I smell an upset

I started a thread a few weeks back, comparing the recruiting rankings for these 2 teams the past 5 years, comes out exactly even, with a 14th national ranking for each team. The talent gap isn't as wide as most perceive, just haven't been coached worth a dime the past few years. If it is more than a 2 score loss, I will be surprised. Do I expect to win, no. Do I believe we have a puncher's chance, ABSOLUTELY! If we go +2 in the turnover department, we pull the upset. Never forget, those oblong shaped balls tend to have funny bounces sometimes. We are LONG overdue for the bounces to go our way.:hi:

Reactions: 2 people
Rarely do I go into a game thinking we won't win.

I usually go into Florida thinking we will win, and Bama thinking we will put up a fight.

But I don't think we have much of a chance with Worley.

Just about everything you can think of he has going against him.

Throws off back foot.
Bad arm strength.
No running threat.

If we can't put up points, our defense could play the game if their lives and we would still lose by 20.

We have to score points, and not just a few.

I started a thread a few weeks back, comparing the recruiting rankings for these 2 teams the past 5 years, comes out exactly even, with a 14th national ranking for each team. The talent gap isn't as wide as most perceive, just haven't been coached worth a dime the past few years. If it is more than a 2 score loss, I will be surprised. Do I expect to win, no. Do I believe we have a puncher's chance, ABSOLUTELY! If we go +2 in the turnover department, we pull the upset. Never forget, those oblong shaped balls tend to funny have bounces sometimes. We are LONG overdue for the bounces to go our way.:hi:

True but they recruit speed. As I said before we have to dominate the line of scrimmage and disrupt plays to try and throw them off their rhythm. We are bigger and stronger, but also slower. We will have to use our strength and size to impose our will on them.

Butch needs to shorten the game by running the ball successfully and throwing short passes to keep our Offense on the field and their Offense off the field a la Alabama 2009. If they can do that, an upset could in fact happen.

I bet BYU and Wash St fans weren't as hopeless sounding as some of you 'realists' on here. The only way to have confidence is to be confident; some of you set a really nice example for our football team...

Reactions: 1 person
That's the thing. We do have plenty to lose.

The more we dig into our bag of tricks, the more game footage we're giving Florida to use.

We don't need to beat Oregon... we just need to not get blown out. Play a well disciplined game with few penalties in a hostile environment preparing for a game the next week in another hostile environment.

We need to beat Florida.

I agree. But beating UO would be huge on a national recruiting level IMO. The kids we could pick up years down the road and in the next couple years would be tremendous. Not saying Florida wouldn't grab those guys as well, and the in conference magnitude, but for this year an Oregon upset would rival beating Florida in the swamp.

I've always thought this game would be a loss. I like our chances to upset Florida or S. Car a lot better. That being said, I think it's past time that we pull an upset.

I started a thread a few weeks back, comparing the recruiting rankings for these 2 teams the past 5 years, comes out exactly even, with a 14th national ranking for each team. The talent gap isn't as wide as most perceive, just haven't been coached worth a dime the past few years. If it is more than a 2 score loss, I will be surprised. Do I expect to win, no. Do I believe we have a puncher's chance, ABSOLUTELY! If we go +2 in the turnover department, we pull the upset. Never forget, those oblong shaped balls tend to have funny bounces sometimes. We are LONG overdue for the bounces to go our way.:hi:
Do an analysis off the current roster and i think you will see a big gap

We might accidentally win if you turn it over a lot.

Tell you what, though, in any event I doubt Driskel is allowed to pass more than 12, maybe 15 times in that game.

Give me a break. Driskel will look like the second coming of Brett Favre, if past UT v UF matchups have anything to do with it? He may suck every other game of the year and you go 2-10, but he'll show up when we get there. He looked all SEC in last years game, and everyone was talking about what a joke he was.

This goes all the way back to 1997, when the great Peyton Manning was matched up against UFs freshman QB Doug Johnson. It's uncanny.

Hope Driskell drinks the wrong swamp water this year.

BTW, I love the fact that we are even playing this game. You can't shock the world unless you are willing to play the best. We caught em' on their best year in 10', and may have done it again.

Nobody was giving us a chance in 91 vs ND or 04 vs UM. Both were ooc 2nd games of home and homes where the opponent was higher ranked and highly favored on the road. Not saying we are as close depth wise as those two.

But, I say go for it and shock the world! Can't wait to watch this game Saturday!

Reactions: 2 people
Plain and simple, we don't have enough depth to match up against Oregon for a whole game. Would I love to be wrong? Hell yes, but I doubt I'm wrong on this one. So whatever your smellin' is probably an indication it's time to change your Depends.

I smell an idiot who needs to take off the orange shades.

LMAO. Somebody spiked his orange Kool-Aid after the WKU game and he apparently hasn't stopped drinking since. Folks, I'm gonna say this once. Yes, anything can happen on any given Saturday, and I hope our Vols can somehow pull off a miracle this Saturday. But I want to reemphasize he word "Miracle" in that previous sentence because it will truly be a miracle if we win. With that said, please lay off the orange booze until Saturday; you are only setting yourself up for unnecessary heartache.

LMAO. Somebody spiked his orange Kool-Aid after the WKU game and he apparently hasn't stopped drinking since. Folks, I'm gonna say this once. Yes, anything can happen on any given Saturday, and I hope our Vols can somehow pull off a miracle this Saturday. But I want to reemphasize he word "Miracle" in that previous sentence because it will truly be a miracle if we win. With that said, please lay off the orange booze until Saturday; you are only setting yourself up for unnecessary heartache.

We're setting ourselves up for unnecessary heartache? How much more heartache can this program go through after the last few years? We have a coach that has obviously gotten through to our players that they can beat anyone in the country, which we're capable of, and has provided a spark for this football team to put us back in our rightful place. Tell me how we dont have hope after these last few years.

Miracles can happen! how many recall UT's come back victory over Notre Dame at South Bend in 1991.
How many times have we gone into a top 5 ranked team's house and beat them?

Miracles can happen! how many recall UT's come back victory over Notre Dame at South Bend in 1991.
How many times have we gone into a top 5 ranked team's house and beat them?

As I said, let me reemphasize "Miracle". It could happen. BTW, that UT team was really good and ranked. You are talking apples and oranges my friend. If we somehow beat Oregon this game, it should go down as the biggest upset in UT history. I base this on where UT and Oregon are as a programs at this point in time. It's night and day. Just saying.

We're setting ourselves up for unnecessary heartache? How much more heartache can this program go through after the last few years? We have a coach that has obviously gotten through to our players that they can beat anyone in the country, which we're capable of, and has provided a spark for this football team to put us back in our rightful place. Tell me how we dont have hope after these last few years.

Please read my post again. I said that "I hope for a miracle". I really do. But this is like getting snow in May in TN. It has happened, and could again, but I'm not betting on it. Love my VOls bro, but I'll take the blue pill.

a_finger_exercise_that_eliminates_almost_100_percent_of_stress.gif

I have a good feeling we are going to best those ducks

VN Store

Back