Former Vols Sue NCAA

I'm glad somebody else noticed that.

It does not appear that they're looking to get rich, but I guess that's not nearly as fun to discuss.

Yes, they are looking to get paid. They get two bites at the apple. They try to make it in the NFL, and then if not, they sue for the toll that it took on them.

The irony of all this is that some of these kids wouldn't have received an education or the opportunities without the game of football, the very thing that they are hurting. Chris Walker is a smart guy and could make it anywhere, but this type of stuff just makes me a little upset (and I am a lawyer).

Just have them sign a statement saying they watched the 1st season of Friday Night Lights and still want to play.

Couldn't disagree more. These kids are 17 years old when they sign up. They are treated like royalty during the recruiting process, and sold dreams of the good life in the NFL. Anyone would sign up for that without taking one second to look at the possibility of future consequences. No one talks to these kids about not making it. No one talks about blowing out a knee. No one mentions concussions. It's all about pride in yourself and your team. Living that dream. Being rich and famous. Having a degree and connections. You cannot expect a 17 yo to evaluate the risk/reward of destroying his body. Not to mention the fact that many of these coaches promise kids and parents that they will take good care of them. Then they push them to the point of damage. Look at the a$$hat at Vandy, and what he potentially did last week. A kid is puking his guts up on the field and the coaches send him back out 2 plays later. Sure, it was probably just a shot to the stomach that caused it, but what if it WAS the head slamming down. There is no way you can properly evaluate a kid for a concussion in 45 seconds. Never mind the fact that they NEEDED him in the game. " I'm sure he's ok". Those coaches had an obligation to the kid and family. Now in 10 years if he ends up with concussion side effects are we gonna say "He's just looking for a handout". These kids are used and abused for our enjoyment. Sure, they get a degree, if they even finish. But that's not even saying a lot these days. At least have the decency to allow them their right of litigation if they feel they were wronged.

You just found a really articulate and eloquent way to say that football players today have no idea that football is a dangerous sport that may have long term consequences. I don't buy it for a second, and lets hope the judge in this case and many more don't either.

Yes, they are looking to get paid. They get two bites at the apple. They try to make it in the NFL, and then if not, they sue for the toll that it took on them.

The irony of all this is that some of these kids wouldn't have received an education or the opportunities without the game of football, the very thing that they are hurting. Chris Walker is a smart guy and could make it anywhere, but this type of stuff just makes me a little upset (and I am a lawyer).

Did I miss something?

I didn't see that they were seeking damages for their own injuries, but they were looking to get a medical monitoring program set up.

Perhaps I'm wrong.

Couldn't disagree more. These kids are 17 years old when they sign up. They are treated like royalty during the recruiting process, and sold dreams of the good life in the NFL. Anyone would sign up for that without taking one second to look at the possibility of future consequences. No one talks to these kids about not making it. No one talks about blowing out a knee. No one mentions concussions. It's all about pride in yourself and your team. Living that dream. Being rich and famous. Having a degree and connections. You cannot expect a 17 yo to evaluate the risk/reward of destroying his body. Not to mention the fact that many of these coaches promise kids and parents that they will take good care of them. Then they push them to the point of damage. Look at the a$$hat at Vandy, and what he potentially did last week. A kid is puking his guts up on the field and the coaches send him back out 2 plays later. Sure, it was probably just a shot to the stomach that caused it, but what if it WAS the head slamming down. There is no way you can properly evaluate a kid for a concussion in 45 seconds. Never mind the fact that they NEEDED him in the game. " I'm sure he's ok". Those coaches had an obligation to the kid and family. Now in 10 years if he ends up with concussion side effects are we gonna say "He's just looking for a handout". These kids are used and abused for our enjoyment. Sure, they get a degree, if they even finish. But that's not even saying a lot these days. At least have the decency to allow them their right of litigation if they feel they were wronged.

Then you may see the beginning of the end. I am not sure the system can handle litigation from every former player who couldn't make it big.

I am sorry, but you are selling short our 18 year old kids. If they are really that gullible, then we have a problem. If I was talented enough, then I would probably give up 4 years of my life to try to make it big but understand that I needed something else to fall back on. Football allows these kids an unbelievable opportunity to do well for themselves and their families. JMO.

Only problem is that the vast majority of institutions are losing their collective rears on Athletics. Who and how are you going to pay for this new protection? When California becomes the next Detroit then maybe you will realize that everyone can't necessarily have all their "wants" and "needs" taken care of by the government. People have a tendency to keep finding other wants and needs for the government to "help" them with.

Title 9 was a good idea that tried to "help" -- but it came at a cost to many sports and athletes and certainly impacted the financial viability of athletic departments everywhere.

What does Detroit and CA have to do with taking care of debilitated athletes that we cheered on?

