India, Pakistan, and Kashmir

They will shell and bomb each other along the border for a few days, might have a few skirmishes and call a truce. Pakistan would get crushed if they tried to mount an invasion if India and both countries have to know the first one to go nuclear will cease to exist.

The fact that no one has been nominated to be ambassador in five months is Trump's fault.

Agreed but what does that have to do with the situation. Someone is keeping the chair warm over there, probably a career diplomat instead of a political appointee given the job because the contributed to his campaign. You know, like most people chosen for ambassadorships.

Reactions: tennvols77
The Pakistani Army has reportedly cross into India. Attacked Indian Army posts at Nakial Sector Turkandi Raitla.

I think this is the most serious round of conflict in the last few years. I think I read last night India hasn't used aircraft to attack Pakistan since the 1990s.

So there looks like there was a small air to air scrimmage or India. Pakistani aircraft flying low, deploys countermeasure and takes some AA fire.

Be honest , did you even know that before this little skirmish or did you have to look it up to see if we had one ?
I’ll go first , I had no clue either way .
I did not know.
Agreed but what does that have to do with the situation.
Obviously it has no bearing on what's causing the situation. But in the event that there is a situation then not having a fully-functioning embassy is a handicap. Kind of like not doing routine machine maintenance isn't a problem until something stops working.
Things are getting real.
Define.

But in the event that there is a situation then not having a fully-functioning embassy is a handicap.

Care to inform us how ineffective an embassy is without an Ambassador? Is there no Deputy Chief of Mission holding down the fort?

Has John Hoover announced "Boss is away, let's party it up!" or something?

Last edited:
Reactions: hog88
Oh wait...

Deputy Chief of Mission John Hoover | U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Pakistan

John Hoover arrived in Islamabad, Pakistan as the Deputy Chief of Mission on August 30, 2017. He is a career member of the United States Senior Foreign Service who began his career with the U.S. Department of State in 1988.

From 2014 to 2017, John served as the U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Sierra Leone, where he helped lead the U.S. Government’s successful response to the world’s worst-ever Ebola epidemic. Before that, he was the Director of the Office of Regional and Security Affairs in the State Department’s Bureau of African Affairs (2010-2013). Overseas, John has served in Kampala, Uganda as Deputy Chief of Mission (2008-10); Nairobi, Kenya as Economic Counselor (2004-08); Shanghai, China (2000-2004); Taipei, Taiwan (1996-2000); Mbabane, Swaziland (1989-91); and Paris, France (1988-89). In Washington, he served as Pakistan Desk Officer from 1993 to 1995.

Prior to his Foreign Service career, John worked as an investment banker in New York and Tokyo, and as an English teacher in Japan. He is a graduate of Princeton University.

But wait! There's more to this special offer!

Chargé d’Affaires a.i. Paul W. Jones | U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Pakistan

Ambassador Paul W. Jones became U.S. Chargé d’Affaires a.i. to Pakistan in September 2018.

Ambassador Jones has served twice previously as U.S. Ambassador (to Malaysia and Poland), and has wide-ranging experience in South and Southeast Asia. As U.S. Ambassador to Malaysia (2010-13), he led significant growth in the bilateral relationship, particularly in commercial, people-to-people, and defense ties. In Washington, D.C., he served concurrently as Deputy U.S. Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan and Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for South Asian Affairs (2009-10). Jones was Deputy Chief of Mission and Chargé d’Affaires at the U.S. Embassy in Manila, the Philippines (2005-09).

In Europe, Ambassador Jones’ tenure in Poland (2015-18) was marked by a major expansion of security ties, including significant U.S. military deployments and defense contracts, growing trade and investment, and new youth exchange programs. As Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs (2013-15), he was responsible for all aspects of U.S. policy and operations in Europe, particularly Russia and Ukraine. He served previously as Deputy Chief of Mission at the U.S. Mission to the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), Vienna, Austria (2004-05) and in the same positon at the U.S. Embassy in Skopje, Republic of Macedonia (1996-99).

Ambassador Jones concurrently served as the Deputy Commandant and International Affairs Advisor at the National War College, National Defense University, in Washington, D.C. He is a career member of the State Department’s Senior Foreign Service. His awards include the Presidential Meritorious Service Award, the Robert C. Frasure Memorial Award for peace building, and several Superior Honor Awards. He speaks Russian, Spanish, and some Polish. He graduated from Cornell University and received master’s degrees from the University of Virginia and the Naval War College.

Ambassador Jones is married to Catherine Jones, author and technology entrepreneur in the fields of health and nutrition. They have two grown children, Aleksandra and Hale.

So, you're telling me that the Embassy in Pakistan is completely ineffective because the next two highest "ranking" individuals at the embassy have had not one, not two, but THREE different Ambassadorships to different nations?

Reactions: NorthDallas40
So, you're telling me that the Embassy in Pakistan is completely ineffective because the next two highest "ranking" individuals at the embassy have had not one, not two, but THREE different Ambassadorships to different nations?

If he wants to make Jones the ambassador, Trump can nominate him to be the ambassador. I think he's starting to play a game with this interim stuff so people aren't put up to the scrutiny of confirmations.

When are we going to have a Secretary of Defense?

Reactions: tvolsfan
If he wants to make Jones the ambassador, Trump can nominate him to be the ambassador. I think he's starting to play a game with this interim stuff so people aren't put up to the scrutiny of confirmations.

When are we going to have a Secretary of Defense?

Are we changing the subject because I just shot holes in your ignorant argument?

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Are we changing the subject because I just shot holes in your ignorant argument?

It wasn't an argument, it was an aside on Trump's way of operating. I mused that there's no official ambassador in Pakistan. There hasn't been one since September.

Does that mean the Pakistani embassy is is in chaos? Not necessarily. I didn't say that it is.

But given enough vacancies across the system, you're going to have problems that you wouldn't otherwise have. That's my argument.

Reactions: midnight orange
It wasn't an argument, it was an aside on Trump's way of operating. I mused that there's no official ambassador in Pakistan. There hasn't been one since September.

Does that mean the Pakistani embassy is is in chaos? Not necessarily. I ddidn't say that there is. But given enough vacancies across the system, you're going to have problems that you wouldn't otherwise have. That's my argument.

Are you saying those two aren't qualified?

Sounds like the argument you're trying to make.

Between this, the Venezuala issue, Syria, Yemen, the riots in France, Antifa, etc..... this really seems like everything is getting ready to boil over and erupt into complete chaos through out the world.
I hope not!

I try to be optimistic, but things do seem to be destabilizing.

Are you saying those two aren't qualified?

Sounds like the argument you're trying to make.

I admit I took a generalization statement and applied it to a situation which I did not fully research. I know no one else here ever does this.

If the Pakistani embassy is indeed working like a well-oiled machine, then I apologize to the employees in Karachi.

VN Store

Back