Is this another YEAR ZERO?

It amazes me how quickly everyone has forgotten how hard it was to find someone willing to take the job. Remember how the sports media classified the position as an "elite coaching job." Then, we couldn't even pay enough money to pull a coach from a lesser conference team (that happened to spank UF in bowl last year).

Look, I'm just as unhappy about losing as anyone else on this board. But, I can't believe how surprised everyone is about our current level of performance. It's going to take a little time before we right all the wrongs of the past few years. It sux, but that's the reality we're living in right now.

I hate to pile on, but seriously? We're already asking this question on discussion boards? Please stop. Please.

Loses one game to arguably the best team in the country at their place and now we are wondering how long he will be here? This fan base has some complete clowns that don't understand football at all

If I recall, most of you guys were just as hyped up about Dools and the "new" excitement of the program and how the orange pants were magical and, of course, felt pride in his claimnent to Saban.

Reactions: 1 person
Everyone bought into Dooleys year zero plan. So giving him three years actually was giving him four. Now, we all know the situation is worse now for Butch so do we give him four years to have an eight win season? Seems that everyone was all for Dools right up to and till the Ky loss. What's the over and under that if he doesn't have an eight win season by year three everyone will be calling for his head?
Wrong. Not everyone bought in. At his opening presser i remember saying, "UT just hired goober Pyle." I didn't buy any of it. Losing record. Lawyer. He never did anything to impress me. I thought the hire was indicative of the NCAA heat and incompetence of Hammy. Proved true. There is little doubt Butch can stop the attrition and build a competitive roster as well as change the culture.
Butch will have to do it blue collar, which he is. He isn't a guru, nor are any of his assistants.

Due to $$$ involved, our recent searches, and bare cupboard I'll say he gets 6 years. JMO

Agree...If the AD is now trying to decide which games we can afford to send the band, my guess is it will be quite a few years before we have more coach money. Personally I still think we have our guy now....

Reactions: 2 people
Well these threads started quickly. CBJ is not Dooley. He has a winning resume. We have to give him the time he needs to rebuild. It's going to take a few years. Year three is going to be a team full of sophomores and freshman starting. Year 4 or 5 I think will be the earliest that The Vols could be relevant again. It stinks but that's where it's at.

If the Vols win Saturday, then he Should get a 20 year extension, with a billion dollar buyout from both sides

Well these threads started quickly. CBJ is not Dooley. He has a winning resume. We have to give him the time he needs to rebuild. It's going to take a few years. Year three is going to be a team full of sophomores and freshman starting. Year 4 or 5 I think will be the earliest that The Vols could be relevant again. It stinks but that's where it's at.

That's what everyone said bout Dools!

That's what everyone said bout Dools!

It's not at all the same. Compare their records as a HC, their experience, and the number of conference championships in previous jobs. Dooley's recruiting was no where near what Jones's is at this point. With CBJ their are good reasons to be patient.

It's not at all the same. Compare their records as a HC, their experience, and the number of conference championships in previous jobs. Dooley's recruiting was no where near what Jones's is at this point. With CBJ their are good reasons to be patient.

I've thought about that because it's avalid point. Then I reflect that he followed another coach who had already established those programs.

Let me first state that I believe Butch will be a success.

Let's just say that things didn't work out, I would think it would be more dependent on what individuals like Haslam, etc wanted to do than what UT athletics wanted to do. The guy gets three year minimum worst case scenario, if he keeps recruiting at a high level and is just mediocre he gets five years.

Depends on when Gruden wants the gig.

He would have beat Oregon.

:eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol:Gruden is a Dufus AND would have got beat worse than we did because the Ducks coach would have keep playing his starter, beat the ducks:eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol:

Why are you asking......why do you think you have a say....why do you question this....what is your problem.....a better question for you to ask yourself....is am I a fan...am I a troll...do I have any control over UT athletics.....

Mods please merge this thread with all the other threads like fire Cheek and Hart and moronic threads that deal with getting rid of threads...seriously these type threads clutter the boards forum....they are useless and just draw attention to negativity...

It will take 4 years to get back to the top and thats with good recruiting, thats why we got to keep this class together, next year will be worse than this year 2015 is the year that we will improve for the next 2 years we going to get our ears beat of week after week thats just the way it is, not begin negvol but we are young and raw, and we are going to pay with a bunch of azz kicking, i hate it but we better get ready to fall on our face a lot these next 2 years, because its going to get bad before it gets better.

Everyone bought into Dooleys year zero plan. So giving him three years actually was giving him four.
Umm, math is not your strong suit is it? Dooley got three years.... including "year zero".

Now, we all know the situation is worse now for Butch
No. It isn't. Not even remotely close to as bad as it was 3 years ago. UT's program was in total disarray after Kiffin left and the roster was absolutely horrible. There were virtually NO quality upper classmen.

Butch's real problem is that the talent gap on this roster is in the middle. The Sr's have talent. He got a few players this year that can help after being set up very badly by Dooley. I don't blame him for not getting a great class... but he really needed one. All this means is that this year's roster is likely stronger and deeper than next year's and possible the next year's. IMHO, he still has to get a win THIS YEAR that he can hang his hat on going forward PLUS win the ones he "should" win... there are six of those.

so do we give him four years to have an eight win season?
Probably not even if he could potentially turn into a great coach. If TN had more instate talent then you could probably let him have that 4th year with a record at about .500 over the first three years. But he MUST do something to prove he is a coach worthy of having out of state talent coming to play for... out of state recruits must view him as BETTER than their instate options and other out of state options.

Seems that everyone was all for Dools right up to and till the Ky loss. What's the over and under that if he doesn't have an eight win season by year three everyone will be calling for his head?

The better question is which of the next 3 years does his roster and schedule give him the best chance of winning 8? It is NOT next year so you'd have to look at '15 vs this year.

I don't think it takes 8 regular season games though. If he can beat someone this year as an underdog and total 7 games, win six next year, then 7 or 8 the followin year- I think he gets a year four and SHOULD get a year four.

However this is ALL contingent on him proving he can outcoach one of the top tier programs. If his victories have all come against the Vandy's, Mizzous, and lesser programs... then I don't think he should get a year 4 nor do I think UT can afford to give him one.

The bottom line for me is that everything hinges on him proving he can outcoach coaches that head the better programs he will face. He needs that for booster/fan support and he needs it for recruiting credibility.

VN Store

Back