For those who regretted the Butch Jones hire.

Last edited:
Saban is a perfect example that winning is about the Jimmys and Joes not x's and o's

I'm pretty sure Saban's game plans in the last 2 BCS title games proves he knows a thing or 2 about x's & o's as well.

Right now, everything Butch says and does is working towards a goal. Whether it's talking about his staff (he wants the best staff in the country); the style of play; the athletes; or the wins, he wants the best, and he wants to be the best. I'm on board with that.

Now...let's see the product. I don't expect a certain number of wins this year. But I do expect to see a level of fight and intensity, for 4 quarters, from the Tennessee Volunteers, that has been conspicuously absent since at least 2005.

Do that, and the rest will fall into place.

Go Vols.

THIS^^^

I just want to see UT have some fire and intensity for 4 Q's and have a fight to the end attitude no matter the score. GreyWolf is right on that everything else will fall in place if we can achieve this.

This season is goin to be rough, but I do believe he has us headed in the right directions. His recruiting has been phenomenal.

Virtually nobody thought Saban going from Mich St to LSU, Tressel going from Youngstown St to OSU, Miles going from Okie St to LSU and Urban going from Utah to Fla would've had the success they've had.

Good lord, I get sick of reading this revisionist silliness on here all the time. When LSU hired Nick Saban, it was considered a huge get (at least nationally, I don't know what the local Knoxville press was saying, since I didn't live there at the time, but in the rest of the country, Saban was considered an excellent coach and recruiter. Here was a guy who took over a program that didn't win a game the previous year and he had them in the top 10 in 5 years, and regularly upset highly ranked rivals). The consensus amongst national sports pundits was that Saban would be really successful at LSU.

Opinions of how Urban Meyer would do at Florida were more mixed, but many recognized that he was a championship caliber coach. I knew plenty of Florida fans who were talking national championship the moment he was hired. It is ridiculous to say "virtually nobody thought" they would have great success and pretend it is the same as our recent hires.

Virtually nobody thought Saban going from Mich St to LSU, Tressel going from Youngstown St to OSU, Miles going from Okie St to LSU and Urban going from Utah to Fla would've had the success they've had.

when he arrived at UF Meyer was coming off back to back outright conference titles, had a conference record of 13-1, and an overall record of 22-2. Jones had a 3 way and a 4 way tie for the title in a conference that has, what, 8 teams and his conference record was 12-9 with an overall record of 23-14.

imo predicting Meyer success was a lot more certain than predicting Jones success.

I'd be willing to wager that Butch's offense bares very little resemblance to Urban Meyer's. Spread only means formation for him, not some type of read option happy, QB Keeper 15-20 times a game type O. I think we'll see an up tempo, spread formations, Prostyle, run heavy offense. Bet QB doesn't keep the ball on designed run plays more than 4-5 times per game. Just repeating what I've heard Butch consistently say.

The QB option is something for the opposing D to consider instead of licking their lips in anticipation of their coverage giving them 4-5 seconds for a statue special. Cincy' s immobile Slinger kept them honest at the end of last year...It's good for our offense imo:yes:

Posts that begins with, "For those who..." always bring out the worst in Vol Nation, because they combine both the self-righteousness of an implied, "I told you so", with the arrogance of presumed foreknowledge of things to come.

Reactions: 2 people
Supporting him to do the job is one thing, him actually doing it is another. The fans will get behind him if he's winning by year 3, until then he's got to continue to recruit well, mend the fanbase, and instill some pride back into the team and city it resides in.

Once those are met, the sky is the limit, if he's the man for the job.

Posts that begins with, "For those who..." always bring out the worst in Vol Nation, because they combine both the self-righteousness of an implied, "I told you so", with the arrogance of presumed foreknowledge of things to come.

You get a like for that one ....KNOWLEDGE IS POWER:thumbsup:

Reactions: 1 person
Supporting him to do the job is one thing, him actually doing it is another. The fans will get behind him if he's winning by year 3, until then he's got to continue to recruit well, mend the fanbase, and instill some pride back into the team and city it resides in.

Once those are met, the sky is the limit, if he's the man for the job.

"Mend the fanbase?" Fair weather fans can eat my lumpy shorts. I can understand not supporting a coach, but fans need to support our team through thick and thin. :salute:

I would've liked him more if he could have kept Pittman and Graham. Still upset about those losses.

zooks last 3 years average rivals team ranking was #11, dooley #13

Zook's last two years at UF yielded the #2 and #3 classes in the SEC respectively. Dooley never even sniffed a class that highly rated with regards to his competition. It's also worth noting that after a lackluster first class, Zook improved greatly in the following years. Dooley on the other hand was constantly on a downward trajectory.

"Mend the fanbase?" Fair weather fans can eat my lumpy shorts. I can understand not supporting a coach, but fans need to support our team through thick and thin. :salute:

Lumpy shorts? Hmmm, not toilet trained yet, eh? :)

I do not expect much improvement in the win column this year and maybe not next (due to offensive and defensive line attrition). I do expect that we will see our team fight with all they have till the game is over. This is a big improvement over the last three years. It will eventually show up in the win column just don't expect an instant miracle.

Yeah they are going to fight like yell for the team,themselves,coaches,and us the fans....We need to Fight hard for them,da**it. part of what alabubba so successfull NOW,is fanwide confidence that they will win every game.I am going to Expect us to win EVERY SINGLE GAME,this year...AND a MIRACLE......and be proud in our Wins and proud of our losses.....we are going to win till its a loss

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back