how long does CJH stay at UT?

Why? If he were to win multiple nattys here at UT, why would he want to go back to OU?
I didn't get the warm fuzzies during his press conference last week. He made comments about how someone on staff at OU was in his wedding. He's also talked about how his family is Oklahoma fans. I just think once he's accomplished what he wants to accomplish at Tennessee, his family and friends will convince him to take on the challenge the resurrecting OU's program.

I predict if/when he leaves, it will be for the NFL
I honestly don't get the draw of the NFL. Is it money? Is it the fact that you don't have to recruit? I personally find being an instructor and molding young inexperienced (pilots in my case) just as rewarding if not more so than working with guys set in their ways who have bad habits and/or are not interested in doing things in any way but the one they want.

Besides, his style of offense won't work in the boring old NFL.

I didn't get the warm fuzzies during his press conference last week. He made comments about how someone on staff at OU was in his wedding. He's also talked about how his family is Oklahoma fans. I just think once he's accomplished what he wants to accomplish at Tennessee, his family and friends will convince him to take on the challenge the resurrecting OU's program.
I grew up in Kentucky. I have zero desire to ever go back.

I could only see him leaving for a NFL job in the future, and maybe not even that. His recent success has proven that Tennessee has all of the resources, brand, appeal, and fan support to be a forever job. We all got burnt a little when Kiffin left to essentially go to a lateral school. But Kiffin was young, dumb, and unloyal. Josh doesn't share any of those characteristics.
USC is a historically more accomplished program than Tennessee that was coming off a run of 91-13 with 2 national titles over the preceding 8 seasons. Tennessee, while a top job, had been middling the last several seasons under Fulmer. And that's not even mentioning the fact that he had coached there before and had previous ties there.

Say what you want to about Kiffin, but it was hardly a lateral move. Especially at that time.

2 thoughts:

1. Heupel proved it only takes 2 years in todays CFB world to take a 3-7 team and turn them into a #1 team in the country, particularly a powerhouse like UT. (Even with sanctions and reduced scholarships). So that should be the standard at UT going forward.

2. The only jump CJH would make would be to the NFL, not a lateral college move with all this momentum.

Reactions: Kdbnab1
A winning football program consists of more variables than just the head coach. Many things have to line up (including a little luck) to win a national championship. A program (which includes reputation, recent success, recruiting pipelines, donor relationships, NIL, fan engagement, etc.) is like a flywheel. Once the speed has increased to maximum momentum, the head coach is only one of many important factors to maintain that momentum. And maintaining is easier than creating from scratch. We can find another great coach that would love to come in on the coattails of all that success.

I honestly don't get the draw of the NFL. Is it money? Is it the fact that you don't have to recruit? I personally find being an instructor and molding young inexperienced (pilots in my case) just as rewarding if not more so than working with guys set in their ways who have bad habits and/or are not interested in doing things in any way but the one they want.

It's the best of the best as far as players are concerned. Don't get the boring statement. And NFL offenses are already implementing parts of his style offense

A winning football program consists of more variables than just the head coach. Many things have to line up (including a little luck) to win a national championship. A program (which includes reputation, recent success, recruiting pipelines, donor relationships, NIL, fan engagement, etc.) is like a flywheel. Once the speed has increased to maximum momentum, the head coach is only one of many important factors to maintain that momentum. And maintaining is easier than creating from scratch. We can find another great coach that would love to come in on the coattails of all that success.

This is my fallback, too. If he were dumb enough to make that move (and I don’t think he is), I have all the confidence in the world that Danny White would bring in an excellent coach.

Didn’t I hear that Gruden is looking? And doesn’t he own land near Knoxville?

Sorry…I just had to….

Reactions: IndianaVol

I don’t get it either. College offers a longer career, greater control, and more appreciation from the fans and players. Nobody cares what former NFL coaches are up to these days. Once they move on, they’re completely done with an organization. Meanwhile, Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, and Phil Fulmer are all hanging around their former programs.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Nick Saban- WVU (edit: Kent St but grew up WVU fan)
Les Miles- Michigan
Bob Stoops- Iowa
Gary Patterson- Kansas State

None of those were ever HC at their alma mater and probably all had the opportunity if they wanted to. Stop being Chicken Little and acting like we're some second rate, stepping stone program. This is a destination job.

