Game Thread: 2023 Women's NCAA Tournament...Round of 16: Lady Vols v Va. Tech...Sat @ 6:30 ESPN2

Congrats to the Lady Vols on a good season. It's not what we can be as a program but it was a good rebound to the season after a rough start. At times during this tournament I started to believe the way they were leaving teams in the dust and Virginia Tech looked beatable. I guess they got too far behind and there's still a ways to go.

It's a new world. There is nothing wrong with using the portal. The only issue with the portal is it hurts some kids coming out of high school. For a coach, you develop your recruiting strategy... it might be leveraged on high schoolers, portals, or internationals or some combo.
But as to using the portal, let me know how you think Maryland is doing or LSU is doing this tournament?

Kellie has no choice but to go that route though so don't act like it is a strategy. She has tried to recruit dozens of players and struck out.

Nor Striplin, Kellie starting her every game against an elite big was coaching malpractice!

Jillian did a much better job. Sometimes it’s just the matchup and you’ve got to go with what makes sense. Her inflexibility on some of the lineup stuff this season is inexplicable. I think she spends entirely too much time worrying about. Play the best players you have as many minutes as you can.

That same girl got away with a lot of dirty play against Jackson all night. Jo Jo just giving some pay back.

Yeah, getting aggressively physical with Jackson has been the game plan of UConn, LSU, and now Virginia Tech. They all made it really difficult for her and got away with some nasty fouls IMO. It'll be interesting to see what Jackson works on in the off-season but I imagine bulking up some could help her out in these kinds of situations.

What I have witnessed and have watched for years played out again tonight, they just don’t play much as a team. No question they have and continue to bring in some talented players but the offense seems stagnant a lot, not much moving and cutting, using screens well, poor IQ ball. They never seem happy or enthused, driven to win. I am not sure Coach Harper has been much of an improvement over Coach Warlick. Their play is a far cry from the Summitt era, where they seemed to get after it defensively and much smarter offensively. Darby, Striplin and Puckett are slow bigs who cannot create their own shot, are not great defensively, size is all they bring to the table, and they are not great athletically. If Harper is going to stick around, she needs to bring in quicker more athletic players.

Reactions: Raebo and Prophet1
Congrats to the Lady Vols on a good season. It's not what we can be as a program but it was a good rebound to the season after a rough start. At times during this tournament I started to believe the way they were leaving teams in the dust and Virginia Tech looked beatable. I guess there's still a ways to go.
We can and we will .!!! The Lady Vols proved that when they play hard and well we can beat anyone. It was obvious Horston literally had the whole entire world playing in her head. The decision to stay or go pro. The expectation to be the best leader and player you can be and a million other things hinder her lock in mode . And that’s okay because as a young adult we live and you learn.

Reactions: BreatheUT
We should have pressed and trapped some early on to get Virginia Tech out of rythmn. We waited to get down by 18 before trying something besides a standard half court D. Had we trapped earlier at least some, I think we would have scored more than 9 in the second quarter. Harper needs to learn how to adjust faster. We have made some improvement but we need some help at all positions. We need more ball handlers and good passers and good shooters. We have to improve our overall fundamentals.

Kellie has no choice but to go that route though so don't act like it is a strategy. She has tried to recruit dozens of players and struck out.

I did forget to mention NIL... huge impact on the game, and remarkably, our Lady Vols basketball NIL approach has not been as successful as one with the brand would have expected

Reactions: lfvol and Voluble2
Rickea coming back is the saving grace for this program.

I’m so over the Kellie Harper era. Call me a negavol if you want. The great off the court culture that everyone speaks of isn’t translating to success on the court. Results on the court matter too. How you lose matters. Outside of the momentum we built from the press, that was an embarrassing showing on both sides.

Over and out ✌️

Reactions: T_Vol376
We can and we will .!!! The Lady Vols proved that when they play hard and well we can beat anyone. It was obvious Horston literally had the whole entire world playing in her head. The decision to stay or go pro. The expectation to be the best leader and player you can be and a million other things hinder her lock in mode . And that’s okay because as a young adult we live and you learn.

We didn't at all prove that we could beat anyone--that's the issue.

VN Store

Back