How to Regulate NIL

Money under the table was not even close to Money now.
Agree, but it's coming from more sources, I think, including businesses and many more common folks like me.

Markets commonly level off after an initial bump, but NIL hasn't slowed yet. Even when it levels, if it levels before the courts kill the college system, it's going to be quite a bit of money every year.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
First of all, either/or ...what? I absolutely did not frame this as "either/or" aside from whatever strawman false dilemma you are (very unsuccessfully) trying to create.

And I absolutely did not say this was "academics vs athletics". That would a false dilemma, because Universities are inherently academic. That is their purpose, period, dot. Athletics is a side show that happened to become profitable.

But back to the "false dilemma"...I am not pitting academics against athletics, what I am saying is that at the end of the day, the University has the sole discretion to decide whether a student is academically eligible or not, And if the University says "you haven't completed a semester in two years due to multiple transfers, you are not eligible", it's completely within their rights to do so.

Or are you saying a Federal court can order a University to admit a student academically against its own rules? That would only happen in a fantasy world of your making, but based on some of your other posts, you seem to live in one.
The irony of your claim that "universities are inherently academic", posted on a sports message board obviously escapes you.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Wrong. Universities are NOT inherently academic. That claim flies in the face of reality. They are inherently business institutions as well. They are inherently athletic programs as well. Apparently you missed the millions of dollars and hundreds of administrative staff members that universities have. Apparently you missed the 100K-plus fans that pack football stadiums every fall Saturday.

Your claim that universities are inherently academic is cherry picking at best. It's denial of reality at worst. Your claims are bogus. They don't reflect reality. The fantasy world here is yours.

Fortunately for the universities, their business, their funding, and their athletic teams, you are not the arbiter of what they are or how they operate.

And speaking of Strawman, that perfectly describes your last paragraph. I said no such thing and you know it. More fantasy.
Going a step further, I would submit that if the athletic department (and in particular the football program) weren’t VERY important to the university, Donde Plowman and Jonathan Skremetti would not have leveled all guns at the NCAA. If the university was only all about academics, they wouldn’t have wasted their time and resources. Right or wrong, college football is big business and is an integral part of schools like UT.

The irony of your claim that "universities are inherently academic", posted on a sports message board obviously escapes you.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
No, it doesn't and it isn't ironic at all. Universities do have sports teams, its legit to point out that they were not founded for that purpose. I don't think you even understand what irony is. (SMH)

Wrong. Universities are NOT inherently academic. That claim flies in the face of reality. They are inherently business institutions as well. They are inherently athletic programs as well. Apparently you missed the millions of dollars and hundreds of administrative staff members that universities have. Apparently you missed the 100K-plus fans that pack football stadiums every fall Saturday.

Your claim that universities are inherently academic is cherry picking at best. It's denial of reality at worst. Your claims are bogus. They don't reflect reality. The fantasy world here is yours.

Fortunately for the universities, their business, their funding, and their athletic teams, you are not the arbiter of what they are or how they operate.

And speaking of Strawman, that perfectly describes your last paragraph. I said no such thing and you know it. More fantasy.
Universities have become involved in the big business of sports. They were not founded for that purpose, nor is that what they currently exist for. Its a side hustle that got big, thus the issues.

You are getting the de facto status of Universities confused with their actual status.

Here is how you sound to me...

Hay gomer! At ole boy shore don't know that colleges makes money offen them thar atheleteses , do he? SHAAAZAAAAMMMM!!!!"

Give every player a percentage of revenue their program receives. Then deduct cost of tuition, books, R&B, strength & training, medical rehab, etc. Programs with a short fall will have to increase their revenue or payments thru fund raising.

Allow outside NIL deals but require the terms & contracts are filed with the school, conference or NCAA. Tax returns should be shared for verification

Give every player a percentage of revenue their program receives. Then deduct cost of tuition, books, R&B, strength & training, medical rehab, etc. Programs with a short fall will have to increase their revenue or payments thru fund raising.

Allow outside NIL deals but require the terms & contracts are filed with the school, conference or NCAA. Tax returns should be shared for verification
Once you make them pro athletes, that is, revenue share, you'll deal with them unionizing to collective bargain that percentage AND to have the stupidity of requiring paid professional athletes to go school.

If you LIKE turning college into non-college pro football, you've got a great plan!

Reactions: Voltopia

ANY interference with NIL by a school or by the NCAA is a federal antitrust violation.

The English and other European soccer leagues generally relegate the bottom 3 teams to the next lower league at the end of each season. Except for the Premier League, the top 3 in each league move up a level for the next year.

