GT - Why cut block?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...nson-mark-stoops-kentucky-georgia-tech-blocks

Just to play along and welcome you to our board how about Alvonte Bell with Kentucky. In that link would you mind explaining the lineman diving at his feet while being locked up with the center just like the youtube video? Can I get your explanation for both videos?

I really don't see how you can root for a team and watch that bs go on.

It was announced at the Kentucky Summer luncheon that Alvonte Bell had been dismissed for violation of team rules. The poor guy probably got addicted to pain pills from having to get his knee reconstructed.

Also y'all cut block so how is it dirty when we do it but not y'all?

You ask me to prove it to you. Before you ask me another question on my teams board how about you answer mine. Tell me what would you call that block I just gave you as proof in the youtube video?

That's an illegal chop block. I'm not denying the fact that it happens, did you even read what I asked? I said show me someone who's season we had ended because that was your statement, the argument isn't wether it was illegal or not. The argument is that you said it ends a ton of players seasons. You act like UT has never done anything illegal lol. It doesn't mean it was intentional. The guard in this play was suppose to cut the NT and the center was suppose to get to the LB if I'm not mistaken. The center did not do a good job and the OG was only doing what he was suppose to do and that's cut block the NT, it turned into a chop block because of the center. Know whats actually going on and you will have a better understanding instead of making assumptions that it's dirty.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...nson-mark-stoops-kentucky-georgia-tech-blocks

Just to play along and welcome you to our board how about Alvonte Bell with Kentucky. In that link would you mind explaining the lineman diving at his feet while being locked up with the center just like the youtube video? Can I get your explanation for both videos?

I really don't see how you can root for a team and watch that bs go on.

It was announced at the Kentucky Summer luncheon that Alvonte Bell had been dismissed for violation of team rules. The poor guy probably got addicted to pain pills from having to get his knee reconstructed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M1QtkSqShyQ

Go to 18:30..... listen to the announcers and watch. They were both pushed into other guys on the ground. Neither were cut blocked.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M1QtkSqShyQ

Go to 18:30..... listen to the announcers and watch. They were both pushed into other guys on the ground. Neither were cut blocked.

Yes, but the guy got injure tripping over a person that just fell from being cut. Well #58 for gt actually looked like he was trying to dive into a swimming pool. You're going to have low injury stats for the cut itself to the person intended for, but injuring the guy next to him from the clutter caused by it.

Last edited:
Settle down guys. Let's keep it friendly in here. Can't we just hug it out and make fun of VT and UNC fans?

In all honesty, the general level of cut block conversation so far here has been pretty informed.

Reactions: 1 person
Both of those guys got injured by drive blocks. They weren't even cut lol..... even the announcers said this after watching the replay, and didn't know what stoops was mad about. In the first one he got blocked into a guy behind him on the ground (no cut block) and on the second it was the same thing. Go watch the game on YouTube at those points so you can see a better view and listen to the announcers.

I didn't think I would get a true answer. In the Georgia video he was NOT blocked in to him. They had 3 on the line and you'll had five. The left guard doesn't lock up with anybody. Nobody blocks him. The ball is snapped, he turns to the right, and dives at the Georgia DLs knees and ankles.

Pure 🐓💩.

The second video against KY looks like he just scored a goal in Fifa and dove to the ground to celebrate on his stomach.

For PJ to still defend this in 2017 is hysterical. If we come out of this game withought a DL hurt I will be very surprised yet estatic.

I didn't think I would get a true answer. In the Georgia video he was NOT blocked in to him. They had 3 on the line and you'll had five. The left guard doesn't lock up with anybody. Nobody blocks him. The ball is snapped, he turns to the right, and dives at the Georgia DLs knees and ankles.

Pure 🐓💩.

The second video against KY looks like he just scored a goal in Fifa and dove to the ground to celebrate on his stomach.

For PJ to still defend this in 2017 is hysterical. If we come out of this game withought a DL hurt I will be very surprised yet estatic.

I wasn't talking about the UGA player in my post. In the UK both DL guy got man handled and were driven back. It's irrelevant if someone was on the ground behind them imo, you get that kind of stuff all the time with short yardage plays from a lot of teams.

Serious question: why would you be surprised if y'all came out with no DL injuries? Teams we play come out with no DL injuries more time than not.

Ah, I see.

So what makes you think our players are "talking about cut blocks"?

NOTHING....

It's. A. Hypothetical.

"You" refers to the opposing team whomever they are. The comment refers to the fact that GT likes hearing opponents talk about the cut blocks because it might make d-linemen hesitate a little. It's like running draws and screens against a line that likes to get upfield. Just giving them something else to think about.

Here's a very good discussion of the cut block. Worth reading:

http://raleighco.com/sports/cut-it-out-why-are-low-blocks-still-legal-in-football/

It's from two seasons ago, but the issue hasn't changed. Pretty good read. Warning: our Ga Tech visitors are not going to like the article's perspective.
I honestly see this point of view. My issue though, is that almost every team cut blocks, so it would affect every team (GT more of course). Also I don't believe it's as dangerous as this guy is making it out to be. Have guys gotten hurt from it? Yes. But guys get hurt from being tackled, should we say no tackles below the waist? Guys get hurt from crack back blocks, and many other things in football. I would dare to say that guys get hurt more from being tackled, and more major injuries than from cut blocks. Imo people complaining about cut block and injuries is more of a cop out because they just don't like playing our offense because of what it brings to the table, it's annoying to prepare for etc. There has been no proof that it's more dangerous than other aspects of football, so it's a misconception that people don't know much about imo.

