Game Thread: Fla at Lady Vols; Thurs Jan 11; 7PM; SEC Network ----- Win; 88-81

Name calling? I can’t spell remember. Sorry. Kellie is fine if you want to be a top 20-35 team. You guys are correct 👍 we should all just be happy making it to the tournament and making it to the round of 32. Heck we made the sweet 16 last year. We should all just be happy happy.
I guess what I don't get is why it's SO important to you that no one be improperly happy happy. Are you the happy police? So yeah, some compartmetalize games and enjoy that we won this one. Is that a crime? Totally get you're not impressed but must you bring everyone else down? You don't really think us being excessively happy makes any difference to the future of the program do you?

I guess what I don't get is why it's SO important to you that no one be improperly happy happy. Are you the happy police? So yeah, some compartmetalize games and enjoy that we won this one. Is that a crime? Totally get you're not impressed but must you bring everyone else down? You don't really think us being excessively happy makes any difference to the future of the program do you?
Not at all. We are talking about the lady Vols on this forum. We are not talking about life but I’m glad you are happy and so am I.

Reactions: VOLSanon
Good to see Sara having a good comeback game
The Lady Vols played a gritty game, hung in there tough and took care of business against a tough and determined Florida team. Good to see Sara get her shot back. Should make a world of difference in her confidence levels. Came at just the right time.

Looks like it's never going to be easy or espec pretty. So happy for Sara. No one needed this game more. Good job coaching her up.

Great to see Jewel continue to score and got 20 pts wo hitting a 3! I thought once again Jill had some really good mins and her 3 pt play was huge. I thought the rotation of Strip, who had a huge 3, Key, who had a huge block and several buckets and Jill was well done.

Not sure what was going on w Rickea besides the two and sometimes three defenders that were draped all over her. She was very low energy the first quarter, not hunting her shots. Could not get even easy shots to go down. But then you look up and she has 18 pts and 8 rebs! Also, this is exactly how its supposed to work. When a team decides to go all in to shut Rickea down, we have weapons to compensate.

Sure hope they can find some early game energy for the upcoming road games. Next crucial stretch is those two games then home for Vandy, who may be ranked!, on Jan 21. Keep finding a way to win.

You seem like personally and morally outraged that anyone would be happy we won tonight. Call me simple, but I was pretty dang happy.
Me too. I’m glad we came back from 10-15 pts back and beat a top 75 team in Florida. Your right, I should be more positive and spin it your way.

Reactions: Hbg
I’ll relax when we actually have a coach that can recruit a high school player (4 or 5 star player), can add one or two good players from the portal, can develop players, can teach good team defense, can team some kind of offense and can demand respect of their players and the locker room. I see none of that from any of CKH teams. It’s not anything personal against Kellie. I just think we have not gotten what we need from her and her assistants. If we don’t make a change soon, it will get worse. This is a proud program and some of you think what we are getting is okay. It’s really not.
You're not really following the Lady Vols, their recruiting, or their player development are you. First, no one who follows the Lady Vols can deny that this staff has had excellent results in the portal (although I will admit that I would have liked seeing another big for next year). Second, Kaniya Boyd, who is on campus now and is a 4* 2024 guard will soon be followed by 5* 2025 wing Nyla Brooks and things are looking up for a 5* 2025 guard, as well. Third, as far as developing players, I would suggest you obviously are unwilling to recognize the improvement in Rickea Jackson, Tamari Key, Karoline Striplin, and Kaiya Wynn, just on this current team. Also Jas Powell has shown significant improvement year-to-year under this staff. And, although neither Tess Darby or Sara Puckett will ever be elite, or particularly strong, defenders, to deny that they have each improved in that area is to, once again, deny reality, at least in my opinion.

Would I like to see better in game coaching decisions in a number of situations? Clearly, yes. Do I have a problem with some of the substitution patterns employed? Again, yes. I think my greatest problem with Kellie is the scheduling that she does. The strength of the early schedule, when combined with her proclivity to use the early games as a shake out period to find the capabilities of her various lineups can be maddening. If you want to use in game play to work out the rough spots in your team structure, schedule like some of the other SEC coaches, notably in Louisiana, and schedule easier teams, at least at first. If you want to increase the difficulty of the schedule, do it strategically after a period of, what I would call "warm-up games".

To say you see none of the qualities, particularly with regard to the respect of the players and "locker room" (whatever that is), that you profess to want simply displays your unwillingness to look at the staff and team in an objective manner, probably because you have an already predetermined objective in mind. Just saying.

Jim

Not a fan of Holly. Not from Middle Tennessee. I am from East Tennessee. I unlike most of you fine people remember the good ole days when we played defense, ran a good offense and hand picked any player we wanted. I also think we can return to those days chuckipoop. And I also respect other peoples opinions unless their screen name is chuckipoop. Sorry to disappoint you.
So far, you only seem to respect other people's opinions when they agree with your own.