That's not going to work in college football, because there's no unified national tiered system. The other complicating factors are that each football conference is independent, and that the English soccer leagues are all pros.

Soccer teams that get relegated often have to cut payroll. They can choose to trade some if their most expensive (i.e. "best") players, or loan them to a team in another country for a season or two to cut payroll. There's no way to make that work in our college football system.
TIer 1: Power 5 (Power 4, maybe Power 3.5)
Tier 2: G5
Tier 3: FCS

There are exceptions, yes, which might sort themselves out.

Back in the 1980's, some of the MAC schools met the I-A (now FBS) requirements and others didn't so they were I-AA (now FCS).
I think the biggest problem is that you might have a year like 2003 when the MAC was particularly strong (Disband CFP Committee)
Miami of OH was led by Ben Roethlisberger. But then they'll not be as strong the year after promotion.

TIer 1: Power 5 (Power 4, maybe Power 3.5)
Tier 2: G5
Tier 3: FCS

There are exceptions, yes, which might sort themselves out.

Back in the 1980's, some of the MAC schools met the I-A (now FBS) requirements and others didn't so they were I-AA (now FCS).
I think the biggest problem is that you might have a year like 2003 when the MAC was particularly strong (Disband CFP Committee)
Miami of OH was led by Ben Roethlisberger. But then they'll not be as strong the year after promotion.
Multiple problems trying to do that if it involves relegation.

1. Conference affiliations, especially for football and basketball.
2. Multiple sports in college, only 1 in English soccer.
3. Much larger geographical footprint in college sports.
4. Independents, especially Notre Dame.
5. Counter examples - Memphis usually better in football than Vanderbilt is one.
6. Multiple different conference TV contracts.
7. Different TV GORs by conference.
8. Where do you relegate teams, since there are multiple 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tiers?
9. Military Academies.
10. EPL teams are all professional with corporate sponsors. Many have international sponsors. Example: Etihad Airways (United Arab Emirates) sponsors the Manchester City soccer club in the Premier League.

If relegation isn't on the table, then there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

With all thats going on with the Lawsuit and the wild wild west of the NIL world. I would love to hear some of your takes on how to set rules and regulations on this matter. Here is my opinion, it may be a bad one so dont judge me to harshly.

1.) i think the collective needs to have a salary cap. I feel like doing this wouldnt limit a potential athlete on how much he can make and wouldnt violate the sherman act. You Limit on how much the collective can offer athletes over a given period.

2.) Something has to be done with the transfer portal. I feel like Tampering is out of control and if an athlete isnt getting what he wants he just ups and leaves. I think we go back to 2006 transfer rules. Either you have to have graduated or require a 1 time transfer waiver. By doing this, you also put another kink in the salary cap of the collective. Because now they would be stuck paying the player who doesnt produce.

3.) We should go back to 1 signing day. Not 2. You make it in December and have a very long recruiting dead period for the holidays. These coaches are not getting enough time with their players or their families as it is. Then you add the current state of NIL and Transfer portal and coaches are just jumping to the NFL at the first chance they get.
How to regulate NIL?

Easy. Government is the answer.

I wonder if a union(maybe a branch of the NFLPA) could provide player representation and the ability to agree to limitations that bring some stability AND allow players to get what they are worth, without just arbitrarily violating players' rights.
Yea, that's a great idea....

Would you be required to do any of that if you took a job? Terms and contracts? Sounds vague. Hey let them earn what they can. Just like you. Crazy concept I know.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
You certainly seem to have an axe to grind on this, but your opinions are ridiculous and I simply can't consider you a serious person.

You act as if you are the only person in the world that knows college athletics is big business.

Your attitude also seems to be that money is all that matters, which is contemptible.

Most of all, you are grinding really hard on an obvious woke agenda. The reference to 1963 is pretty transparent. I will simply point out that not all athletes are black, which makes your comment pretty racist.

Are you saying only black athletes have "suffered"? Or that only they can get paid? ''

YOU RACIST **** YOU!!!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
That's utter 🐂💩 from start to finish.
What a list of Strawman, Non Sequiturs, and outright fabrications. Your claims aren't on the same planet with reality.

That's silly, contemptible, and bogus.
You're completely out of touch with antitrust law, and you're addicted to a world that no longer exists. How anachronistic of you.

Obviously, I struck a nerve.

Last edited:
Reactions: MemphisVol77
Universities have become involved in the big business of sports. They were not founded for that purpose, nor is that what they currently exist for. Its a side hustle that got big, thus the issues.

