Fulmer speaks out

Bash the man who won a National Championship and played for numerous SECC's. I just don't get some of you. After what we've been through since he left you should begin to have some kind of clue of how hard it is to do what he accomplished. Some of you act like he burned down the university, but instead what he left was a legacy here at UT of being a perineal powerhouse. A storied and rich tradition of winning. He set the bar high. Get over yourselves, and your overinflated egos.

Blast away! I'm going to enjoy this :D

I haven't seen the first post suggesting anything like you're describing. No one is bashing him. Some of what he says is right, but he has no one to blame but himself for the pathetic showings in 2002, 2005 and 2008.

Was it the administration's fault that players got off the plane in Knoxville A WEEK BEFORE THE SECCG with roses in their hand in 2001?

Was it the administration's fault we got blown out AT HOME by Florida in 2002?

Was it the administration's fault we got blown out by Alabama AT HOME in 2002?

Was it the administration's fault we got blown out by Miami AT HOME in 2002?

Was it the administration's fault we got blown out by Maryland in the bowl game 2002?

Was it the administration's fault we got blown by Georgia AT HOME in 2003?

Was it the administration's fault we got blown out by UNRANKED Clemson in the bowl game 2003?

Was it the administration's fault we were preseason top 3 in 2005 and then proceeded to go 5-6?

I won't go any farther. Fulmer is embarrassing himself again, much like Majors does too often.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Impatient fans were the reason for the collapse

You use arguments like:

"He couldnt do it anymore/had program headed in a decline."

07 seemed like a pretty good year to me

"He couldnt recruit anymore."

He had the #6 ranked recruiting class when fired and considering I was a sophmore in HS I can say I wouldve played for him in a heartbeat.

If memory serves he had the #6 recruiting class up until the florida game... then the recruits, including Nunes, started to scatter after that debacle.

It definitely wasn't #6 when he was fired.

Fulmer from '05 on recruited fools gold. The exact kind of guys CBJ keeps a distance from.

All that said, I appreciate what Fulmer did but it was without question time for him to go.

I haven't seen the first post suggesting anything like you're describing. No one is bashing him. Some of what he says is right, but he has no one to blame but himself for the pathetic showings in 2002, 2005 and 2008.

Is it the administration's fault that players got off the plane in Knoxville A WEEK BEFORE THE SECCG with roses in their hand in 2001?

Was it the administration's fault we got blown out AT HOME by Florida in 2002?

Was it the administration's fault we got blown out by Alabama AT HOME in 2002?

Was it the administration's fault we got blown out by Miami AT HOME in 2002?

Was it the administration's fault we got blown out by Maryland in the bowl game 2002?

Was it the administration's fault we got blown by Georgia AT HOME in 2003?

Was it the administration's fault we got blown out by UNRANKED Clemson in the bowl game 2003?

Was it the administration's fault we were preseason top 3 in 2005 and then proceeded to go 5-6?

I won't go any farther. Fulmer is embarrassing himself again, much like Majors does too often.

:lolabove:

Reactions: 2 people
Originally Posted by Joe Vols View Post
Bash the man who won a National Championship and played for numerous SECC's. I just don't get some of you. After what we've been through since he left you should begin to have some kind of clue of how hard it is to do what he accomplished. Some of you act like he burned down the university, but instead what he left was a legacy here at UT of being a perineal powerhouse. A storied and rich tradition of winning. He set the bar high. Get over yourselves, and your overinflated egos.

Blast away! I'm going to enjoy this :D

I'm not bashing Fulmer but I'm not going to live in denial over him either. I appreciate all that the did for the university and I appreciate the great years of success. However that is only PART of the story! You cannot just weigh the good. You also have to look at things like 17-26 against ranked opponents. 2 losing seasons in 4 years. 8-7 bowl record (and with that, getting absolutely THRASHED by lesser talented K. State, Clemson, and Maryland teams). Off the field issues, arrests, recruiting bust after bust, teams playing soft, teams playing undisciplined. Getting out worked, out coached, and out recruited by younger up and coming coaches.

Fulmer absolutely FEASTED in the 90's on a weak SEC conference. Yet when you look at his record against teams with comparable talent, it's not good.

Look, the only reason anyone on here is saying anything against Fulmer is because it is glaringly apparent that after all these years that he's had to figure it out, the man is still in complete denial and still accepts NO responsibility for the demise of the football program. That's what everyone has a problem with I think.

Reactions: 3 people
:lolabove:

Just posed some really simple questions that contained some very disturbing facts on the final results of some really big games. How is that bashing him?

BTW, do you care to answer any of the simple questions I have posed?

Last edited:
I keep laughing at the notion that the last 5 years proves we shouldn't have fired Fulmer; all it proves is the replacement hire has been seriously bungled.

