Fulmer speaks out

People forget all the presidents we had for a while. Many of which robbed us blind both in terms of academia and in terms of athletics. Anyone remember the carpet and grill sale?

Fulmer took us to great heights and then did a burn and took us to less than poor. Great job, Bad job.....Had a lot of help going both ways.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not even going to get into a debate with a man that can't spell the word perennial correctly... quit trying to defend Fulmer's complacency in recruiting and conservative coaching mindset in the latter part of his tenure. Yes, he took our program to another level while he was here and is a true Volunteer, and for that I thank him. No one on here is going to give you a sympathy like for taking up for him. Times are bright on the hill and Butch is the man. GO VOLS!!

Auto-correct on my iPhone did that. I do agree with you that Butch is the man. I didn't like the Kiffin hire. I didn't like the Dooley hire, but I did not bash him. I do like Butch Jones!!! Go Vols!

You would be correct... heck, Hamilton is the man that gave Fulmer the raise/extension in the summer of 2008 that pretty much ended both of their careers in Knoxville. So Hamilton was loyal to Fulmer until the bitter end.

As he should have been! Fulmer was a great coach & man to the best of my knowledge.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not even going to get into a debate with a man that can't spell the word perennial correctly... quit trying to defend Fulmer's complacency in recruiting and conservative coaching mindset in the latter part of his tenure. Yes, he took our program to another level while he was here and is a true Volunteer, and for that I thank him. No one on here is going to give you a sympathy like for taking up for him. Times are bright on the hill and Butch is the man. GO VOLS!!

I agree with it all except that he brought it to another level

I doubt we will ever see the level that Neyland brought it too

How long until a "Dooley Speaks" thread??

Seems everyone is speaking about something these days....

Fulmer is still not capable of accepting that he was part of the reason for the collapse

Until his dying days he will take no responsibility for the program going to hell. The administration didn't cause his downfall, he got lazy and sat on his you know what. He won't take another coaching job because it's common knowledge no one wants him, and the lower level schools that would take a chance on him are not good enough for him--his ego won't let him do it.

Reactions: 4 people
There's an old saying that you should be careful what you wish for, because you might just get it. I don't know if CPF would have us competing for national titles again by now, and my gut says he probably wouldn't. But he didn't deserve what he got, and if he'd stuck around a couple of more years we wouldn't be in the crapper we're in.

Reactions: 3 people

A lot of posters on here either have a short memory or no memory at all of his later years where he would try to get a 3-pt lead and run the clock out; that costs us a lot of wins. He got too conservative. He should have been fired at least 3 yrs before they fired him but gave him plenty of chances to turn the program around. Instead, he thought he was untouchable and continued to feed his face and neglect the program. Give credit when due but let's not forget that had Clint Stoerner (Ark) not have fumbled in the last minutes of the game UT would not have even been playing for the NC. Yeah, breaks go either way but Spurrier had Fulmer's number, and I'm no Spurrier fan for sure.

Reactions: 3 people
When the checks stop coming in... and you have been paid in full. Trash your former employer.. Go advice from legal team

Actually, 3 or 4 did :p. Some of us here are more appreciative and respectful of others' efforts, especially when we realize the we ourselves could not have done better.

When the checks stop coming in... and you have been paid in full. Trash your former employer.. Go advice from legal team

My final comment on this subject is that Fulmer has, and still does, blames everyone he can but himself for the program going down the tubes and accepts no responsibility for the program's collapse. For that, I cannot forgive the man. Is that what we want to teach our young people, accept no responsibility and blame others for one's shortcomings?

Impatient fans were the reason for the collapse

You use arguments like:

"He couldnt do it anymore/had program headed in a decline."

07 seemed like a pretty good year to me

"He couldnt recruit anymore."

He had the #6 ranked recruiting class when fired and considering I was a sophmore in HS I can say I wouldve played for him in a heartbeat.

Reactions: 2 people
My final comment on this subject is that Fulmer has, and still does, blames everyone he can but himself for the program going down the tubes and accepts no responsibility for the program's collapse. For that, I cannot forgive the man. Is that what we want to teach our young people, accept no responsibility and blame others for one's shortcomings?

Agreed.. That is also becoming even more widespread in our society..

Fulmer doesn't need anyone to defend him, he's in the CFB Hall of Fame. He has one of the best lifetime records in the SEC. He is a Vol, and his teams gave us bragging rights for many many wonderful years. Hopefully, Butch can get us back on top of the SEC, and playing for championships. Maybe next time we won't take those kinds of big games for granted win or lose!

