Fulmer speaks out

Along with Nebraska, Penn State, Kansas State, Maryland, Clemson, etc.

To me the 2 most telling stats for Fulmer are 1.) His record against ranked opponents (17-26) and 2.) His bowl record (8-7).

That tells me 1 of 2 things. Either those teams were not as talented as we all thought they were (not likely) or those teams greatly underachieved despite that talent.

So, on bowl records since you use it against Fulmer, Neyland was a failure with his 2-5 record, right?

There is a lot of truth in this article, however I do still believe Fulmer is at least in a little bit of denial. It wasn't completely his fault, but to think he played no part in the downfall is ridiculous. Nevertheless, I still like the guy a lot and so much appreciate all the things he accomplished at UT.

I did find the part where he said that he hadn't been out "chasing a job" because of his grandkids pretty funny though. I definitely remember him trying to throw his name in the hat for several positions a couple years ago lol. That quote made me think of The Hangover when Alan says "that's why I've managed to stay single all this time" hahaha...."oh really, thats why?" He is obviously somewhat still in denial. But can't hate the guy, just thought it was pretty funny.

Fulmer doesn't need anyone to defend him, he's in the CFB Hall of Fame. He has one of the best lifetime records in the SEC. He is a Vol, and his teams gave us bragging rights for many many wonderful years. Hopefully, Butch can get us back on top of the SEC, and playing for championships. Maybe next time we won't take those kinds of big games for granted win or lose!

If you haven't seen Fulmer bashed on this board, you are one of two things:

1. You are new to this board.

2. You are not a reader.
I am pretty new to the board and am looking forward to having a lot of conversations about my beloved Vols.

Last edited:
LOL at al of you who act like your life is somehow incomplete because Fulmer won't say he is responsible for the current state of the program.

I'm going to say the harshest thing I've ever said on this board.

Everyone bashing Fulmer in this thread is either legally braindead or simply an idiot. Have you been asleep the last five years?????? Did you just get off-set of the last Cheech and Chong movie????

Fulmer was coaching during the most difficult era in SEC history and we still made the SEC Championship game every three years, where, god forbid, we lost the National Champion elect. And these were the so-called bad years.

SMDH.

The past five years have clearly demonstrated Fulmer wasn't the problem. The article is plain-azz truth.

You are crazy - The most difficult era of SEC Football is now!!!!

Everyone bashing Fulmer in this thread is either legally braindead or simply an idiot. Have you been asleep the last five years?????? Did you just get off-set of the last Cheech and Chong movie????

Fulmer was coaching during the most difficult era in SEC history and we still made the SEC Championship game every three years, where, god forbid, we lost the National Champion elect. And these were the so-called bad years.

SMDH.

The past five years have clearly demonstrated Fulmer wasn't the problem. The article is plain-azz truth.
Really, Alabama, Georgia, Lsu, South Carolina, Arkansas were all wandering through the "looking for a coach" wastelands just like we are now. When Richt, Saban, Miles and always Spurrier whether at Florida or Cocky Land came to their respective schools the won/loss record took a severe nosedive for the worst.

2007 was a solid year, but what about 2008? And with the exception of Tajh Boyd and DJ Swearinger, his 2009 class would have been a disaster.

Apparently rivals disagrees

And as far as 08 goes (and 05). They were bad years. But in my eyes 2 bad years dont override 14 years, especially when you play the eventual NC winner in the SECCG. It was a knee jerk reaction to pissed off fans and I can promise recruits felt the same way I did as a high schooler. UT football wouldnt be the same without. I dont see how anyone can sit here and definitively say it was the right move after the last 5 yrs.

Fulmer could go into any stadium and id have confidence we could win.
He could go to any recruits house and we would have a shot.

We still get really good players but are they Eric Berry, Jerod Mayo, Arian Foster?

