Game Thread: #20 Lady Vols v #18 Fighting Irish, Home, Wed 5PM, ESPN2

I just don’t think it’s all coaching, it’s the roster. Now I do blame the coaches for putting this very flawed roster together.
we have four players on our roster who i think are generally good players (powell, RJ, spears, and wells for me). the rest are depth players who are being forced to play major roles. you can’t have that along with a below par coach and expect anything good to happen.

All this has nothing to do with a player.
The in-game management from the sideline is detrimental.
If a player gets 2 fouls in the 1st half they are automatically subbed out the game until the 3rd qtr.
If a player gets 3 fouls in the 2nd half they are automatically subbed out the game until the 4th qtr.
Jewel Spear had no business coming out the game in the 3rd qtr and sitting that long.
Then she took her out again after starting the 4th qtr during the 4th qtr.
It’s just mind boggling.
The predetermined substitutions kept this game in a position where Notre Dame could come back and win.
The final play that was ran is an exact reflection of the thinking process and philosophy of this coaching staff.
They are severely out of touch with reality and that starts at the top.

Yeah we have the pieces. Roster not being managed well. Idk who’s calling the shots but it’s time for someone else to call them.

Danny needs to get on the phone with the TCU coach.

Reactions: tbwhhs and POLOinDC
UT plays too scary and are too sacred of big game moments. I can’t continue to watch this brand of basketball and these type of players season after season. No recruits wants to play with these caliber of players. I’m tired of losing winnable games against mediocre teams. Signed a broken hearted vol fan.

PS Man we miss Pat, Candace Parker, Shannon Bobbitt, Alexis Hornbuckle and Nicky Anosike type players…the glory days are long gone.

Yeah we have the pieces. Roster not being managed well. Idk who’s calling the shots but it’s time for someone else to call them.

Danny needs to get on the phone with the TCU coach.
Need to go get the best coach we can get male or female

Title still stands. When CKH gets one, get back on this train and we can evaluate. It’s ok, you’re upset and need to take it out. Men aren’t playing well
whats barnes excuse? His team is full strength (besides zz who is still playing) and they are getting dismantled. Atleast the girls keep it competitive

whats barnes excuse? His team is full strength (besides zz who is still playing) and they are getting dismantled. Atleast the girls keep it competitive
Missing shots, getting out hustled on the road. Girls lost at home up 16 at one point. Not a good day for both

Reactions: knoxvol52
Anyone defending this loss cause Rickea is out is lost without any hope for reason

Don't want to hear if RJ...would have played..
Then plug up your ears bc I'm going to say it. If RIckea plays tonight, she scores 30 and we win by at least 15. No one on that court tonight could have guarded her. At all. And she could have guarded and rebounded with their posts as well. Not having her was all the difference for us. And I realize they were without players also. But if Rickea plays, we win fairly easily tonight.

It's fine and good to say we're finding our identity and roles w/o RJ, but the truth is our identity is RJ and the LVs who played the first half which her presence enables. And we need to get back to that as soon as possible. But of course we have no control over that. And now she's sick. Damn. Lots of flu going around Knoxville, my daughter is sick af.
Sitting Kaiya in the second when she was making it difficult for Hannah stupid.
Kaiya played well, but Hannah was not our problem. The LVs did a great job on Hannah. It was their inside game that killed us.
.this team lacks post play desperately right now .. Jackson and Keys is a tremendous loss for now for this team .. hard to win without a post presence ..no length .. hard to beat teams without it.. hopefully they can get Jackson back soon ..
Yep. Jill. What in the world? She is a very worrying situation right now. And again, if we had Rickea in the post . . .
our post defense was so bad in the second half. striplin did well on offense, but her, hollingshead, and puckett give up way too many easy buckets. ND post were getting whatever they wanted against them.
Striplin and Puckett both fought hard, but they're not tall enough to match up w ND. Coaches must reclaim Jill. She's our size right now.

Jewel struggles to guard, that's why she keeps getting taken out. I'd like to see her create a bit more on offense. She's still a little tenative.

