Hire Holgerson....

Holgerson would be a good hire... He'd have to find a DC to succeed here though.. They may win the Big 12 this year..

He's not successful because of Geno Smith. Check his background, dudes put up big numbers everywhere he has been as an OC. People are also overlooking the fact that he lost his DC Castille. I think dude went to Zona with Rich Rod. WVU had some really good defenses under Castille. I'm not saying hire him, I'm not saying don't hire him. It is funny to see some continually pumping up Dooley, then say Holgerson is only good because he plays in the Big 12. If that's the case then Dooley should have dominated at La Tech. Holgerson is a damn good coach. Dooley isn't even in the same galaxy as dude.

I agree 100%. Wouldn't mind seeing Dave Hart go after this guy if it comes down to it.

I agree 100%. Wouldn't mind seeing Dave Hart go after this guy if it comes down to it.

I've lived in WV and have a pretty good knowledge about their program. In fact my teams are 1-A)UT, 1-B) WVU. People on here don't really understand how amazing his accomplishments are at WVU. People remember what a struggle it was for RICH ROD to change Michigan from a pro style to a spread. But Bill Stewart was a Don Nehland deciple and was changing WVU from spread to pro style after taking over when Rich Rod left. So essentially half of their players were recruited to play in a pro style system yet Holgerson has made it work. They also ignore the fact that the majority of WVU's players are 3 star players. Yeah they have some 4 star skill players. But you can't tell me WVU manhandling Texas' 4-5 star Dline with a bunch of rag tag 2-3 star o-lineman wasn't impressive. And those lineman were recruited for a pro style system. They also embarrassed a much more talented Clemson team the same way. Now that my friend is coaching. One more thing. They replaced Bill Stewart after year 3 if I'm not mistaking. And look how it worked out for them. Stewart was a GREAT GREATman but an average to good coach (RIP Bill). But if he would have been given much more time at WVU it would have set the program back for a long time. But they pulled the trigger and got their program back on track. So for those saying a new coach would set the program back....that logic is completely backwards! See, Dooley is Bill Stewart made over. A GREAT GREAT guy but an average coach at best, and there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in his history that points towards anything different. If being a good guy was what it took to be a good coach Nick Saban would be a complete failure. Dooley has done a really good job at building a solid foundation at UT. He really has. But now is the time. Because after this season the recruits and their parents will see right thru his sales pitch. And in turn, the program will be set back for some time if we continue to lose to all of our rivals. TIFWIW

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
He will NEVER leave Tampa!!!! I say we hire Phil Jackson! Guy knows how to run an offense. And he has 6 rings! Whoops wrong sport.

He has the type of personality that you need in a coach.. He's arrogant, self confident and is probably a azz.. That's a winner as far as coach goes..

Everytime I see a hire this guy thread and people are wanting a Pass Happy Spread offense loving HC, I like to remind them we already have an OC like that - and he sucks in the SEC. Teams with those types of offenses tend to be very weak/soft on defense. The way you play in practice has an effect on your team's mentality. Defenses that prep all week against non-physical offense have issues on game day. Also, remember what has happened in big games with those offenses against SEC defenses (even middle tier teams)? SEC defense usually slows them down or stops them cold.

Man get off Chaney damn we score a lot even when we lose.