What does government have to do with that?

Not sure what you are implying.

I completely disagree. That would result in the NFL essentially admitting they are at least partially responsible for the long term physical effects of football. They are not responsible for that - they simply set up the system and the players voluntarily participate in the system. If anything, the players union should be the one's setting up a fund like this, not the NFL.

I didn't say the NFL. The NFL is a different animal, in the NFL you are being paid for a job and you should assume all risks of the job.

I was commenting about the NCAA, which is what the article is about. The players can take out an insurance policy, but that only covers them while they play in college. Not sure on the percentages, but I'm guessing over 95 pct of NCAA players never make it to the NFL. The NCAA makes a lot of money on these kids, makes sense to me that a percentage or a flat base amount be set aside to help them with football related injuries.

There would have to be limitations and stipulations, but something should be available. Which is what this lawsuit is about.

You just found a really articulate and eloquent way to say that football players today have no idea that football is a dangerous sport that may have long term consequences. I don't buy it for a second, and lets hope the judge in this case and many more don't either.

And you are oversimplifying. Everybody knows it's dangerous, but the extent to which it is dangerous wasn't known until more recently with the studies of deceased players brains.

The NFL was also apparently guilty of hiding a lot of what they knew and during Tagliabue they said there was no connection to concussions and long-term health problems.

I'm not talking about pro athletes, just these college kids. My point is that they are not properly prepared to make that decision at 17 years old, especially considering the atmosphere surrounding that decision. Besides, most of these cases involve players arguing that they were not properly informed of the risks they were undergoing. If the doctors tell you, "shake it off kid, you'll be fine". Chances are you go back out and play. If you in fact are NOT ok, then that is malpractice by the doctor. Should medical patients also not get the right to sue for malpractice?

Did I miss something?

I didn't see that they were seeking damages for their own injuries, but they were looking to get a medical monitoring program set up.

Perhaps I'm wrong.

Well, to be fair, I didn't read the entire article. But, after review, it merely says what the lawsuit generally seeks. Unless I read the actual suit, these reports can sometimes be rather general.

But, as part of a "fund," they are basically seeking payment for their injuries while playing football. I am a sympathetic person, but it is still something that we all know about.

Well, to be fair, I didn't read the entire article. But, after review, it merely says what the lawsuit generally seeks. Unless I read the actual suit, these reports can sometimes be rather general.

But, as part of a "fund," they are basically seeking payment for their injuries while playing football. I am a sympathetic person, but it is still something that we all know about.

Fair enough.

So they playing football is a bad business decision as the negatives outweigh the positives.

Very few actually make it to the pro's and earn millions. More end up with bad knees, backs, multiple concussions and depression that severely limits their lifestyles.

So at the end of the day nobody should want to play football as it's a bad investment in your future.

What about players who become paralyzed? Don't see a lot of complaining about them getting assistance. They are lauded as heroes.

There is a reason a lot of pro's don't want their kids to play as they know the toll it takes on your body.

Terrible comparison. Equating our officers and military who give their lives for our protection to athletes who compete for our entertainment......no, not a good comparison at all.

Ok, fine. Coal miners. They don't have to do that, but they are taken care of when a shaft collapses. Or factory workers. A guy putting together a car and it falls on him. He's taken care of.

I didn't say the NFL. The NFL is a different animal, in the NFL you are being paid for a job and you should assume all risks of the job.

I was commenting about the NCAA, which is what the article is about. The players can take out an insurance policy, but that only covers them while they play in college. Not sure on the percentages, but I'm guessing over 95 pct of NCAA players never make it to the NFL. The NCAA makes a lot of money on these kids, makes sense to me that a percentage or a flat base amount be set aside to help them with football related injuries.

There would have to be limitations and stipulations, but something should be available. Which is what this lawsuit is about.

My bad - misread your post....:hi:

So they playing football is a bad business decision as the negatives outweigh the positives.

Very few actually make it to the pro's and earn millions. More end up with bad knees, backs, multiple concussions and depression that severely limits their lifestyles.

So at the end of the day nobody should want to play football as it's a bad investment in your future.

What about players who become paralyzed? Don't see a lot of complaining about them getting assistance. They are lauded as heroes.

There is a reason a lot of pro's don't want their kids to play as they know the toll it takes on your body.

Your last sentence says it all. Commom sense says that people hitting each other is not good for the body, and we all know that.

Football players aren't the only ones with problems later on in life- boxers (Ali); basketball players (knees); hockey players; track athletes, etc. All sports at a high level or for an extended period of time take a toll on the body. Other jobs take a toll as well. But, these are things that people do to support themselves and their families. They understand the risks but know that they will do well if they hit it big. Maybe the sport goes away if people realize that it is too risky, but I think there are plenty of young people out there who will risk it for the chance at big money.

