Former Vols Sue NCAA

Looks like they are looking for the NCAA to fund a medical monitoring program for former players.

So the intent is not all bad, they don't look to be suing for money to themselves.

Reactions: 1 person
I've known Chris walker since I was 5 years old. Played sys with him and went to elementary and middle school with him. Guy is a stand up as it gets and if he has a legitimate reason to do this, then I will back him 100%.

It's easier for the mouth-breathers on the board to spout off about accountability and football becoming soft.

Football isn't becoming soft, it simply has to adapt to survive. Too many former players can't walk, talk, etc.

Looks like they are looking for the NCAA to fund a medical monitoring program for former players.

So the intent is not all bad, they don't look to be suing for money to themselves.

I'm glad somebody else noticed that.

It does not appear that they're looking to get rich, but I guess that's not nearly as fun to discuss.

It does not appear that they're looking to get rich, but I guess that's not nearly as fun to discuss.

Why shouldn't there be systems in place to protect players from long term injuries?

This whole football is becoming soft stuff is just a bunch of garbage.

This won't be the end of college football, just a step closer to ending the NCAA. At least for the large conferences. This is a step closer IMO to the breaking off and being a mini NFL with a player stipend. They will then have seminars on risks of head injuries along with educational "what you need to do" talks, etc. one the players have signed off they understand the risks and bingo, colleges will keep making boat loads of cash off of football.

There wasn't very much violent physical contact last year, that's for sure. Can fans sue Justin Hunter and Tyler Bray for consistently avoiding contact?

or at least apply for a refund?

Reactions: 2 people

That's why my first post included Pro players. They just received 3/4 of a billion dollars for not knowing that the sport of football can have long term effects.

Enjoy football while we still have it. Bitter ex players who knew full well the physical consequences of playing D1 football, and now feel like the world owes them something are destroying the game - both pro and college - and these x players just don't care as long as they get paid somehow. Political correctness and our propensity as a modern day society to protect people from themselves will be the ultimate undoing of this great sport. Whatever happened to individual responsibility? Sad, really sad.

Damn, fade. /thread

Well said, and so full of truth.

And I'm sure the attorneys representing Martin and Walker will donate their earnings from the settlement directly to the fund, right? No?

That's why my first post included Pro players. They just received 3/4 of a billion dollars for not knowing that the sport of football can have long term effects.

Yeah, I read that about the NFL.

I think it would be a good idea for the NCAA to donate, say 1 million a year, to a fund designed to help former players with some medical treatments. There are lots of kids out there who sacrifice their health for the game, that game makes the NCAA a ton of money. Most of the players never see the NFL and then go on about their lives. If they don't have the means to pay for a treatment that was caused by playing football, a little help should be provided.

I'm guessing most players know there are risks involved, but they might not know of the long term affects. Most of that is actually just now being realized.

While I agree, there still has to be some balance of top and bottom. Tennessee is the largest automobile manufacturing state in the country and an industry that I work in. I can tell you this, during the last recession we laid off 25% of our work force but kept executive perks (i.e. high-end company cars). When push comes to shove, don't think you're to good to get s*** on either.

Then become an executive. :p

Fade route, there's your corollary and, at the same time, catalyst: class-action lawsuits fueled by the corporate greed of law firms. On the other hand, there is not a player in the game, college or pro, who is so brain dead that they don't realize that this is a violent game. Yes, it is absolutely incumbent that every reasonable measure should be taken to ensure their safety but the feigned ignorance of the risks is patently absurd.

Enjoy football while we still have it. Bitter ex players who knew full well the physical consequences of playing D1 football, and now feel like the world owes them something are destroying the game - both pro and college - and these x players just don't care as long as they get paid somehow. Political correctness and our propensity as a modern day society to protect people from themselves will be the ultimate undoing of this great sport. Whatever happened to individual responsibility? Sad, really sad.

Ok, let's not support our police officers who get shot/paralyzed in the line of duty, or our military, etc. They know the physical consequences of what they do.

Why shouldn't there be systems in place to protect players from long term injuries?

This whole football is becoming soft stuff is just a bunch of garbage.

Only problem is that the vast majority of institutions are losing their collective rears on Athletics. Who and how are you going to pay for this new protection? When California becomes the next Detroit then maybe you will realize that everyone can't necessarily have all their "wants" and "needs" taken care of by the government. People have a tendency to keep finding other wants and needs for the government to "help" them with.

Title 9 was a good idea that tried to "help" -- but it came at a cost to many sports and athletes and certainly impacted the financial viability of athletic departments everywhere.

this is quite possibly the best post that I've read on volnation....well done sir! :hi:

Yeah, I read that about the NFL.

I think it would be a good idea for the NCAA to donate, say 1 million a year, to a fund designed to help former players with some medical treatments. There are lots of kids out there who sacrifice their health for the game, that game makes the NCAA a ton of money. Most of the players never see the NFL and then go on about their lives. If they don't have the means to pay for a treatment that was caused by playing football, a little help should be provided.

I'm guessing most players know there are risks involved, but they might not know of the long term affects. Most of that is actually just now being realized.

I completely disagree. That would result in the NFL essentially admitting they are at least partially responsible for the long term physical effects of football. They are not responsible for that - they simply set up the system and the players voluntarily participate in the system. If anything, the players union should be the one's setting up a fund like this, not the NFL.

I am not sure that we agree on many things, but I agree 100% with this. Common sense doesn't rule the day anymore.

Ok, let's not support our police officers who get shot/paralyzed in the line of duty, or our military, etc. They know the physical consequences of what they do.

Terrible comparison. Equating our officers and military who give their lives for our protection to athletes who compete for our entertainment......no, not a good comparison at all.

Of course precautions should be taken to protect the players-- and they are-- but football is still a contact sport. Don't want the risk, don't play. Wonder how long before we see a Pee Wee lawsuit because some kid got tackled by a bigger kid?[/QUOTE]

jstokesbrother.png

The day after this...

Really? Police and military put their bodies on the line to protect us. They are a necessity- someone has to do the job.

Football players provide entertainment- it is not a necessity. They don't have to play football. That is apples and oranges, my friend.

Couldn't disagree more. These kids are 17 years old when they sign up. They are treated like royalty during the recruiting process, and sold dreams of the good life in the NFL. Anyone would sign up for that without taking one second to look at the possibility of future consequences. No one talks to these kids about not making it. No one talks about blowing out a knee. No one mentions concussions. It's all about pride in yourself and your team. Living that dream. Being rich and famous. Having a degree and connections. You cannot expect a 17 yo to evaluate the risk/reward of destroying his body. Not to mention the fact that many of these coaches promise kids and parents that they will take good care of them. Then they push them to the point of damage. Look at the a$$hat at Vandy, and what he potentially did last week. A kid is puking his guts up on the field and the coaches send him back out 2 plays later. Sure, it was probably just a shot to the stomach that caused it, but what if it WAS the head slamming down. There is no way you can properly evaluate a kid for a concussion in 45 seconds. Never mind the fact that they NEEDED him in the game. " I'm sure he's ok". Those coaches had an obligation to the kid and family. Now in 10 years if he ends up with concussion side effects are we gonna say "He's just looking for a handout". These kids are used and abused for our enjoyment. Sure, they get a degree, if they even finish. But that's not even saying a lot these days. At least have the decency to allow them their right of litigation if they feel they were wronged.

VN Store

Back