On a side note why do some of y'all complain about us doing it and how we are dirty yet don't say anything about when y'all do it? Is it not dirty when y'all do it?

Like I said earlier guys don't get injured from cuts more times than not when playing us.

I honestly hate to see anyone get hurt and I don't think GT is dirty in doing it. I do see the worry about it to an extent though. I also think a lot of people are misinformed about it and just go by what they hear.

Hopefully it's a game with no injuries and it's a fun time for both sides.

I honestly see this point of view. My issue though, is that almost every team cut blocks, so it would affect every team (GT more of course). Also I don't believe it's as dangerous as this guy is making it out to be. Have guys gotten hurt from it? Yes. But guys get hurt from being tackled, should we say no tackles below the waist? Guys get hurt from crack back blocks, and many other things in football. I would dare to say that guys get hurt more from being tackled, and more major injuries than from cut blocks. Imo people complaining about cut block and injuries is more of a cop out because they just don't like playing our offense because of what it brings to the table, it's annoying to prepare for etc. There has been no proof that it's more dangerous than other aspects of football, so it's a misconception that people don't know much about imo.

On a side note why do some of y'all complain about us doing it and how we are dirty yet don't say anything about when y'all do it? Is it not dirty when y'all do it?

Like I said earlier guys don't get injured from cuts more times than not when playing us.

I honestly hate to see anyone get hurt and I don't think GT is dirty in doing it. I do see the worry about it to an extent though. I also think a lot of people are misinformed about it and just go by what they hear.

Hopefully it's a game with no injuries and it's a fun time for both sides.

That kind of blocking isn't coached to do at every team. In the GA video all the left guard has to do is turn right and double team the DL with your center. There's no excuse for him leaving his feet or diving at the defenders knee while locked up.

I wasn't talking about the UGA player in my post. In the UK both DL guy got man handled and were driven back. It's irrelevant if someone was on the ground behind them imo, you get that kind of stuff all the time with short yardage plays from a lot of teams.

Serious question: why would you be surprised if y'all came out with no DL injuries? Teams we play come out with no DL injuries more time than not.

Because I would have better chances of hitting the lottery than us coming out of the game without a DL hurt.

That kind of blocking isn't coached to do at every team. In the GA video all the left guard has to do is turn right and double team the DL with your center. There's no excuse for him leaving his feet or diving at the defenders knee while locked up.

The center was not suppose to be tied up with the NT he should have gone to the second level but the NT blew off the ball so well the center wasn't able to. The OG wouldn't have even know the center was tied up because he cut block right away, he wasn't looking at the center because he's taught to cut block right at the snap. The issue with your argument is you don't know what the blocking scheme should have been and why it happened that way. I'm also not defending the fact that it was a good/clean block. It was a an illegal block as I have already stated, but that doesn't make it dirty.

The center was not suppose to be tied up with the NT he should have gone to the second level but the NT blew off the ball so well the center wasn't able to. The OG wouldn't have even know the center was tied up because he cut block right away, he wasn't looking at the center because he's taught to cut block right at the snap. The issue with your argument is you don't know what the blocking scheme should have been and why it happened that way. I'm also not defending the fact that it was a good/clean block. It was a an illegal block as I have already stated, but that doesn't make it dirty.

:lolabove:

Because I would have better chances of hitting the lottery than us coming out of the game without a DL hurt.

That not a very good answer. To be surprised would indicate you think there is a greater chance than not for it to happen. But that's not the case when playing GT, more times than not we do not injure a DL guy from a cut block. So the question is why would you be SUPEISED when it's something that doesn't happen more than it does happen? That doesn't make much sense. There's a greater chance one of your players injure one of ours from a tackle than me winning the lottery lol.

Here's a very good discussion of the cut block. Worth reading:

http://raleighco.com/sports/cut-it-out-why-are-low-blocks-still-legal-in-football/

It's from two seasons ago, but the issue hasn't changed. Pretty good read. Warning: our Ga Tech visitors are not going to like the article's perspective.

The most dangerous play in all of football is when a DE comes free and blindsides a QB. The DE's job is literally to concuss the quarterback. His role on the field is to deal permanent injury to the other team's most valuable player. And the primary thing between him and that objective, at all levels of football, is a tailback trying to execute a cut block.

So yeah, I just don't have any sympathy for a defensive linemen who complains about getting no-arm-tackled. They're big boys, they aught to be able to handle it. And it's not that hard to do, if the player is taught correctly. Eyes on the defender, maintain pad level, arms out, push the blocker into the dirt. UT was practicing it in spring, I saw videos.

Chop blocks and clips are different, obviously. Those are dangerous, and nobody should teach their players to chop block or clip.

