I smell an upset

As I said, let me reemphasize "Miracle". It could happen. BTW, that UT team was really good and ranked. You are talking apples and oranges my friend. If we somehow beat Oregon this game, it should go down as the biggest upset in UT history. I base this on where UT and Oregon are as a programs at this point in time. It's night and day. Just saying.

Oregon is a good football team but you are giving them WAY too much credit. They are just one of several ranked opponents we face this year.

Are you saying if we beat any of em it'll be the biggest upset in Tennessee history? Or is that just reserved for Oregon?

btw...we've beaten a couple of pretty good teams over the last 100+ years.

Oregon is a good football team but you are giving them WAY too much credit. They are just one of several ranked opponents we face this year.

Are you saying if we beat any of em it'll be the biggest upset in Tennessee history? Or is that just reserved for Oregon?

btw...we've beaten a couple of pretty good teams over the last 100+ years.

Just went to "Oregon 247 Sports board"

Was amazed at all the positive comments about the Vol's and yes there fan base is taking us very serious. They also have been posting that there fan base should show good hospitality to our fans who travel out there. Some on there boards are saying we will be the toughest team they face.

Reactions: 1 person
Just went to "Oregon 247 Sports board"

Was amazed at all the positive comments about the Vol's and yes there fan base is taking us very serious. They also have been posting that there fan base should show good hospitality to our fans who travel out there. Some on there boards are saying we will be the toughest team they face.

Sounds like it should be a good trip. I wouldn't mind if we made this a semi-regular thing. A home n home every decade atleast.

Sounds like it should be a good trip. I wouldn't mind if we made this a semi-regular thing. A home n home every decade atleast.

Would love to go myself but work is getting in the way. Can't wait for this game to get hear it will be a good game. Im giving us a 40% chance to win. If we play hard for 4 quarters and a few brakes go are way we could pull this off. GBO

Last edited:
Would love to go myself but work is getting in the way. Can't wait for this game to get hear it will be a good game. Im giving us a 40% chance to win. If we play hard for 4 quarters and a few brakes go are way we could pull this off. GBO

Yeh...I cant go either. Gotta dang reunion sat. Told the boss we're outa there no later than 1315.

I'm about the same. Players are gonna have to play hard. Coaches need a good week of scheming. In game coaching and adjustments are a must.

And of course...Play for and make the breaks, if one comes your way SCORE.

Team 117 faces one of the most mind boggling six week stretches of football in NCAA history. Team 117 can compete this weekend, can compete every weekend, can pull off a surprise or two (starting this weekend) along the way.

The key for Team 117 for the next six weeks is can they wash off the fail that was Dooley and Sal? Can they forget about the past? Can they believe they are a new team ready to go to new places that Tennessee hasn't been in a long time?

The Ducks better be ready. If Team 117 has shower discipline and the anathema of Dooley and Sal are circling the drain, this game will electrify the fan base again.

I highly doubt Butch has shown every card in his deck. The offense against WKU and AP looked very basic. Some of you who have us being lucky to keep it within three scores were the same ones predicting WKU to possibly beat us. It's not an L until the final second ticks and Oregon is on top. Tennessee will keep it close and possibly win. If its a blow out ill be here Sunday morning to put mustard on my crow sandwich.

I smell a fan base thats been hurt so bad over the past few years that they are scared to fully get behind this team with any hope at all.

I smell a fan base that refuses to believe in our team but insists that our team believes in themselves.

I smell some of our own fans that cant wait to get on here if we lose and say I told you so.

I smell some fans that are predicting us to lose by 50 but will still come on here and complain if we lose by 3.

I hope our team doesnt smell the same crap that I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Really have a good feeling about this weekend. We have strong players and a stout oline. This is a statement game for us. Traveling across the country to play the 2nd best team in the country. Butch will have our boys spitting fire! I know most are chalking up the L, but this weekend has the makings of a battle, and our team will dig deep and pull it off. The running game will be what gets us the W.

34-30

I smell an upset also. Ole Miss vs. Texas.........

I smell a fan base thats been hurt so bad over the past few years that they are scared to fully get behind this team with any hope at all.

I smell a fan base that refuses to believe in our team but insists that our team believes in themselves.

I smell some of our own fans that cant wait to get on here if we lose and say I told you so.

I smell some fans that are predicting us to lose by 50 but will still come on here and complain if we lose by 3.

You have a very keen sense of smell! Sad, but true.

We are who our history makes us. Only the power of mental discipline overcomes the drudgery of our history.

With that in mind, here is to the new awakening! Hope is an expectation, even if unfulfilled initially. I have hope, an expectation that things are improving. How quickly and to what extent things are changing will be on display this weekend.

AMEN !!

I remember when our team,coaches and fans didn't believe ANYBODY could beat us until they proved it on the field.
It was that attitude they caused me to become a Tennessee fan when I was living in Heflin Ala. and 8 years old.

I smell the truth.

Dang good post.

I started a thread a few weeks back, comparing the recruiting rankings for these 2 teams the past 5 years, comes out exactly even, with a 14th national ranking for each team. The talent gap isn't as wide as most perceive, just haven't been coached worth a dime the past few years. If it is more than a 2 score loss, I will be surprised. Do I expect to win, no. Do I believe we have a puncher's chance, ABSOLUTELY! If we go +2 in the turnover department, we pull the upset. Never forget, those oblong shaped balls tend to have funny bounces sometimes. We are LONG overdue for the bounces to go our way.:hi:

THis is where I'm at. Do I expect to win - no, BUT With some good play and a few lucky breaks we will be right there at the end with a chance to win.

On Offense, our great o-line and solid running back duo keep our defense off the field as much. Running game keeps them honest, and gives opportunity for dink and dunk Play Action passes (worley can do those), and maybe a long one to North once or twice. Long, slow drives keep our defense from getting too tired.

On defense, we funnel EVERYTHING back inside, we disrupt the middle with our the size of our dline, we get a good inside rush. Smith and Maggit provide good outside pass rush, and our corners don't let anything behind them. Mariot'a isnt the best passer, this is our opportunity to be big with our solid front 7 and be big in the run game.

This is the only way we have a chance to win.

I think we are going to win, not to keep it respectable. If so, we will make a game out of it. If we go there wanting to keep it close, we get bead badly . I like our chances to make national headlines in the sports venue this Saturday !!!!!!

Really have a good feeling about this weekend. We have strong players and a stout oline. This is a statement game for us. Traveling across the country to play the 2nd best team in the country. Butch will have our boys spitting fire! I know most are chalking up the L, but this weekend has the makings of a battle, and our team will dig deep and pull it off. The running game will be what gets us the W.

34-30
I know it seems far, far fetched but the reality of it is it will take a big game like this the turn the corner whenever it does happen.

VN Store

Back