I'm not bashing Fulmer but I'm not going to live in denial over him either. I appreciate all that the did for the university and I appreciate the great years of success. However that is only PART of the story! You cannot just weigh the good. You also have to look at things like 17-26 against ranked opponents. 2 losing seasons in 4 years. 8-7 bowl record (and with that, getting absolutely THRASHED by lesser talented K. State, Clemson, and Maryland teams). Off the field issues, arrests, recruiting bust after bust, teams playing soft, teams playing undisciplined. Getting out worked, out coached, and out recruited by younger up and coming coaches.

Fulmer absolutely FEASTED in the 90's

Yet when you look at his record against teams with comparable talent, it's not good.

Look, the only reason anyone on here is saying anything against Fulmer is because it is glaringly apparent that after all these years that he's had to figure it out, the man is still in complete denial and still accepts NO responsibility for the demise of the football program. That's what everyone has a problem with I think.

The SEC wasn't weak in the 90s...LOL....it might be weaker than it is now, but it was still the best in the land

Fulmer absolutely FEASTED in the 90's on a weak SEC conference. Yet when you look at his record against teams with comparable talent, it's not good.

lol

Your last paragraph is spot on

From about 95-2001 it was Florida and Tennessee. After that it was a pretty big drop off.
It wasn't as strong as it is now, but it was still the best conference in CFB. While we had Georgia's number, they fared pretty well against the rest of the country. UK was a lot better then too. We barely beat them a couple of times during that span.

secracehorsesvi1.jpg

If memory serves he had the #6 recruiting class up until the florida game... then the recruits, including Nunes, started to scatter after that debacle.

It definitely wasn't #6 when he was fired.

Fulmer from '05 on recruited fools gold. The exact kind of guys CBJ keeps a distance from.

All that said, I appreciate what Fulmer did but it was without question time for him to go.

It was definitely 6th.when he was fired. I didnt follow recruiting really close at that time so I wouldntve been looking at it that early on. The only reason I did look is cuz he got fired and everyone said he couldnt recruit...mightve been shortly after USCe game when I looked

Bingo. I have trouble with the what have you done for me lately mentality. The man presided over a damned good era of Tennessee football. How many of you would not take his record right now?

Maybe it was time for him to go, but he was a pretty damned decent football coach, just let it go at that.

2002-2008 was a 7 year span that was trending downward to mediocrity. Actually 9 years without a BCS game if you go back to the year 2000. That's nowhere near a "what have you done for me lately" scenario. That's a total mischaracterization of the mindset. The really bad signs started popping up in 2002. So he was given plenty of time to get the program back into one that was competitive nationally. 2004 was perhaps his best coaching job ever , but followed it up with a stinker in 2005.

2002-2008 was a 7 year span that was trending downward to mediocrity. Actually 9 years without a BCS game if you go back to the year 2000. That's nowhere near a "what have you done for me lately" scenario. That's a total mischaracterization of the mindset. The really bad signs started popping up in 2002. So he was given plenty of time to get the program back into one that was competitive nationally. 2004 was perhaps his best coaching job ever , but followed it up with a stinker in 2005.

I would agree with this. Getting back to the SEC championship game with 2 true freshmen QB's was pretty impressive. Of course having 2 1000+ yard rushers on the team didn't hurt either!

Without him the last NC wouldve been 60 years ago.

And people say we live in the past now...

You can't say that with any real certainty.

Think about the team he got in 1992. Now think about the team in 2008. That 1992 team was better than any between 2002-2008. He started out on a pretty high mountain. Yes, he took it to a higher one pretty quickly, but then it finished on a mound.

It was definitely 6th.when he was fired. I didnt follow recruiting really close at that time so I wouldntve been looking at it that early on. The only reason I did look is cuz he got fired and everyone said he couldnt recruit...mightve been shortly after USCe game when I looked

I have never heard anyone say he couldn't recruit. In fact, it's the extreme opposite. Most everyone in the fan base agrees he was a great recruiter.

Where in the world did you get that info?

I have never heard anyone say he couldn't recruit. In fact, it's the extreme opposite. Most everyone in the fan base agrees he was a great recruiter.

Where in the world did you get that info?

His recruiting had become very inconsistent when younger, hungrier coaches came on the scene. He'd have a good class and then he'd finish outside the top 20 the next year. It was up and down. Plus it didn't help that he started having a lot of attrition. Some say he got lazy and just depended on outside rankings instead of doing his own evaluations. Who knows but something definitely happened. He was still getting some good "pieces" here and there like an Eric Berry or a Jerod Mayo but he wasn't filling his rosters top to bottom with the kind of quality depth he'd enjoyed in earlier years.

Last edited:
The man lived and breathed Tennessee football, he won a ton of games and a NC! He earned and deserves respect. Some of y'all are a little full of yourselves, IMHO

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back