Wells played so well the first half and she and JP together was awesome. But like Jewel, Wells is still struggling for consistency. JP has the heart of a lion, alot of Jordan Walker in her.
Said earlier today, once apathy and low attendance sets in the end is near.
Very disappointing loss, very disappointing crowd. 5 p.m. on Wednesday is stupid. One of the smallest, most apathetic crowds I've seen in a long time.

Then plug up your ears bc I'm going to say it. If RIckea plays tonight, she scores 30 and we win by at least 15. No one on that court tonight could have guarded her. At all. And she could have guarded and rebounded with their posts as well. Not having her was all the difference for us. And I realize they were without players also. But if Rickea plays, we win fairly easily tonight.

It's fine and good to say we're finding our identity and roles w/o RJ, but the truth is our identity is RJ and the LVs who played the first half. And we need to get back to that as soon as possible. But of course we have no control over that. And now she's sick. Damn. Lots of flu going around Knoxville, my daughter is sick af.

Kaiya played well, but Hannah was not our problem. The LVs did a great job on Hannah. It was their inside game that killed us.

Yep. Jill. What in the world? She is a very worrying situation right now. And again, if we had Rickea in the post . . .

Striplin and Puckett both fought hard, but they're not tall enough to match up w ND. Coaches must reclaim Jill. She's our size right now.

Jewel struggles to guard, that's why she keeps getting taken out. I'd like to see her create a bit more on offense. She's still a little tenative.

Wells played so well the first half and she and JP together was awesome. But like Jewel, Wells is still struggling for consistency

Very disappointing loss, very disappointing crowd. 5 p.m. on Wednesday is stupid. One of the smallest, most apathetic crowds I've seen in a long time.
And so it begins “most apathetic crowds I’ve seen in a long time”

To your point 5pm isn’t ideal. But crowd can still be into it

It's fine and good to say we're finding our identity and roles w/o RJ, but the truth is our identity is RJ and the LVs who played the first half which her presence enables. And we need to get back to that as soon as possible. But of course we have no control over that. And now she's sick. Damn. Lots of flu going around Knoxville, my daughter is sick af.

Wells played so well the first half and she and JP together was awesome. But like Jewel, Wells is still struggling for consistency. JP has the heart of a lion, alot of Jordan Walker in her.

Your opinion is noted...

If, if ,if if when do the ifs stop...
Plus no guarantees RJ scores 30 or the Notre Dame players score 30...
All speculation...

Hope your daughter gets better soon..my granddaughter having tonsils took out next week...

Sad effort, lady vols.... seemed like the were out efforted
Not the least, tiniest bit. I don't know where people come up with this, except just kneejerk cliche. I was about 10 rows off the floor and I can assure you every player gave full effort all the time.

This team has problems, mostly the lack of their superstar, but effort is not one of them.

I just don’t think it’s all coaching, it’s the roster. Now I do blame the coaches for putting this very flawed roster together.

You can think that but it’s wrong.
The issue and deciding factor in this game came down to coaching.

The roster built a 16 point lead in this game. Same as Ohio State last season.

I watch nearly every sport and there are coaches on every level that with a sizeable lead they aren’t going to let the game slip away.
It’s the same thing with the slow starts.

This is a repeated scenario. Y’all are so caught up in this myth about talent that you go to the extreme to prove a point.

Tennessee for years has played the same way and that’s an issue. You can’t become predictable and expect to beat quality teams that aren’t one dimensional. Tennessee is the trademark of predictability.

Notre Dame went into halftime knowing exactly what Tennessee would do in the 2nd half and how to give themselves a chance.

If our players know it.
Their players know it. Their coaches know it.
How are you folks still talking this nonsense about talent?
This is competitive sports.
Everyone has ability on this level.
Truth is, Tennessee could’ve had Rickea and Tamari healthy and still would’ve been coached this way.
The predictable substitution would’ve still been part of the game plan.
You have to be strategic and be able to coach X’s & O’s.
The team is over coached for the wrong reasons and rigidly stuck in this system with no progressive thinking in sight.

Last edited:
Reactions: UT Challenger
Again, not true. That was about size, not effort. Once Jill proved completely ineffective, Karo and Sara were just outsized. But they never didn't try. Sara particularly got beat to death trying to play post at 6'2"
No 15 killed us coming in from the free throw line and 3 getting those boards and so did Bransford who’s barely 6 foot

VN Store

Back