Last edited:
I don’t get it either. College offers a longer career, greater control, and more appreciation from the fans and players. Nobody cares what former NFL coaches are up to these days. Once they move on, they’re completely done with an organization. Meanwhile, Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, and Phil Fulmer are all hanging around their former programs.
Some people want to be low profile when they retire and couldn't care less whether anyone is thinking about them. I don't know if Fulmer is "hanging" around the program or not but we don't hear about if so. He would lack self awareness if so

By the time he wins the second NC here on Rocky Top, he is going to have a lot of good feels right here in TN. Its not like TN cant match money, recruiting, facilities (obviously Watkins field is 100x better) with an equally rabid fanbase, if not more so. Heupel wins 2 NCs here and he will be right up there with Saban and Kirby as far as hero worship.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
CJH has been a miracle worker since coming here. Tennessee is an outstanding place to coach. He's building an empire. But there is almost a certainty that he is going to get approached by someone like OU, Mich, FL, etc. and they are going to back a truckload of money up to his house and try to get him in the truck. My gut says that he stays just because he's built the empire or UT passes the hat to every fan in America to keep him here. I know he loves being here and Tennessee has treated him like royalty. But I can't help but fear that, despite the treatment at OU, he has a desire to coach there. I mean, the only thing that could be better that resurrecting a former football powerhouse is resurrecting you old Alma Mater. They haven't won a National Championship since he graduated. If he were to go there and do what he is doing here, he would go down as a Saban like legend. It would kill me to see it happen. Anyone else got any objective thoughts on this?
Chill and enjoy the ride, Heupel built this he isn’t going anywhere for a long time. We’re a Big Time university just like the ones you named! GBO

Reactions: SpookyAction
Nick Saban- WVU
Les Miles- Michigan
Bob Stoops- Iowa
Gary Patterson- Kansas State

None of those were ever HC at their alma mater and probably all had the opportunity if they wanted to. Stop being Chicken Little and acting like we're some second rate, stepping stone program. This is a destination job.

Nick Saban - Kent State

He grew up in WVa, but did not play at WVU.

I think the NFL is the only temptation he might not resist.
CJH is that perfect combination of skill and arrogance that makes him effective and want to try the bigger challenge.

The toughest part of coaching in the NFL is knowing how to win right now with a roster full of guys that aren't YOUR guys. Heupel has done that here and at UCF.
So he might feel like he has to try it if the NFL comes knocking.

The big factor is that being an NFL HC is just an easier and less time consuming job compared to consistent recruitment and the ever-present speeches and fund-raising.

I think he'll go back to Oklahoma eventually, but not before he accomplishes what he's set out to accomplish at Tennessee.
I don't think so. I think he likes here. Neyland just seems to be a better venue. Go back and listen to what he said after he won the Bama game in '22 (ok, I'll go find a link). I know, I'm a homer, but comparing stadiums and atmosphere, Norman seems a downgrade in my opinion. Gosh the sidelines in Norman could barely fit the benches in.

Listen Closely - Josh understands Rocky Top is unique and a treasure. Note: you don't have to watch the whole game (but it's fun if you are bored), it starts at the post game on field interview in the youtube link here.

I think he'll go back to Oklahoma eventually, but not before he accomplishes what he's set out to accomplish at Tennessee.
First, Venerables may be struggling w/ his offense, but I think he has the chops to be there for awhile. Secondly, SABAN, the coach killer, is gone...and all teams have difficult schedules now...not just UT and Auburn playing UGA and Bama every year. Saban singlehandedly got a number of coaches fired. I think you'll have some Auburn/Florida situations going on but if teams think they have an acceptable coach, I think they'll have longer staying power than before when SEC had divisions. IMO, JH will be here as long as he wants to be here, and unless he gets into a tenuous situation w/ UT, we're in plenty good enough position to pay appropriately. Building a program today, especially in the SEC is TOUGH, and not guaranteed, so if JH has the golden goose in one hand, I don't think he'd want to change that situation.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back