Like i said, I really like our team, but Fulmer always had a much deeper team.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I know unequivocally that it was Hambones' fault we lost to Wyoming :loco:(for the CPF Kool Aid drinkers) :eek:lol:

I liked the article and I'm sure ...there is some merit in it...but for Phil and all his peeps not to say he didn't get complacent and lazy and walk around like he had arrived when he was still living in the moment is ...asinine

Just being able to say "your working like heck" and watching you clap won't buy ya a cup of coffee outside of Shields Watkins field...:clapping:

It's all about accountability.....and I personally don't think Phil gets it...:birgits_giggle:

Really, Alabama, Georgia, Lsu, South Carolina, Arkansas were all wandering through the "looking for a coach" wastelands just like we are now. When Richt, Saban, Miles and always Spurrier whether at Florida or Cocky Land came to their respective schools the won/loss record took a severe nosedive for the worst.

Fulmer was coaching against all these guys at their respective schools for many years.

And we were still in the SECCG every three years.

Fulmer was not the problem. These additional Hall of Fame coaches made our natural recruiting disadvantage more pronounced, but Fulmer was still able to get us to Atlanta.

We would have gone bowling in 2007 except for Hambone. It would have been, admittedly a mediocre year, but that bowl game and the subsequent "Butterfly Effect" would have been as big to the program relative to where we are now as if Ainge never gets hurt against Notre Dame.

SMDH.

All the past four years have proven is that Mike Hamilton should have hired Gary Patterson or Brian Kelly. He does that, this program would be rolling right now.

Reactions: 1 person
I know unequivocally that it was Hambones' fault we lost to Wyoming :loco:(for the CPF Kool Aid drinkers) :eek:lol:

I liked the article and I'm sure ...there is some merit in it...but for Phil and all his peeps not to say he didn't get complacent and lazy and walk around like he had arrived when he was still living in the moment is ...asinine

Just being able to say "your working like heck" and watching you clap won't buy ya a cup of coffee outside of Shields Watkins field...:clapping:

It's all about accountability.....and I personally don't think Phil gets it...:birgits_giggle:

didn't we lose to Wyoming five days after Fulmer was let go? But I'm sure that wouldn't have any effect on game prep. Just my :twocents:

Also, besides just looking at Fulmer's record at the end, we were soft, undisciplined, and un motivated. I will NEVER forget watching UT get whipped in 08 by South Carolina and seeing some of our players on the sideline laughing and horse playing. I knew right then and there that Fulmer had lost his team! They no longer cared.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Please tell me, who from that class would have made a difference? Jarvis Giles? Jonathan Hollins? Edwin Herbert? Jeron Stokes? Aubrey Phillips? Jerod Askew? Kevin Revis?

Idk who wouldve done what HERE. All I know is that its not even about that one class. He consistently put good players on the field Whether they were walk ons or not. 3 star or 5 star.

Btw Edited last post

All the past four years have proven is that Mike Hamilton should have hired Gary Patterson or Brian Kelly. He does that, this program would be rolling right now.

That's like saying, "I believe Mike Hamilton could pour piss out of a boot" with a straight face. Or Jimmy Cheek.

As an AD, Hambone could not. He hired Layla's Husband and Barbara's son which should tell you how far away we were from Brian Kelly and Gary Patterson.

Hambone was anathema to the program and his legacy is still felt on the Hill today.

Fulmer was coaching against all these guys at their respective schools for many years.

Fulmer was not the problem. These additional Hall of Fame coaches made our natural recruiting disadvantage more pronounced, but Fulmer was still able to get us to Atlanta.

We would have gone bowling in 2007 except for Hambone. It would have been, admittedly a mediocre year, but that bowl game and the subsequent "Butterfly Effect" would have been as big to the program relative to where we are now as if Ainge never gets hurt against Notre Dame.

Pretty sure I saw them play in
Tampa after that season..your years are cross threaded...

Last edited:
That's like saying, "I believe Mike Hamilton could pour piss out of a boot" with a straight face. Or Jimmy Cheek.

As an AD, Hambone could not. He hired Layla's Husband and Barbara's son which should tell you how far away we were from Brian Kelly and Gary Patterson.

Hambone was anathema to the program and his legacy is still felt on the Hill today.

Maybe Phil shouldn't have pushed so hard for him to get the job in 2002.

You keep referring to the fact that he got us to Atlanta every three years, which is correct, but was he ever planning on you know actually winning that game?

VN Store

Back