'25 GA OT Josh Petty (Georgia Tech commit)

The portal is a great thing. If Petty turns out to be a fantastic tackle, Tennessee will up its NIL for him and he can transfer in. Every year is a free agent year in college football.

Reactions: adam.vol
That’s likely true, but also he wants to play tackle and the coaches aren’t willing to put him there.
I see. Is there a reason why he wouldn’t work out at tackle or do we not plan on needing him? And that kind of sucks to be outbid by GT but it is what it is I guess.

I see. Is there a reason why he wouldn’t work out at tackle or do we not plan on needing him? And that kind of sucks to be outbid by GT but it is what it is I guess.

Most teams see him as an inside guy but he’s dead set on playing OT.

Him ending up at GTech is pretty telling and has nothing to do with being outbid.

I think the money part is probably more nuanced than GT having more money to spend.

GT "bid" on him as a high skill OT.
UT "bid" on him as a high skill tweener/insider.

that tweener/insider status is going to lower his value for us. Also we already have a highly ranked tweener/insider in Utu, which is going to further reduce our need.

I don't think its a true "outbid" consideration where GT ponied up more money than we had. I think it's an "out-valued" consideration where GT was willing to put up more money than UT valued him.

I think the money part is probably more nuanced than GT having more money to spend.

that tweener/insider status is going to lower his value for us. Also we already have a highly ranked tweener/insider in Utu, which is going to further reduce our need.

I don't think its a true "outbid" consideration where GT ponied up more money than we had. I think it's an "out-valued" consideration where GT was willing to put up more money than UT valued him.
Pretty much right on. A lot of teams feel like his true position is inside. He doesn’t agree. If nil numbers are correct (I doubt they are) then GT valued him as an OT. Everyone is looking at his ranking, likely he’s a bit overrated by recruiting services.

Reactions: 25vol

Thank you that explains a lot. I guess for a school like GT, he’s probably better than any OT they have on the roster anyway so what do they care if he wants to play OT or not? Makes sense as to why we didn’t push for him in the end.

Anyone that knows better know if there’s any truth to this?
No inside information but it certainly passes the eyeball test. We have our #1 target tackle. We are looking extremely well on the Oline for the next 4 years. GT has good reason to overpay for an elite OT..i'm sure it generates a lot of buzz for their program to land a 5 star and will give them a boost in knocking off a good team or 2 each year. He will be a day one starter there. We are in a good position to not overpay for Oline players. I'm sure the coaches would love to have him and would be willing to pay a good price but i'm sure they are considering that he likely wouldn't be a day one starter here also. Seems reasonable to me.

Reactions: 25vol
No inside information but it certainly passes the eyeball test. We have our #1 target tackle. We are looking extremely well on the Oline for the next 4 years. GT has good reason to overpay for an elite OT..i'm sure it generates a lot of buzz for their program to land a 5 star and will give them a boost in knocking off a good team or 2 each year. He will be a day one starter there. We are in a good position to not overpay for Oline players. I'm sure the coaches would love to have him and would be willing to pay a good price but i'm sure they are considering that he likely wouldn't be a day one starter here also. Seems reasonable to me.
I mean is he an elite OT though? Certainly not by measurables. And I really like him and wish we could’ve landed him but he was always going to be an inside guy if he came here.

$800,000 is a lot of money for a 255 lbs OT. At that weight, he has a lot of work to do to get ready. Keeping your mobility while gaining 50 lbs is not easy.
This. Although I don’t think it’s 800k a year. I know that’s what ON3 reported. I do think it was more than us or FSU was offering. I think if he didn’t go to GT he was probably going to FSU.

This. Although I don’t think it’s 800k a year. I know that’s what ON3 reported. I do think it was more than us or FSU was offering. I think if he didn’t go to GT he was probably going to FSU.

What I read from ON3 was it’s a 3 year deal worth at least $800k. I guess there are incentives, but I keep reading that performance based is illegal, so I don’t understand the “at minimum” part.

What I read from ON3 was it’s a 3 year deal worth at least $800k. I guess there are incentives, but I keep reading that performance based is illegal, so I don’t understand the “at minimum” part.
Possible that’s its appearance based with a provision that certain sponsors could get a few more appearances for more. I’m not sure how they can get around all of that though. Possibly one of the spyre people on the board might could speak to that but I doubt they would discuss it. All I know is they be heard from multiple sources, media etc that Tennessee’s NIL is about as well organized as anyone’s in the country and they always present it well.

Reactions: Frankwillie87
I mean if you want to look at it that way, but we are getting David Sanders over OSU and Nebraska on Saturday. So it’s not like we couldn’t pay up in this one if we wanted to…

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Thank you that explains a lot. I guess for a school like GT, he’s probably better than any OT they have on the roster anyway so what do they care if he wants to play OT or not? Makes sense as to why we didn’t push for him in the end.
I think our coaches were doing everything they could outside of making Spyre front more money. I think our coaches would have loved to have him on our team, they just see the value of that money needed elsewhere.

I mean is he an elite OT though? Certainly not by measurables. And I really like him and wish we could’ve landed him but he was always going to be an inside guy if he came here.
He wrestled in the 285 lb weight class so, he's not that small. For GT he probably is elite. He would need some time to develop in the SEC. I noticed his deal is for 3 years. Sounds like they plan on starting him day 1.

He wrestled in the 285 lb weight class so, he's not that small. For GT he probably is elite. He would need some time to develop in the SEC. I noticed his deal is for 3 years. Sounds like they plan on starting him day 1.
I mean I love a good wrestler as a lineman but there’s some things too just can’t get around easily. Tennessee, Georgia, Ohio st and FSU all told him the same thing; ultimately he would end up inside. I think all those programs would love to have him. This isn’t sour grapes; he’s an elite interior lineman prospect. Maybe GT thinks he’s worth the risk though and even though they have to spend OT money on him, maybe they play him inside year one and two and he grows into the tackle role? I think probably we’re saying the same thing?

Possible that’s its appearance based with a provision that certain sponsors could get a few more appearances for more. I’m not sure how they can get around all of that though. Possibly one of the spyre people on the board might could speak to that but I doubt they would discuss it. All I know is they be heard from multiple sources, media etc that Tennessee’s NIL is about as well organized as anyone’s in the country and they always present it well.
I just assumed it was per appearance and winners get more demand for appearances.

Thank you for this keen insight. It's been a tremendous help.

It's a recruiting forum, GT and UT are both going after the same prospect. It's not the end of the world for me to say I hope GT lands him. Relax.

I got yall pulling the stunner in week 0.
Im not trying to pat myself on the back or anything…. Nvm yeah I am. Good game yellajackets!

VN Store

Back