If you haven't seen Fulmer bashed on this board, you are one of two things:

1. You are new to this board.

2. You are not a reader.

Do I need to bump the Fulmer tread? :(

I really don't want to

Fulmer is still not capable of accepting that he was part of the reason for the collapse

Correct. The Admin was not the reason his players were undisciplined on and off the field. They are not the reason he tolerated Randy Sanders' incompetence as long as he did.

Fulmer did some great things at UT but he also did some bad things... and seems to lack the ability to take responsibility. Excuse making for himself and his team was always a problem

You use arguments like:

He had the #6 ranked recruiting class when fired and considering I was a sophmore in HS I can say I wouldve played for him in a heartbeat.
2007 was a solid year, but what about 2008? And with the exception of Tajh Boyd and DJ Swearinger, his 2009 class would have been a disaster.

You use arguments like:

Really? Blown out by the 3 good teams on the schedule then back into the CG because UGA and UF had tougher conference schedules. Then Cut left and the wheels fell off again.

I appreciate what Fulmer accomplished but the program was headed in the wrong direction. The worst part though is he showed no willingness to take responsibility or admit that HE needed to change what he was doing.

You bleed orange. Of course you wanted to play for UT... but UT can't win much in the SEC if they only sign kids that grow up bleeding orange.

What on earth are you talking about? If you are talking about 2009 then let's look at the players either committed to Fulmer or interested when he was fired. Ten of the 13 never made any kind of significant contribution to the team. Eight of those 10 didn't even complete their eligibility at UT. As I recall, Kiffin told at least 3 of Fulmer's commits to look elsewhere. Phillips a lineman from the Memphis area signed with FSU and quit before the first game. Thigpen from the DC area signed with UCLA and pretty much disappeared. Boyd has had a very nice career at Clemson but was not right for Kiffin's system.

Fulmer's 2008 class was 35th according to Rivals with only four 4* players: Douglas, Abrams-Ward, Gerald Williams, and M Walls. I like Walls and Williams but none of these lived up to a 4* rating. Remember, this is how Fulmer followed up his run to the CG... when he should have been able to draw in some good players. Unfortunately for him, they saw him completely outcoached by Saban and Meyer.

His 2007 class was highly rated and near a complete bust.

I think we SHOULD honor Fulmer's accomplishments but you can do that without living in denial of the clear evidence that the program declined under him following 2002.

I'm going to say the harshest thing I've ever said on this board.

Everyone bashing Fulmer in this thread is either legally braindead or simply an idiot. Have you been asleep the last five years?????? Did you just get off-set of the last Cheech and Chong movie????

Fulmer was coaching during the most difficult era in SEC history and we still made the SEC Championship game every three years, where, god forbid, we lost the National Champion elect. And these were the so-called bad years.

SMDH.

The past five years have clearly demonstrated Fulmer wasn't the problem. The article is plain-azz truth.

Reactions: 5 people
A lot of posters on here either have a short memory or no memory at all of his later years where he would try to get a 3-pt lead and run the clock out; that costs us a lot of wins. He got too conservative. He should have been fired at least 3 yrs before they fired him but gave him plenty of chances to turn the program around. Instead, he thought he was untouchable and continued to feed his face and neglect the program. Give credit when due but let's not forget that had Clint Stoerner (Ark) not have fumbled in the last minutes of the game UT would not have even been playing for the NC. Yeah, breaks go either way but Spurrier had Fulmer's number, and I'm no Spurrier fan for sure.

Along with Nebraska, Penn State, Kansas State, Maryland, Clemson, etc.

To me the 2 most telling stats for Fulmer are 1.) His record against ranked opponents (17-26) and 2.) His bowl record (8-7).

That tells me 1 of 2 things. Either those teams were not as talented as we all thought they were (not likely) or those teams greatly underachieved despite that talent.

Last edited:
Along with Nebraska, Penn State, Kansas State, Maryland, Clemson, etc.

To me the 2 most telling stats for Fulmer are 1.) His record against ranked opponents (17-26) and 2.) His bowl record (8-7).

That tells me 1 of 2 things. Either those teams were not as talented as we all thought they were (not likely) or those teams greatly underachieved despite that talent.

I haven't seen those two stats before. Thanks for sharing. They are very telling of how we achieved much less than we could have or should have during his tenure. Kind of like the Braves winning 14 straight division titles and only winning 1 World Series. Nobody looks at the bowl wins or the moral victories, they just look at the crystal ball.

VN Store

Back