My bad - misread your post....:hi:

No problem. I agree on the NFL, I even agree one should not sue for monetary gain in these situations.

I just see the need for some sort of healthcare program to help some.

A mandatory seminar on risks and safety should be implemented by the NCAA, each school should be responsible for delivering this when an athlete arrives on campus. They may do this now, I don't know. Then a healthcare program for those who don't go to the NFL should be available, but with limitations of course, as I would imagine there is some high cost for that.

Your last sentence says it all. Commom sense says that people hitting each other is not good for the body, and we all know that.

Football players aren't the only ones with problems later on in life- boxers (Ali); basketball players (knees); hockey players; track athletes, etc. All sports at a high level or for an extended period of time take a toll on the body. Other jobs take a toll as well. But, these are things that people do to support themselves and their families. They understand the risks but know that they will do well if they hit it big. Maybe the sport goes away if people realize that it is too risky, but I think there are plenty of young people out there who will risk it for the chance at big money.

And that's what I think the lawsuit is really trying to do. I don't believe they are trying to get rich quick, but rather make it safer for the future. My second part time job even offers workman's comp, no reason the NFL or NCAA cannot offer something like that.

Why shouldn't there be systems in place to protect players from long term injuries?

This whole football is becoming soft stuff is just a bunch of garbage.

It's not a bunch of garbage--and the way the rules are changing and the lawyers are getting paid--we WILL BE LUCKY to have the game around in 15 years.

The nature of the game forever will be tied to the VIOLENT COLLISIONS on the field! As one poster already said above--driving an automobile may result in a violent collision, too--and manufacturers have done everything under the law to make their vehicles safer, but they stilll can't guarantee that I won't get killed on the way to the store tonight in a violent collision. Their is a certain level of risk to driving an automobile--and it is not a human right--it is a privilege granted by the state. Same for those players who play FB on the highest level. The equipment is much better now than it ever has been--but players still get injured.

I do care about the players--but they do have a greater ability and advantage in the marketplace to make $$$ after their years of playing FB at the D-1 level.

I also care about the 31 year old guy you mentioned who had to have his arm amputated--BUT I guarantee you somewhere and sometime when he was still playing some orthopedic doctor warned him of the potential dangers involved if he kept playing a sport where no amount of equipment or padding--or stricter rules--could prevent him from shoulder injuries!

Why? The nature of the game is the VIOLENT COLLISION--that's why they lift all of them weights and run all of those drills--to win the collision.

It was HIS choice to keep playing. (I do think the University he played for should be liable to cover all of his medical bills for the injuries he suffered--both while playing and for all subsequent complications that happened because of his football injury).

Now--I've said my 2 cents--but one final thing--

If you REALLY want to see something that will make you SAD AND MAD--just investigate the level of healthcare our MILITARY VETERANS have in the VA medical system!

Go Vols! :salute:

Last edited:

yep--and those same pro players could have made a choice to quit playing and pursue another career.....:whistling:

I see you care more about entertainment than the actual long term health of the players you root for.

Usually people who talk about football becoming soft never actually played at a high level.

My brothers best friend, a former top recruit at a top 3 program, had to have his arm amputated at 31 due to compounded shoulder injuries and surgeries.

I agree people sue too often, but half these kids are being used and then kicked to the curb. It's why they should be compensated more than a free education. It's a dangerous game and people are lining their pockets off of their performances.

what would the proper amount of money be that would have been worth losing his arm?

either the people who participate accept that the activity is dangerous and participate anyway

or

you end the activity.

i'm tired of hearing how these people are being used. no one is being forced to do a damn thing.

it's why i agree totally with fade's post. people act as if the participants had no choice in the matter.

what would the proper amount of money be that would have been worth losing his arm?

either the people who participate accept that the activity is dangerous and participate anyway

or

you end the activity.

i'm tired of hearing how these people are being used. no one is being forced to do a damn thing.

it's why i agree totally with fade's post. people act as if the participants had no choice in the matter.

The problem is that a lot of the time they are being Ill informed of the consequences. Coaches don't want to accept a "I just had a concussion, I wanna take a month off" approach. They respond with "don't be a pu$$y, you only got your bell rung, no big deal". In a lot of these cases, guys didn't know what was happening to them. Its like the folks that worked at Oak Ridge in the 30s and 40s. They had no idea they were being exposed to dangerous chemicals and radiation that would kill them. Had they known, they may have made other choices. The legal system is designed to give protection in exactly this type of situation. Don't bash them for seeking their day in court.

Ok, let's not support our police officers who get shot/paralyzed in the line of duty, or our military, etc. They know the physical consequences of what they do.

You are going off the wall. It is their job not a full paid scholarship to play ball.

How many times you guys think fade has logged on to count how many likes he has received from that post?

VN Store

Back