Jim

Me too. I’m glad we came back from 10-15 pts back and beat a top 75 team in Florida. Your right, I should be more positive and spin it your way.
See you're being all sarcastic and sh*t. I'm not asking you to spin it any way, you totally do you. Just don't be mad at me or look down your nose at me bc I'm glad we didn't lose.

Not a fan of Holly. Not from Middle Tennessee. I am from East Tennessee. I unlike most of you fine people remember the good ole days when we played defense, ran a good offense and hand picked any player we wanted. I also think we can return to those days chuckipoop. And I also respect other peoples opinions unless their screen name is chuckipoop. Sorry to disappoint you.

Hmm, Maya Moore, Ella Della Donne, and a 100 hundred other top recruits chose other schools over Tennessee, even in their hey day,
Even in the glory years, Tennessee often looked a bit challenged in the half court (with CPS always trying new systems to solve the puzzle.
True, we were a consistently solid defensive team but even that waned a bit in the final years.

Tennesee's 8 NC titles are a lot banners but, they had some disappointing seasons as well; This reality, and the many struggles and ups and downs of this Summitt golden era is being turned into a fairy tale.

Last edited:
Looks like it's never going to be easy or espec pretty. So happy for Sara. No one needed this game more. Good job coaching her up.

Great to see Jewel continue to score and got 20 pts wo hitting a 3! I thought once again Jill had some really good mins and her 3 pt play was huge. I thought the rotation of Strip, who had a huge 3, Key, who had a huge block and several buckets and Jill was well done.

Not sure what was going on w Rickea besides the two and sometimes three defenders that were draped all over her. She was very low energy the first quarter, not hunting her shots. Could not get even easy shots to go down. But then you look up and she has 18 pts and 8 rebs! Also, this is exactly how its supposed to work. When a team decides to go all in to shut Rickea down, we have weapons to compensate.

Sure hope they can find some early game energy for the upcoming road games. Next crucial stretch is those two games then home for Vandy, who may be ranked!, on Jan 21. Keep finding a way to win.

Well, I think the game plan worked the way it needed to and FL will likely be the template going forward. Teams are going to do everything to take away Rickea and that will open spaces up for others - like Puckett and Spear. We said Spear would get cooking once she did not have to be the #1 option.

Rickea was interesting. She made some twisting turning fall away shots but missed the few open looks and easy put backs she had. She has been a little off the last 2 games. Maybe her allergies have her feeling a little lethargic. All that matters is that she pulls out the superwoman cape when needed. She has just had to be good, not great in these opening conference games.

Ditto your oomments on Sara. Red hot from 3 point land and claimed a few big rebounds as well. Let's hope this is her season turning point.

The resurgence of Key continues. She made some tough catches in the paint that weren't happening earlier in the season and she knocked down mid-range jumper!

I agree that a better transition to the road games is crucial. Reducing a deficit is a lot easier when you have the home crowd on your side and tougher when they are against you.

I am no expert but I would think avoiding double digit deficit would be a good thing to do in these upcoming games.

Last edited:
Don't any of you remember Pat Summitt and all the national championships? At least a time when the Lady Vols were an elite program? How about when we were top 10 in the country just a couple months ago? Of course be happy and enjoy every win but Kjh has done nothing to elevate this program. We're not even in the top 25. Kellie looks good...she's nice....likeable etc...but she doesn't WIN anywhere near the level a program with the history and resources of UT should. Not even a top 25 team when we were what...7th to start the season? Sweet 16. Wow. What a high water mark. The depths this program has fallen to is shameful and an insult to the legacy Pat built no matter how cute or nice Kellie is. Demand and expect more.

Holy hell, I swear the Lady Vols are the only program in this sport who get more drive by hate when they win, than when they lose. It's truly remarkable how many people get all pissed off and disappointed when they win games. Sometimes I wonder if they get so pissed because they were going to come on here and tell everyone how crappy everything is, except they can't because Tennessee won. Actually, wait, no, that can't be it, they come on here and tell everyone how crappy everything is anyway. What a world.

She needed this so bad and what about her rebounding!!!
It was so great to see Puckett have this game! At one point she ran down the court just beaming after she sank a three. Happy for her and for the team. Partner and I were talking about how you can clearly see Jewel putting things together on the court and getting more comfy and aggressive. Jill had a good game too. Would have liked to have won by more, but a win is a win and I’m happy to see the players gelling. More tests to come.

Name calling? I can’t spell remember. Sorry. Kellie is fine if you want to be a top 20-35 team. You guys are correct 👍 we should all just be happy making it to the tournament and making it to the round of 32. Heck we made the sweet 16 last year. We should all just be happy happy.

Holly … is that you ?

Maybe Ivy incarnate? 😈

DARTH…. from another cave !

Keep on stirring…. We have seen you before!

VN Store

Back