So in the clip from a prior post of UT chop blocking a guy (one high one low) was that dirty? Must have been by your standard lol. You're not making much sense or giving good arguments.

The clip I posted was of VIRGINIA TECH. There may be one out there of UT, but if there was, I wouldn't post it here. It'd be rude.

I'd post that clip on a VT forum though because Eff those guys.

Last edited:

You should play the lottery because it's not like teams lose lineman after every game against Tech. This is a common myth but as someone else mentioned, Tech coach Paul Johnson says nothing about it because the myth mentality makes the opposing lineman think a litlle more aka slow down.

As far as why they do it, it's because it is a key element to their scheme. Pitch left, pitch right, or dive play are all dictated by what the linemen do after the snap. And others have mentioned, it also opens the door to recruit smaller, quicker lineman because they are not trying to hold up a 300 pound lineman, they are just trying to get them out of the way. The military academies would almost be out of business if they eliminated this because you have to be a certain weight to play for some of those schools. A 350 pound guy isn't going to fit in a submarine!

Does the Tech fan in me like it? Not really but it has nothing to do with it being a dirty play because all teams cut block especially on the edges. No, the problem is when a defense beats it, you are SOL. Take Clemson, Tech owned Clemson in Dabo's early years but now Clemson has gotten better against GT primarily because they are able to beat those blocks. It's not the personnel, it's the mentality; they KNOW they can beat it. When that happens Tech has to resort to passing the ball and their passing game is targeted towards the deep pass (20+ yards), they don't have many 5-10 yard passes in the playbook, they don't employ a tight end.

I'm not a fan of the whining from my UT bretheren because I think it's sloppy research. Teams aren't consistently coming out of their game with GT with major injuries, in fact Clemson went on to win a national championship!

The most dangerous play in all of football is when a DE comes free and blindsides a QB. The DE's job is literally to concuss the quarterback. His role on the field is to deal permanent injury to the other team's most valuable player. And the primary thing between him and that objective, at all levels of football, is a tailback trying to execute a cut block.

So yeah, I just don't have any sympathy for a defensive linemen who complains about getting no-arm-tackled. They're big boys, they aught to be able to handle it. And it's not that hard to do, if the player is taught correctly. Eyes on the defender, maintain pad level, arms out, push the blocker into the dirt. UT was practicing it in spring, I saw videos.

Chop blocks and clips are different, obviously. Those are dangerous, and nobody should teach their players to chop block or clip.

The clip I posted was of VIRGINIA TECH. There may be one out there of UT, but if there was, I wouldn't post it here. It'd be rude.

I'd post that clip on a VT forum though because Eff those guys.
Longest day posted a clip of UT chop blocking a guy on the DL. So by the guys standard I was talking to, UT block dirty. ( I personally don't believe this)

You made the damning assumption that DEs heading for the QB intend to concuss them. That their "role" is to "deal permanent injury." Not just, you know, to tackle the QB before he can get the pass off. But to concuss him, injure him, take him out of the game.

That's no different than us assuming that Ga Tech OL are aiming at our players' knees with the intent to bust up their knees, to injure them badly enough to take them out of the game.

See how easy it is to assume the worst of the other guy and his intentions?

So no surprise that the fans of so many teams who play you do the same about your undersized OLine, eh?

Hypocrisy looks good on no one.

You made the damning assumption that DEs heading for the QB intend to concuss them. That their "role" is to "deal permanent injury." Not just, you know, to tackle the QB before he can get the pass off. But to concuss him, injure him, take him out of the game.

That's no different than us assuming that Ga Tech OL are aiming at our players' knees with the intent to bust up their knees, to injure them badly enough to take them out of the game.

See how easy it is to assume the worst of the other guy and his intentions?

So no surprise that the fans of so many teams who play you do the same about your undersized OLine, eh?

Hypocrisy looks good on no one.

I agree that the DE's are not out to hurt the QB that's just a crazy statement to me. But it's crazy to think we cut block to be dirty imo.

I agree that the DE's are not out to hurt the QB that's just a crazy statement to me. But it's crazy to think we cut block to be dirty imo.

Yep, I found it a bit crazy, too.

Not that there aren't defensive ends who try to knock the opposing QB out of the game. I'm sure there are some of those.

Just as there are linemen who target knees and ankles to take opposing players out of the game.

I don't think either of those dirty kinds of players are the norm. They're the exception. But it would be naive to think they don't exist.

The question is, what kind of reputation does a player have? There's a lineman for UGa, Kubinak (sp?) who was clearly a dirty player. Think he graduated last year, but he's the fellow who very intentionally took Shy Tuttle out in 2015.

Tennessee doesn't have any players who have "dirty" reputations. Never heard any opposing fan base say anything about any of our lads in the past several years, except the Jalen Reeves-Maybin tackle of Nick Chubb back in '14 or '15...but replay very clearly showed that JRM was very clean in the play, and all but one or two knuckleheads among the UGa fans even admitted it wasn't JRM's fault. And other than that, our lads all have clean reputations for good sportsmanship in their game, as far as I've heard.

Does Ga Tech have any players with a bit of a reputation?

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back