I've lived in WV and have a pretty good knowledge about their program. In fact my teams are 1-A)UT, 1-B) WVU. People on here don't really understand how amazing his accomplishments are at WVU. People remember what a struggle it was for RICH ROD to change Michigan from a pro style to a spread. But Bill Stewart was a Don Nehland deciple and was changing WVU from spread to pro style after taking over when Rich Rod left. So essentially half of their players were recruited to play in a pro style system yet Holgerson has made it work. They also ignore the fact that the majority of WVU's players are 3 star players. Yeah they have some 4 star skill players. But you can't tell me WVU manhandling Texas' 4-5 star Dline with a bunch of rag tag 2-3 star o-lineman wasn't impressive. And those lineman were recruited for a pro style system. They also embarrassed a much more talented Clemson team the same way. Now that my friend is coaching. One more thing. They replaced Bill Stewart after year 3 if I'm not mistaking. And look how it worked out for them. Stewart was a GREAT GREATman but an average to good coach (RIP Bill). But if he would have been given much more time at WVU it would have set the program back for a long time. But they pulled the trigger and got their program back on track. So for those saying a new coach would set the program back....that logic is completely backwards! See, Dooley is Bill Stewart made over. A GREAT GREAT guy but an average coach at best, and there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in his history that points towards anything different. If being a good guy was what it took to be a good coach Nick Saban would be a complete failure. Dooley has done a really good job at building a solid foundation at UT. He really has. But now is the time. Because after this season the recruits and their parents will see right thru his sales pitch. And in turn, the program will be set back for some time if we continue to lose to all of our rivals. TIFWIW

The exaggerated line splits and vertical set blocking allow for the underwhelmed line to play well. It is one of the things that Leach has done for years. Holgorsen doesn't do it as much, but it works great. People are missing the biggest thing about Holgorsen. Yes, the offense is amazing, puts up ridiculous numbers wherever he goes and leaves many defenses scratching their heads, but this is not the genius. Most of the concepts he runs are seen all around the country or rehatched from Chow and Mumme. Even the diamond sets at OSU were straight Spurrier 90s in shotgun. He puts those concepts into action larger ideas like the vertical set draw/stick reads and y-cross/screen reads. Theyre all packaged together, the QB can call his own plays, and the system is simple. It isn't over-complicated because they practice more efficiently than anyone. Really, all of the air raid teams practices set them apart from traditional teams. They get in, do their job, and get the small amount of plays timed to perfection with tags added on. Hell, even the warmups are simple. You could put money on it that he could make any offense, even Tennessee, put up much larger numbers than under current status. I might be a bit of a self-proclaimed hipster on this, but I've been advocating him since the Houston days.

He has the type of personality that you need in a coach.. He's arrogant, self confident and is probably a azz.. That's a winner as far as coach goes..

Wouldn't call him arrogant, maybe it is the red bull addiction and 3 hours of sleep per night leaving that impression. He can be a bit aloof ala mad scientist.

The exaggerated line splits and vertical set blocking allow for the underwhelmed line to play well. It is one of the things that Leach has done for years. Holgorsen doesn't do it as much, but it works great. People are missing the biggest thing about Holgorsen. Yes, the offense is amazing, puts up ridiculous numbers wherever he goes and leaves many defenses scratching their heads, but this is not the genius. Most of the concepts he runs are seen all around the country or rehatched from Chow and Mumme. Even the diamond sets at OSU were straight Spurrier 90s in shotgun. He puts those concepts into action larger ideas like the vertical set draw/stick reads and y-cross/screen reads. Theyre all packaged together, the QB can call his own plays, and the system is simple. It isn't over-complicated because they practice more efficiently than anyone. Really, all of the air raid teams practices set them apart from traditional teams. They get in, do their job, and get the small amount of plays timed to perfection with tags added on. Hell, even the warmups are simple. You could put money on it that he could make any offense, even Tennessee, put up much larger numbers than under current status. I might be a bit of a self-proclaimed hipster on this, but I've been advocating him since the Houston days.

I'm not saying hire him, I'm not saying don't. But he's a good coach without a doubt. I'm torn as I would hate to see him leave WVU, they struck gold in him. But I do think he would do well at UT. But for those saying firing Dooley would set the program back need to look no further than WVU.

Wouldn't call him arrogant, maybe it is the red bull addiction and 3 hours of sleep per night leaving that impression. He can be a bit aloof ala mad scientist.
I like his demeanor... He looks to have that IT factor you're looking for in a coach...

Ha, not to mention his response when the Marshall players said they had figured out the WVU offense's hand signals...

Has anybody mentioned him as a possible replacement for Dooley?

All_the_Right_Moves_medium.gif

I hear he has land in east Tennessee.. Trying to confirm whether he had affairs with cheerleaders also...Maybe three ways..

VN Store

Back