'25 GA OT Josh Petty (Georgia Tech commit)

Ever attended a game there? Average attendance 37,733.

Campus in the middle of a bad part of Atlanta bordering a 14 lane interstate.

70% male student body and the female options aren’t all good looks and good times.

Is that enough?
He's going for development and a degree. Brent Key was a OL coach. Everything else you listed is background noise. You're speaking as a fan.
I worked at Tech for 15 years, and it is an excellent school.

Last edited:
The anti-big city vibes from this board are something. Be smart like you need to be in all big cities.

I’m not sure about GT student population but ATL overall has some serious talent.
One of us has a child who graduated GT (me), and the other may have never stepped foot onto the GT campus (you). Wonder if one of these opinions holds more weight?

He's going for development and a degree. Brent Key was a OL coach. Everything else you listed is background noise. Your speaking as a fan.
I worked at Tech for 15 years, and it is an excellent school.
I put one of my kids through GT and a technical degree from there has a lot of respect in the southern US. Everything I stated is 100% accurate. Go to a UT/Bama football game then go to a GT/Duke game - there’s no comparison. There’s regularly players making it to the NFL from all levels of college football so if you’ve got the talent the NFL will likely find you no matter where you play college ball. If you want one of the best engineering degrees available, then GT is an excellent choice. If you want to play in the most exciting football conferences then the SEC is a whole other level from the ACC and GT is not close to the top of the ACC.

These aren’t my opinions, they’re facts.

One of us has a child who graduated GT (me), and the other may have never stepped foot onto the GT campus (you). Wonder if one of these opinions holds more weight?

I’ve spent plenty of time around ATL and the areas surround GT. But yes it would be weird for a guy in his late 30’s (me) to hang around a college campus. On that we can agree.

I simply implore everyone to stop being sacred of big cities. Might not be you, just something I see here often. Convinced people don’t know where to hang out in these cities considering they always feel threatened.

Paul Johnson coached at GT for eleven years. He took them to 9 bowl games, he won the division 4 times and went to the ACC Championship game 3 times! He also beat Georgia 3 times in that period, not to mention giving us an absolute fit in the Kickoff Classic a few years ago! GT has a relatively low ceiling, but that program has proven it can be successful in its own right!
Tech historically is probably my second favorite team, while Johnson had some good years, he was 83-60 overall, which is kinda mid. To me, hiring him and going to the triple option seemed like they were kinda quiting on football. It killed the talent level in the program as no players with even an outside chance at the NFL wanted to come play at a place where they got no NFL relevant development. This approach makes zero sense considering where Georgia Tech is located geographically. Tech with the right coach can recruit classes with smart mid to upper level 3 stars and sprinkle in a handful of 4 and 5 stars and always be good in the ACC.

Last edited:
But the football program is basically Vanderbilt on steroids with better fan support

As much as I dislike Vanderbilt, please do not insult them so shamelessly. The SEC’s worst program is better than the ACC’s worst program. Georgia Tech is the ACC’s worst program.

I simply implore everyone to stop being sacred of big cities. Might not be you, just something I see here often. Convinced people don’t know where to hang out in these cities considering they always feel threatened.

The same people who would say something like that will also mention movies like “Deliverance” when they visit small remote towns. There’s something about sticking out like a tourist that makes people feel vulnerable - like an easy target.

Freezing cold take

I wouldn’t say it if it wasn’t true. While Ga Tech was trying to bring back the triple option, Duke and Wake Forest were winning. NC State and Syracuse have been competing to scare Clemson. Who has Ga Tech been better than over the past 20 years? Boston College at least had some upsets.

I wouldn’t say it if it wasn’t true. While Ga Tech was trying to bring back the triple option, Duke and Wake Forest were winning. NC State and Syracuse have been competing to scare Clemson. Who has Ga Tech been better than over the past 20 years? Boston College at least had some upsets.
Vanderbilt, you said Vanderbilt was better.

Vanderbilt, you said Vanderbilt was better.

I’m sorry. I should have stuck closer to the point I wished to make. GA Tech has been far from Vanderbilt on steroids. They have had one winning season in the past 6 years. It was 7-5. I believe the ACC has been terribly weaker than the SEC during the span.

Over the past 20 years, Vanderbilt had James Franklin and was a very respectable team for a few years. Ga Tech had a really good season with 11 wins, but from my perspective, 9 win Vandy in the SEC would have been an 11 win team in the ACC. I think if anything, the two schools have been equal this century.

I’m happy to have read these comments and i shouldn’t hate on Ga Tech. I hope they can regain their position as one of the top ACC teams, as they were in the 90’s. They were the only ACC team who could give FSU a scare in the mid 90’s and the fact that they never won any of those games is probably why I have a lower opinion of them than guys who were watching college football in 1990 and earlier.

Last edited:
Ummm….Miami. 😂

Don’t forget about Utu

Fair point. We have a great class coming in. I can’t remember the last time we had multiple 5 star recruits in the same class. I’m counting Sanders as one of them.

I remember when we had Trey Smith, Cade Mays, and Darnell Wright on the field at the same time. I thought we better win now, because when else will we have a better chance to run the ball again? As a matter of fact, I’d compare those 3 to Coleman, Teague, and Clifton. Thank you Danny White and Josh Heupel for what you have accomplished.

Last edited:
Haha. If output vs expectation was what we were comparing, Miami by a landslide.

I wish Petty would commit to TN. If we could land 2 top 5 OL commits in the same class, I would feel emboldened to put Georgia and Bama on notice.

Bama is already on notice. 1-1 the last 2 seasons and were up 13 in the loss on the road.

GT has 3 division titles in that 20 year span. What does Vandy have ?
I wouldn’t say it if it wasn’t true. While Ga Tech was trying to bring back the triple option, Duke and Wake Forest were winning. NC State and Syracuse have been competing to scare Clemson. Who has Ga Tech been better than over the past 20 years? Boston College at least had some upset.

A SEC paycheck
Right, I would agree with that. However GT has had about as much success as Vandy during that span. GT at least has a chance to be a good football team with the right coaches and out reach in that area. Vandy really have that luxury.

VN Store

Back