You are getting the de facto status of Universities confused with their actual status.

Here is how you sound to me...

Hay gomer! At ole boy shore don't know that colleges makes money offen them thar atheleteses , do he? SHAAAZAAAAMMMM!!!!"
For the educated among us, "de facto status" and "actual status" are synonyms.

YCMTSU! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I love it when woke folks argue with each other about who is more or less woke than the other...... whoever co-opted and then bastardized that term should be the next President of these United States 🇺🇸.

You've still never answered my question and it completely breaks your system:

Game #3 and Hooker and Hyatt start REALLY getting it together. Companies start to notice and start wanting to give them NIL deals. You can't stop them from signing big NIL deals, so they do. Those deals put UT over the cap.

What happens?

To make this very realistic:

Every year, the team starts below the cap, then after game #1, suddenly players sign NIL deals which put UT over the cap, but those deals end before next season starts. Next year, after game #1, again UT was under the cap and the players suddenly sign deals which put them over the cap but end before next year starts.

Given the open transfers, it makes sense to have one year NIL, so you can't ding the school for that. Given that it's illegal to prevent the players from signing an NIL at any time, you can't ding that. Given that UT was under the cap after the first game, you can't ding that.

Your plan is BS. You can't enforce it.

Players will be free to negotiate their NIL at any time, the school will have the opportunity to keep them on the active roster or not with any modification during the current season or until other roster moves get them back under the cap. A few smart guys can wordsmith the rules. The existence of NIL does not make those players count any different for the school's counters or travel squad rules than players without NIL. Just an additional data point on participation rules. Might have to play elsewhere but that is their option and their risk. But the real risk will be on the collectives if they are trying to pay for the combined value of a player and school instead of the player alone which is what the court ruling requires. HIS/HER name, HIS/HER image and HIS/HER likeness. Alabama money paying for a kid now playing at AU will be fun to watch. Still counts against AU if accepted and on their roster. Want to see a lawsuit...... try not paying if a player signs a deal, and school does not accept the cap hit and he moves on. But the NCAA is clean because the player has no cap, just each school as a member of the NCAA. Player can have his cake and eat it too, just can't demand where within the organization. If he can't find a home you better bet there will be defendable cause and it won't be the NIL deal.

Players will be free to negotiate their NIL at any time, the school will have the opportunity to keep them on the active roster or not with any modification during the current season or until other roster moves get them back under the cap. A few smart guys can wordsmith the rules. The existence of NIL does not make those players count any different for the school's counters or travel squad rules than players without NIL. Just an additional data point on participation rules. Might have to play elsewhere but that is their option and their risk. But the real risk will be on the collectives if they are trying to pay for the combined value of a player and school instead of the player alone which is what the court ruling requires. HIS/HER name, HIS/HER image and HIS/HER likeness. Alabama money paying for a kid now playing at AU will be fun to watch. Still counts against AU if accepted and on their roster. Want to see a lawsuit...... try not paying if a player signs a deal, and school does not accept the cap hit and he moves on. But the NCAA is clean because the player has no cap, just each school as a member of the NCAA. Player can have his cake and eat it too, just can't demand where within the organization. If he can't find a home you better bet there will be defendable cause and it won't be the NIL deal.
Dead horse. It's not going to get up and run any races. Give it up.

I love it when woke folks argue with each other about who is more or less woke than the other...... whoever co-opted and then bastardized that term should be the next President of these United States 🇺🇸.
One star thread BUT as usual good to spot people for the ignore list.

ANY interference with NIL by a school or by the NCAA is a federal antitrust violation.
Oh but this is interference in practically every state law. Most have restrictions on endorsements or contracts with gaming, alcohol, tobacco & cannabis. No interference in my proposal, just compliance that the income is legit & reported. IRS shouldn’t have any problem with that.

Oh but this is interference in practically every state law. Most have restrictions on endorsements or contracts with gaming, alcohol, tobacco & cannabis. No interference in my proposal, just compliance that the income is legit & reported. IRS shouldn’t have any problem with that.
The schools and the NCAA aren't agents of the IRS. It absolutely is a Sherman Antitrust Act for them to interfere in NIL in any way.

NIL income is between the IRS and the people who make money from it. Period.

You still don't answer.

It's so easy to get around the "cap" by just signing the deals after the season starts. The deal ends before the next season starts and a new one is signed after the next season starts.

You can't dismiss players for NIL signed after the season started. That's an instant lawsuit. You can't ding the team, they were under the cap when the season started.

What can the NCAA do?

It's a worthless cap idea.

VN Store

Back