Hurd likely out for season....is this a good thing for Vols?

it is the same shoulder he hurt last year i think it shows how tough the kid is to come back in and play with a shoulder dislocation. this is why its good to commit early kids.
Not necessarily a dislocation. Did you read that somewhere?

The upside of this for the Vols is the way the injury is being treated. Last year Reeves-Maybin carried his team on a shoulder with the same injury, starring on both offense and defense. He was an EE, but he had to miss Spring practice for surgery. If Hurd wants to EE, Spring practice at UT will do him much more good than running over a bunch of HS boys.

Reactions: 1 person
I found this in the article and was impressed: "He gained 177 yards on 20 carries, scoring three touchdowns in Sunday’s victory. He also had a first-quarter interception in the nationally-televised contest on ESPN2."

Hope the kid gets better and stays better. He seems like a good guy.

Wrong. Shoulder surgery can take time. He is an EE so he is likely out for the spring as far as contact. Injury is never good. The only good is that it happened early.

Agreed, he has nothing to prove.

It was a minor tear.. The point was, it could be a lot worse.

................well its good he got his 5th star already........

Like I said, he is going to have to gain a lot of weight to protect himself if he is to play RB... otherwise he will have many more injuries playing an SEC defense.

Ok, now that's just funny. You have no clue what you're talking about.

I feel bad for the kid because he's a big time player with a bright future, but this is how I'm looking at it. It's his shoulder, which has a year to heal and it's not stopping him from continuing to work on his footwork, agility, and speed. He had just as good of game after the injury happened as he did before it happened, so he can play through pain. He proved himself last year and during camps this summer, so we know he’s the real deal and worth the 5* rating. Once health, I think he’ll be even more of a monster stepping into camp next year.

"Beech will host Henry County on Friday. Hurd ran for 451 yards against the Patriots last year as the Bucs won 55-41."
:salute:

he didnt look injury prone when he ran all over us last year did he

Oh, and I hope it doesn't hurt his Twittering. Now that he has more down time, he can work the recruiting lines.

Hurd is not injury prone with a partially torn labrum.with surgery and rehab,he should be good for Ee in January. I am sorry for this injury;but,the timing is good for him and Tennessee.what if it had happened in Dec?all the best to our commits to play well and stay safe and major injury free.

Its never a good thing that somebody gets injured. Vol Fans were certainly not hoping he couldn't play his Senior year so he could save his efforts for UT. I wish you God Speed to recover Mr. Hurd.

Reactions: 2 people
It never is a good thing to get hurt, but on the upside he has plenty of time to heal and then hit the weight room to help strengthen his shoulder and put some muscle mass on to get him ready for his freshman year. Beats the heck out of a knee injury, at least in my opinion.

I hope that he takes care of himself, heals up and gets prepared for his time on Rocky Top.

No, not a good thing. I dont understand why anyone would think that about a UT recruit, or any kid.

Is that two surgeries now on his shoulder.. or am I thinking of someone else?

2 surgeries but different injuries. 2nd one not related to the 1st one. His mother said on VQ that he landed weird on it in the game and them another player fell on it.

I believe he is going to the Titans team dr. Dr Elrod? She mentioned that on VQ as well.

Yea, I saw where she said that it's better it happend early and that this way he'll be healthy and ready for Tennessee.

IF his parents are feeling ok with the situation then so am I.

Jalen's going to be great for Tennessee. Negative Nancys need to chill. I knew after i saw this on Twitter that VN would freak the f. out.

Just read where he injured his shoulder in last weeks game and is likely out for the rest of the season. Is this a positive for the Vols...giving him rest before he gets to UTK?

Not good news - I had questioned the wisdom of having him playing on defense and returning kicks, etc. I only watched a portion of the game, but was struck by how aggressive and what good leverage he had when tackling and blocking - which of course is a very good thing. He will be fine imo - and will have a remarkable career in Orange --

He can devote the next 5 months to rehab, studies, and of course recruiting. :)

I believe he is going to the Titans team dr. Dr Elrod? She mentioned that on VQ as well.

20 years ago while in the army, my aunt was run over by a vehicle during field movements, which crushed her legs from the top all the way down to her feet. Dr. Elrod was her surgeon and did an awesome job. She ran a year later for her army physical when a lot of other fat a$$ were making excuses why they couldn't. Long story short, Elrod is da man.

Reactions: 2 people
take a test:

everybody raise your arm straight up by your head, like raising your hand in class. Now, move your hand backwards while keeping your arm straight (without rotating like a girls softball windup would do), and figure out your range of motion. That's as far as the arm is supposed to go in it's socket, without rotation. Now, figure 230 lbs hitting the ground with a ball in the palm, forcing the hand farther back, as well as someone coming on top with force that pushes your body in the ground farther, while your arm is still straight and has gone passed the point of comfort in your socket, so it tears.

That's not injury prone. That's a freak accident and 9 of 10 people would tear their labrum with that fall. Double jointed people or gumby wouldn't. Last surgery was a cleanup and they are doing those often now because even a normal person's shoulder would benefit from removing spurs and scar tissue. Shoulder cleanups with no repair take 20 minutes. Labrum repair will take @ 1-1.5 hours.

later,

rednecks

Reactions: 3 people
The sky isn't falling. Hurd had this injury last year and chose to play through it instead of resting/healing because it was minor. That decision and his decision to play ironman has come back to bite him a little bit but the injury is still minor (in a slightly different spot but very likely related to ignoring the initial problem because he wanted to play). He could play right now if he chose to but it's not worth the risk of making things worse and the healing time longer when he's going on to play SEC football and wants to prepared for spring football. If he were a regular kid in his Sr year then he'd likely play through it and enjoy his last season to play organized football.

This is just a case of kid who wanted to play with a minor injury but knows he needs to heal for the next level. It still sucks that he won't get to enjoy his senior season of high school ball but he'll be fine come spring.

It's a smart choice.

VN Store

Back