think this particular recruitment comes down to the uncertainty around Willie Martinez being on the staff next season.

AP has emphasized Cai's relationship with Martinez multiple times, and Matt Ray said the main reason he decommitted from LSU was due to the noise of defensive staff changes coming in the off-season. This whole thing flipped FSU's way last weekend when the chatter of firing Martinez circulated after the Mizzou loss.

Right. That’s why we have the best class of DB commits that we’ve had in the last 20 years in the 2024 class. 🙄

Writing was on the wall when he decommitted from LSU after his visit to FSU. Then we offered the nobody from Vandy.

Even AP said it, 'if he makes it here theres a chance.' Tells me all I need to know.

Staff has struggled on the trail at key positions, and relative to results.
He literally wrote that he was here 2 weeks ago.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
We’re 6th in average rating and most teams ranked ahead of us have more commits
We’re ahead of lsu who has 25 commits to our 19
We get a couple of the guys out there and our ranking shoot up
You guys need to get off the doom and gloom bus
We’re fighting 15 years of bad history and most these guys have never seen Tennessee be good in their lifetimes
Our classes under CJH have been getting better each year

Kid wants TN, he’s got a shady handler that’s making this muddy.

More of an old school recruiting deal than new age NIL deal and with our NCAA issues we have trouble right now playing in that world.

That’s all I can really say hope it makes sense.
Why do all the shady handlers always steer kids away from Tennessee? Can we get a couple of shady handlers on our side?

I think it's entirely fair to question some of the misses this staff has had, but I think this particular recruitment comes down to the uncertainty around Willie Martinez being on the staff next season.

AP has emphasized Cai's relationship with Martinez multiple times, and Matt Ray said the main reason he decommitted from LSU was due to the noise of defensive staff changes coming in the off-season. This whole thing flipped FSU's way last weekend when the chatter of firing Martinez circulated after the Mizzou loss.
Here's the deal. That's a fire that Tennessee could easily put out if the chatter is false. Fans don't decide who gets hired and fired. If Heupel plans on keeping Willie, he could easily assure Bates of that. Hell, Tennessee could go ahead and get him an extension. So if that's not happening, IMO, that means Heupel is at least considering replacing Martinez, and doesn't want to lie to the kid. And if Heupel thinks that's necessary, then it might be worth losing a recruit like Bates to get better coaching. Or maybe, the chatter around CWM has nothing to do with it and the kid just likes FSU better.

Kid wants TN, he’s got a shady handler that’s making this muddy.

More of an old school recruiting deal than new age NIL deal and with our NCAA issues we have trouble right now playing in that world.

That’s all I can really say hope it makes sense.
So this has nothing to do with CWM at all then.

VN Store

Back